View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #1490
Spiwak
is not wierd

I saw Pirates of the Carribean 2: Dead Man's Chest last night, finally, but more importantly I saw Scoop today.

Pirates 2 was alright, but it started lagging for a while, between the cannibal section (did anyone else think one of them resembled Lemonhead? maybe I was overthinking) and the climax. As I'm sure soem of you guys have pointed out, it did seem to be referencing the Monkey Island games at least to the extent of run-ins with cannibals and a voodoo lady, althought ironically I thought this one lacked the same whimsical near-MI humor of the first movie. It was as though everyone involved suddenly took the series a lot more seriously, even though the fact they didn't in the first was what made it so charming. Here's to a better conclusion.

Scoop, I thought, was amazing. Perhaps the best movie I've seen thus far this year (which is admittedly not as many movies as I'd like). Woody Allen + Scarlett Johansson + London = success, apparently. Although I never found his recent movies as bad as most critics complain about, but Match Point and Scoop are genuinely great movies and probably modern masterpieces in their own right, especially when viewed together. Anyway, Scoop was immensely enjoyable and hilarious, and the cast was perfect and Allen's script was both witty and approachable and unique like most of his movies.

:sigh: I know this movie won't help my lovesickness for Scarlett Jo.