You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #2481
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

ATMachine: With no insult intended, it is the single most overused flag in movies. Of course, I assume this is symptomatic mainly of that many movies are made in the US, but it does get tiring. I don't know what Panthera was trying to imply, but frankly, if I said the same thing, I would be implying "overused symbolism", and not "the US sucks". Just a head's up that quite possibly, no bashing was intended.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #2482
Elegantly copy+pasted

Many Europeans find casual appeals to knee-jerk patriotism at best hokey, at worst disturbing. We're not, on the whole, as comfortable with nationalistic symbols, outside of certain conventional contexts, as Americans are. It's a culture difference, not necessarily US-bashing.

Not to suggest that the two banners carry the same historical baggage, but how would you feel if Spider-Man was waving the Confederate flag about?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #2483
Retired Buccaneer

Yes, you're probably right. I overreacted a bit. Sorry.

Pinksie, I do agree with your point: the American flag as symbolism is overused in movies, used as a crutch to say "patriotism!" or "bravery!" instead of actually, you know, showing a character doing a brave or patriotic act. Especially in Spider-Man, as Panthera mentioned. (I read they reshot the first film after 9-11 to show New Yorkers insulting the villain. That made me angry.) I guess it was just the wording of Panthera's post that got to me.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #2484
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

No biggie! For what it's worth, I don't feel it was an overreaction, just a (possible) misunderstanding - and as such nothing to apologise for. If anything, I'm simply glad you're not upset anymore. *dunnlikes upsetness*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #2485
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Umm.. am I supposed to answer to this now?

pinkgothic was completely correct, I hate the symbolic use of the American flag to show how patriotic and brave and a hero someone is.. I'm sorry the wording confused you, but I was kinda writing the post like I was talking to someone who'd just seen the trailer, and knew immediately what imagery I was talking about.

I get an "ugh" feeling every time I see that imagery - a person in front of a waving flag (it is almost always the American, but it isn't any better when it's an other country), because of what it's trying to say, and make me think.. It's almost a sort of propaganda..

and by the way, I've never been big on the "this flag symbolises our country, and if you bash "my" flag, you bash me", so I wouldn't have a very big problem with you going around talking bad about the norwegian flag (or Norway, I'm not nationalistic), even though I might not understand why you're doing it.. I never become angry when seeing someone burn a flag, for example, no matter what nationality they or the flag are..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 04-29-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #2486
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
"Equilibirum", well not really. After about fifty or so minutes I switched channels. You do the maths.
You certainly missed out. Equilibrium is an absolute gem. If you're any kind of cynic you have to watch this film just to see how hilarious it is. To cap if off afterwards, google some true fan websites for it (Gunkata ). Piss yourself laughing. There's enough to it to keep you watching, I felt.

As mentioned earlier, there is NOTHING in UltraViolet to make you last the distance, not even for how terrible it is (believe it or not I did sit through it). I'm not surprised to learn of a director's cut. I could not believe how horridly edited the 'theatrical' cut is. Its like there are whole chunks of the film missing and scenes are often out of order.

I've just watched (again, the first time I was much younger) The Draughtsman's Contract. Its probably the most tame (and straightforward) Peter Greenaway film I've seen and certainly not my favourite anymore. I had fond memories of it I've now spoilt, I always remembered it as more raunchy and excessive but I was something like 13 that first time.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #2487
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Last night, I saw Notes on a Scandal. I was euh slightly tipsy (Queensday!) so at times I didn't know what was happening

But still, I really enjoyed the movie, especially the cruel mindgames and the terrific acting. Although, Sheba was responsible for her own actions, I do believe that she was the victim of the mindgames of two cruel persons.

I have to watch this movie again
Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #2488
The Major Grubert.

The French Lieutenant's Woman.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #2489

Timeline - I was expecting something terrible, but it was actually enjoyable even though it had many flaws. I suppose Crichton's story helped it be good, but the movie was missing a lot of depth that the book had.

There's Something About Mary - it was funny but off-putting as well. When the guy with hives showed up I thought they were going for a 180 in the movies direction, so that had me worried for a minute.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 AM   #2490
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

History Boys....interesting, unjudgmental and very British sort of film....I enjoyed it.

