You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #1481
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

The Matador
Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #1482
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Paris je t'aime.
I remember reading about this a while ago. I didn't realise it came out yet. I had a feeling that it would be somewhat hit or miss from story to story. I find that these big well known directors tend to have problems with the short film medium.

There was one a few years ago about New York (I think with Woody Allen, Scorsese and Coppola, which you think would be the greatest thing ever commited to film). Not great. And then there was Three Extremes last year with Chanwook Park (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance), Fruit Chan (I'm not sure) and Takashi Miike (over-rated ultra-violent crap). Also not great.

Oh well.

And I just saw Monster House which was good old-fashionned fun.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #1483

A Scanner Darkly - it wasn't a terrible movie, but it never really drew me in. The acting wasn't noteworthy, and the rotoscoping was only so-so. Having read the book, it felt like much was missing.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #1484
is not wierd

Really? I've been reading that it isn't so good. I really liked the book, so I was rather looking forward to the movie.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #1485
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom
The Matador
What's that one like?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #1486
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
What's that one like?
I really enjoyed it, had me laughing almost the whole way through. I was confused at the end however. Be warned however, that to me this movie has no gray area. You either love it or you hate it.

Spoiler:
Did Danny help Julian do the hit in Mexico City?

Last edited by [toj.cc]Phantom; 07-27-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 AM   #1487

Saw (second seethrough)

Spoiler:
I still can`t help being impressed by the ending. Who saw ( ) that one coming?

Last edited by KriD; 07-29-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #1488
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Van Veeteren - Fallet G
Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #1489
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

The Lake House

Very, very nice. Certainly not unpredictable, but it's not about surprises. Given that, though, I'd say the ending shouldn't be what it is.

Spoiler:
Personally, I find that instead of saving him, she should've been too late to do so. It would have had more emotional impact than saving him did.

Hm. Short review! Oh well. Watch it.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #1490
is not wierd

I saw Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest last night, finally, but more importantly I saw Scoop today.

Pirates 2 was alright, but it started lagging for a while, between the cannibal section (did anyone else think one of them resembled Lemonhead? maybe I was overthinking) and the climax. As I'm sure soem of you guys have pointed out, it did seem to be referencing the Monkey Island games at least to the extent of run-ins with cannibals and a voodoo lady, althought ironically I thought this one lacked the same whimsical near-MI humor of the first movie. It was as though everyone involved suddenly took the series a lot more seriously, even though the fact they didn't in the first was what made it so charming. Here's to a better conclusion.

Scoop, I thought, was amazing. Perhaps the best movie I've seen thus far this year (which is admittedly not as many movies as I'd like). Woody Allen + Scarlett Johansson + London = success, apparently. Although I never found his recent movies as bad as most critics complain about, but Match Point and Scoop are genuinely great movies and probably modern masterpieces in their own right, especially when viewed together. Anyway, Scoop was immensely enjoyable and hilarious, and the cast was perfect and Allen's script was both witty and approachable and unique like most of his movies.

:sigh: I know this movie won't help my lovesickness for Scarlett Jo.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I remember reading about this a while ago. I didn't realise it came out yet. I had a feeling that it would be somewhat hit or miss from story to story. I find that these big well known directors tend to have problems with the short film medium.
There was this movie called Eros, about three love stories, each directed by a different film-maker. They were Antonioni, Soderbergh, and Wong Kar Wai.
All in all, I loved this movie, all three parts of it, even though Wong Kar Wai 45 minutes jewel kind of eclipsed the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
What's that one like?
I thought it was funny, but I can't remember a thing about this movie only a few months after seeing it, so it probably wasn't that great.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #1492
Club a seal or two

The Third Man
This movie puzzles me. Why did Harry call Holly to come to Vienna in the first place? When Harry Met Holly, why did Harry run?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:43 PM   #1493
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw Superman Returns about half an hour ago.

I was ecstatic when the intro credits came up on the screen.
Man I really do love that John Williams classic theme music, and Singer made the intro look like the original was, very nice!

I feared that the movie would be too long, as it was over 2.5 hours, but in the end, the movie went by really quickly. It brought a big smile to my face almost continuously throughout the whole movie.

Actors were really good, Brandon Routh was the best, clearly. Kevin Spacey did a good performance also even though his role as Lex Luthor wasn't as big as I had imagined.

Only one that I had some problems with was Kate Bosworth, but even before I saw the movie I thought that she wasn't entirely perfect for the role.

Superman is back and I'm really happy about it. This movie did not fail me.
I had a great and very delightful company at the theater so that certainly helped me to enjoy the movie that I had waited to see for so long.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #1494
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
and very delightful company at the theater so that certainly helped me to enjoy the movie that I had waited to see for so long.
Kolzig has been on a date again!
Tell us, tell us!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #1495
The Reggienator

Hmm, well I'd prefer not to tell too much.
She is a really, really nice person to be with, she is the same age as me.

And I like her a lot.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #1496
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Cars

A charming movie, people said its the downfall of pixar? Hardly, its a great family friendly movie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 08-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #1497
is not wierd

I saw this little movie called Brick, basically a highschool film noir. Pretty damn good, I thought. Perhaps I'll write more later.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #1498
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

In the last two days I've seen Star Trek V: The Undiscovered Country and The Passion of the Christ. Very different (obviously), though I could probably argue that they have a lot in common if I was so inclined.

I may or may not write some comments on the latter film tomorrow; I need to sleep on this one first. As for Star Trek... well, I made some comments in the Thread™. If you really care about what I think, take a look there.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #1499

Pirates of the Carribean 2.

I loved it, but then, how could I not love it. Action, adventure, pirates, Monkey Island-ish, with Johnny Depp and Keira Knightley (it's not that I like her that much as an actress, but she's definetely a cutie).

The child in me can't wait to see the third part. Fun.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #1500
The Reggienator

I watched Man with the Screaming Brain a few days ago.

A brand new Bruce Campbell movie that was written, directed and acted by Bruce Campbell. The movie also starred such stars as Bruce's friend Ted Raimi and Stacy Keach.

A really weird B movie, that's guaranteed Bruce Campbell quality.