You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 05:11 PM   #1521
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
That one episode with a newly elected president and an approaching alien race is one of the most compelling pieces of TV drama I've ever seen. Hmmm, you've made me want to see it again now... VCD hunting time.
I've seen a fair few episodes of the newer Outer Limits, and I definitely remember that ep. That one was scary and awesome and scarily awesome.

The last majorly interesting things I watched are the old Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons that were made way back in the 1940's. Great stuff, even if the video quality is not so hot.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #1522
Roar?

The latest movie I saw was Pirates 2 or whatever it's called. The story was meh, but the baddies were the BEST EVER. Also my dad and I kept exclaiming, "Hey! Monkey Island!" like the nerds we are.

I have The Company to watch next. I'm a sucker for terrible movies about dancing (Center Stage = Best. Movie. Ever). I can't wait to see Step Up.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #1523
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
There are probably quite a few people in the UK who were fans of both The Outer Limits and The X Files, simply because they were shown in the same slot at different parts of the year. True fact.

That one episode with a newly elected president and an approaching alien race is one of the most compelling pieces of TV drama I've ever seen. Hmmm, you've made me want to see it again now... VCD hunting time.
My favorite was the Christmas episode where the woman accidentally shoots herself in the head and becomes hyper-intelligent, then delusional. Dean Martin's bubbly Christmas song "I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" added just the right counterpoint to the dark storyline.

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #1524
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I'm going to go see Lady in the Water or my Super Ex Girlfriend today, I'll see which one I choose when I get there.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #1525
Psychonaut

Miami Vice

Fast cars, Fast Boats, Fast Women all shot with a moody atmosphere.

Visually reminicent of "Collateral" at times.

Thought it was great. Probably one of the better films i've seen this year. Very enjoyable, even the laugh out loud sex scene with Colin Farrell.

Finished with one of manns trademark realistic shootouts.

I would recommend it.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #1526
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

OMG, My Super Ex Girlfriend is actually a really good film, it didnt feel like it dragged on or anything the pacing is great and this is so not your cliche chick flick, its better than Super Man Returns, thats for sure.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #1527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Miami Vice

Thought it was great. Probably one of the better films i've seen this year. Very enjoyable, even the laugh out loud sex scene with Colin Farrell.

I would recommend it.
Yeah, there was something good to it. I'm sure the character development and story could have used work, but other aspects of it were keeping me entertained so I didn't care. I'd definitely see it again.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:15 AM   #1528
is not wierd

The Conversation - Francis For Coppola
Network - Sydney Lumet
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - Russ Meyer

Man, the 70s was a great time to be a movie. And Jesus, Russ Meyer loved big tits.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #1529
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm at San Francisco's Castro Theater last night and it was amazing. I forgot how awesome that movie is.

Also as an added bonus, they played the film's original overture and intermission music (yeah, they included the original intermission break right after HAL reads Dave and Frank's lips in the pod). It was the best moviegoing experience I've had in ages.

On the opposite end of the movie spectrum, I walked out on Miami Vice half way through. It wasn't grabbing me and I wanted to go to sleep. I got up from my seat to go walk to the bathrooms, but ended up walking all the way to my car. I thought Collateral was excellent, so I had really high hopes. Oh well.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #1530
gin soaked boy

The Evil Dead. Its characters' actions lack believability, which is pretty unfortunate for what aspires to be a serious horror film, but otherwise it's Æ’ucking awesome! Now that I've seen all three, I must say this one's my favorite.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #1531
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Star Trek: Insurrection
While it certainly feels more like an extended television episode than an epic film, this was perfectly enjoyable. Much better than the first, third, fourth or fifth films, too.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #1532
It's Hard To Be Humble

The Big Sleep. Classic B&W Bogie film with the sharpest Hollywood-perfect dialogue ever. Every line is a keeper. Fairly sexist, but it all feels true to the period (1930s detective fiction).
Old 08-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #1533
delusions of adequacy

SBS (a tv channel down here) is running a series of Jim Jarmusch films. I have unfortunately missed all of them up till now but managed to catch Night on Earth.

Interesting film. The stories where a little cliche but where well told.

Dead Man is on this week and I hope to catch it.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #1534
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm at San Francisco's Castro Theater last night and it was amazing. I forgot how awesome that movie is.

Also as an added bonus, they played the film's original overture and intermission music (yeah, they included the original intermission break right after HAL reads Dave and Frank's lips in the pod). It was the best moviegoing experience I've had in ages.
I'm so jealous!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #1535
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Immortel
Spelt correctly. It's French, though filmed in english.

I did a forum search if I'd written a review - could've sworn I did - but it returned no results, and I don't want to go through all the pages of this thread, so if I'm boring you with a repetition of old news, sorry.

BoyToy bought me the 2-DVD version of this, and so I watched it again. It's still an amazing masterpiece - not technically, you can see what's CG and what's not, but you'd be surprised when watching it... it takes a moment for you to notice there are CG characters and non-CG characters. They may look differently - but they don't clash, and so it takes an ever so brief conscious effort to become aware of the difference.

I'm currently listening to the song of the end credits on repeat (Venus - Beautiful Days).

It's a strange story. It's a mixture of drama, sci-fi and fantasy, though the last is most prominent. It's thouroughly magical - the world is infinitely complex: the movie is based on the comics of Enki Bilal, who's also made this movie, so there are many details that make you wonder where they are from, why there are there, and those questions are not answered - you are left having to accept them, and indulge in the fraction of the universe that the story talks about.

I recommend this movie - it's unusual.

It's reminiscent of The Fifth Element paired with Final Fantasy (CG-wise) - though as far as I know, TFE was heavily inspired by Enki Bilal anyway, so this is certainly no copying on sides of Bilal. The story itself is fairly gritty and down to earth - but I will leave the up to you to discover.

Horus.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 08-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #1536

Heat - in my opinion the back robbery scene has the best gunfight I've ever seen in a movie. The sound is so realistic, which Michael Mann seems to do a good job with in all his movies.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Heat - in my opinion the back robbery scene has the best gunfight I've ever seen in a movie.
True.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #1538
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Miami Vice

I would recommend it.
you high boy? this film is the worst thing i've ever seen, the quality of the film (my home camera is better than this one) the dodgy acting, the dodgy haircuts, the poor acting, the cheap plot, the cruddy acting....

it was sooo boring, if there wasn't a hot asian/oriental lady in this film i would've walked out. miami vice was simple and not exactly something you should recommend to adventurous people, this is not adventurous it's not risk taking it's not exciting it's cliched and stoooopiiidd

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #1539
DAVE

Hah another "digital film sucks" person. I have a friend like that, everyone else makes fun of her. For the type of scene in the night where that sort of film is used, digital works a lot better than film, and vice versa. Now as far as the plot and character development go, it wasn't great, but it wasn't as awful as most summer dreck of these last few years. In the end it was so/so, but with lots of style. As I expected.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #1540
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw The Descent 2 weeks ago, and The Night Listener this past week. Loved 'em both, but would've preferred to see The Descent's original ending, having read about it online since seeing the film. The Night Listener was amazing, had me on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out where it was going, plotwise. Wild, and disturbing that it's based on a true story.