You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #2541
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Requiem For A Dream - Excellent! I loved it... The music, characters, story, ...everything! But music especially.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 05-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #2542
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Free Money

Strongly reminded me, stylistically, of Jeunet's movies, or The Adams Family - a very quirky type of humour. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would recommend it for watching if you enjoyed any of the aforementioned. Beyond being a riot on the surface, it's, additionally, full of subtle jokes that add a wonderful bellyful of laughs to those watching attentively.

I'm usually very hard to convince of any comedy - but Free Money grew on me within instants of watching it.

Delightful nonsense.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 05-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #2543

Enemy of the State - a decent enough thriller.

Caddyshack - I keep hearing this is a classic, but the people who say this must have grown up watching this. It wasn't particularly funny or interesting. Not bad either, but not something I'll return to.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #2544
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Lots of gore and horror, lots of action and lots of spectacular shots of a deserted and damaged London.

I really enjoyed this film.
full agreement here, saw it this afternoon. From the first gut-wrenching (literally, lol) sequence to that bleak ending, I was hooked. I'm hoping they get around to 28 Months Later...
Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #2545
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Ghost World

Hmmm...What can you say about this movie. It had a great cast, and dialogue, interesting characters. The story itself is quite hard to understand, because a lot in the movie is symbolism. But it´s different, and a refreshing movie to see, like for example Napoleon Dynamite. I give it 8/10
Oh, I started watching that and was grating on me heavily for the first 30 minutes, so much so that I almost quit it, but then it blossomed into this wonderfully great film. I have to see it again, and I totally recommend it.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #2546

Underworld - I was expecting some cheap thrills, but holy cow was this movie dull. The premise was uninteresting from the start, and the movie didn't do anything but create a setup for unexciting battles.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #2547
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Underworld - I was expecting some cheap thrills, but holy cow was this movie dull. The premise was uninteresting from the start, and the movie didn't do anything but create a setup for unexciting battles.
Watch the sequel...it makes the first one seem muuuuuch better in comparison, lol.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 AM   #2548
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've been recently watching Aki Kaurismäki movies. My goal is to go through them in chronological order.

I've now reached Hamlet liikemaailmassa, which was excellent! P-P Petelius, one the greatest actors in the world!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #2549

The 13th Warrior - there was good stuff in this film, but I felt it could have been longer.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - I saw this so many times as a kid, and not just because of Nicolette Scorsese. Now, it doesn't really interest me except for nostalgia.

Hackers - despite the inaccurate portrayal of computer use, this was still an amusing movie.

Men in Black 2 - this had some of the goodness from the first movie, but with too much slapstick humor.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 AM   #2550
delusions of adequacy

Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #2551
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
full agreement here, saw it this afternoon. From the first gut-wrenching (literally, lol) sequence to that bleak ending, I was hooked. I'm hoping they get around to 28 Months Later...
I think they should pick up the pace instead.

28 Hours Later.
28 Minutes Later..
28 Seconds Later...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #2552
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
The 13th Warrior - there was good stuff in this film, but I felt it could have been longer.
It was longer. They cut a lot of stuff out of it, I think about an hour or so. There are places online where you can read about fans hoping for the extended cut to come out.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:53 AM   #2553
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

We saw Fracture this weekend....didn't know a thing about it...found it quite enjoyable. I like films that don't rely on car chases and explosions to create feelings of peril.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 AM   #2554
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Seen two movies recently:

1) The Da Vinci Code - Extended Cut

I do think that the extended cut is a tad better than the original cut but still... I expected more from Ron Howard!

PS: I just ordered the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Can't wait to read it!

2) Grave of the Fireflies

After reading the comments here about GotF I decided to check out the comments on IMDB. After reading some of the comments on IMDB I decided to buy the DVD without even having seen the film. I'm so glad I did!

I was really blown away by this anime film. GotF has got the be one of the best war movies I've seen in a long time!

I’ve watched the film with the original Japanese soundtrack with English subs. The English dub is pretty good but I found the voice of the characters more powerful in the original language. Especially the voice of Setsuko. The first five minutes of the film set the mood really well. Pretty powerful opening.

For those who don’t know what the film is about: It’s the story of two orphans, big brother Seita and his little sister Setsuko, trying to survive in war-ravaged Japan in WW II. They quickly have to learn to cope with life after their mother is killed during a fire-bombing raid on their village. With a dead mother and a possibly dead father (naval officer) Seita has a very demanding task of having to take care of his little sister.

This is a very emotional film but one part truly got to me. I was really trying to choke back the tears:
Spoiler:
It is a scene after Setsuko dies from famine. In the scene they show short clips of little Setsuko fooling around in front of their shelter. Those memories make you realize that Setsuko is really gone

Seita may not have made the right decisions when taking care of his sister, but who can blame him? His love and devotion for Setsuko really moved me.

This is a very powerful film! Not to be missed!

I usually don't agree with movie critic Roger Ebert (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/) but he's absolutely right! GotF is one of the most important and most emotionally stimulating war movies ever! Unfortunately, you can't find the review on his website but there is a pretty cool interview with him on the DVD.

Last edited by Bobske; 05-22-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #2555
Creepy Father Figure

I just got finished watching 1941 by Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg. I sure miss the times when people were able to laugh at themselves and others, and movies weren't run through politically correct editing.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #2556
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
2) Grave of the Fireflies

After reading the comments here about GotF I decided to check out the comments on IMDB. After reading some of the comments on IMDB I decided to buy the DVD without even having seen the film. I'm so glad I did!
I did the exact same thing. It's a great film and is probably now my favorite anime.

Oh man, I need to see that again. "Hollywooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!"
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2557
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Wasn't Apocalypse Now Redux widely considered to be inferior to the original release, too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I don't think so. From what I've read, after seeing bot hversions many people felt the first one was strangely incomplete, even though a lot of the reinserted scenes don't necessarily add to the "plot" so much as the general atmosphere. I've only seen the Redux though...and loved it.
I was looking for one of my old posts and came across this conversation, which needs a follow-up, because I have seen Redux since... and loved it. Amazing, visionary film that never, not once, dragged for me despite its additional hour of runtime. As you said, a lot of material could potentially be removed (and, well, was, for the original release) because of the episodic narrative structure, but I can't think of any part that deserves to. In fact, I'd like to see the last act even longer, if anything. After all that extended journey to Hell I was hoping to spend more time on learning about Colonel Kurtz in person.

But yeah, apart from comparatively abrupt ending, Apocalypse Now Redux is an incredible experience, and I am very sorry I was ever badmouthing it (even if I was speaking of what I mistakenly thought to be the critics' consensus rather than of my own opinion).
Old 05-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #2558
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Apocalypse Now and the Redux version are sitting on my shelf waiting to be watched for the first time at some point. Maybe this week...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #2559

Apacolypse Now is one of my favorite movies ever, and I think Redux is inferior. The added scenes didn't add anything, and they broke up the flow. The surfing scene got too comical, and Martin Sheen's character was happy for a time, which didn't fit him. The dinner with the French was too literal compared to the rest of the movie. I'm not sure what the scene with the Playboy girls was supposed to show.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #2560
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the scene with the Playboy girls was supposed to show.
The one in the helicopter? I'm with you, totally weird. In fact, it was about then that I was regretting having purchased Redux without seeing it first.