...and about flags in US pop culture...it's hardly surprising that they'd be there in Hollywood films...The country is just like that- flaggy. People have flags on their houses, businesses have flagpoles displaying US, State, and often Canadian flags as well. Americans of Irish heritage often display Irish flags. Lots of Southerners still display their Confederate flags. Schools have US flags and everyone has to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, which we're coached to say from kindergarten in a sing-songy voice, even though we don't really comprehend the words until later. It usually sounds thus: ("I PLEDJAleejintz TO the flag of the UnITed States of AmERica and TO the Republic for WITCHITstands, ONE nation, UNDERgod, INdivisible, with LIberty and JUStice for ALL.")

It's just a flaggy place. Including it frequently in film seems to be a natural representation of the prevailing American culture. Of course sometimes the representation takes on a slightly different meaning, that is, one aimed squarely at American audiences which urges them to strengethen their "tribal" allegiances with other Americans, hence big, wavy flag symbolism as in Spiderman. I'm not sure who makes these decisions. Personally I disapprove of anything gratuitous in art, be it pointless sex, pointless violence, pointless toilet jokes, pointless product placement, pointless nudity, pointless romance, or pointless patriotic propaganda. Such material makes for interesting pop culture study, but not for better films....However, the numerous casual flag glimpses that one encounters in films are usually pretty genuine-it's just like that in the US.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 AM   #2491
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Last night I saw the documentary: Deliver Us From Evil

OMG!

I was so pissed off after seeing the documentary, still am actually.

I still can't believe that people haven't acted on the way the Catholic church works. Protecting pedophiles, keeping everything secret. This stuff pisses me off big time!

Quote:
Moving from one parish to another in Northern California during the 1970s, Father Oliver O'Grady quickly won each congregation's trust and respect. Unbeknownst to them, O'Grady was a dangerously active pedophile that Church hierarchy, aware of his predilection, had harbored for over 30 years, allowing him to abuse countless children. Juxtaposing an extended, deeply unsettling interview with O'Grady himself with the tragic stories of his victims, filmmaker Amy Berg bravely exposes the deep corruption of the Catholic Church and the troubled mind of the man they sheltered.
A must see documentary, but keep in mind, you'll probably feel sick to your stomach afterwards...

Last edited by Bobske; 05-03-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 AM   #2492
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkleCat View Post
Schools have US flags and everyone has to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, which we're coached to say from kindergarten in a sing-songy voice, even though we don't really comprehend the words until later. It usually sounds thus: ("I PLEDJAleejintz TO the flag of the UnITed States of AmERica and TO the Republic for WITCHITstands, ONE nation, UNDERgod, INdivisible, with LIberty and JUStice for ALL.")

You're awesome!

Yeah, it's one of these cultural things, and.. well I don't really get it either, so there's the possibilty that it can rub me in several wrong ways too. The most awesome use of flag abuse I've ever seen was probably in Dick, a pretty clever movie actually. Funny, tooooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You certainly missed out.
If only I had known before..... damnit!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #2493
In an evening of July...

The House of Yes

It was amazingly good. Parker Posey is lovely, crazy and sleeps with her brother in this movie. Also, the guy who wrote the dialoges is a genius.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #2494
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

The Fountain & Butterfly Effect .
Not quite as I expected. Actually it was really bad. Especially BE 2.
The Fountain...well, it could be better, 7/10
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 05-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #2495
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post

The House of Yes

It was amazingly good. Parker Posey is lovely, crazy and sleeps with her brother in this movie. Also, the guy who wrote the dialoges is a genius.
It is a fabulous film. Hmmm, I think I need to see that again (saw it in 2004).

Did I mention that I want Parker Posey to have my children?

Last I saw was Watership Down.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #2496
The Major Grubert.

By the way, I looked at my Netflix history and discovered that I've seen 416 films from them since I joined in 4/26/04. That doesn't count those seen in the theater or rented at local rental shops (not a lot).
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #2497

I've got 222 movies rated for my Criticker profile, and I joined there a year ago. Only a few of them I haven't actually watched in the past year. That seems like quite a lot for a year, now that I think about it.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #2498
is not wierd

Man I've been busy this semester! No more school till next fall though, which means more movies to see! Yay.

I'll post reviews as I see them.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #2499
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER

I was verry excited to see a movie made by the guys who made Hero & House of Flying Daggers, but to me this movie was boring and stale, it had its few moments but overall not as good as the wonderful piece of work that is House of Flying Daggers, its visually sometimes over the top, some scenes just go overboard with colour, the fight scenes were nothing special they were masses of people just killing eachother, not enough special/cinematic moves. Im just slightly dissapointed that this doesnt live up to HoFD. Everyone go watch Azumi instead of this.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #2500
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Curse of the Golden Flower also had Gong Li.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.