You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #2521
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Spidey 3

It was exactly what I expected, loved it. I cried in the end just like in Spidey 2, so they did something right. lol

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #2522
The Major Grubert.

Lucien21's sig:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vader in all of us. Thing is, this ain't no either-or proposition. We're talking about dialectics, the good and the bad merging into us. You can run but you can't hide. Stare it down. Own it. As brother Nietzsche said, being human is a complicated gig .
This sounds like Chris In The Morning (Northern Exposure). Or is it yours?

Either way, great quote.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #2523
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Lucien21's sig:

This sounds like Chris In The Morning (Northern Exposure). Or is it yours?

Either way, great quote.
Yup it's Chris from Northern Exposure.

Great show.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #2524
delusions of adequacy

Hot Fuzz.

For the first 10 minutes I was convinced it was going to be like a 2 hour skit show what with the quick transitions from one scene for a couple of site gags/quips and then on to the next. Then the story kicks in and its a classic poke at the english countryside town as depicted in those god awful yet rampant country-cop/vet/doctor shows that get made for the babyboomer and up age bracket. Watching those its a wonder any tourists ever brave a trip to the english countryside.

There's also plenty of CSI et al pisstake (I especially loved the montage sequences for booking and for detection) and loads of movie references. Something for everyone. Thankfully the grossout horror elements are well telegraphed so if you don't like seeing obscenely graphic violence you can look away (one in particular was a humor killer for me for about 7 seconds).
Old 05-08-2007, 03:45 AM   #2525
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Yup it's Chris from Northern Exposure.

Great show.
Wow, I used to watch that show religiously, up until Rob Morrow left. That pretty much killed it for me.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #2526
Kung Fu Code Poet

Quote:
violence you can look away (one in particular was a humor killer for me for about 7 seconds).
Heh, you referring to the church incident? I laughed my butt off at that one... great movie.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #2527
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Wow, I used to watch that show religiously, up until Rob Morrow left. That pretty much killed it for me.
Yeah, the asshat thought he could go out and have a "movie" career.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #2528
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Yeah, the asshat thought he could go out and have a "movie" career.

lol, it wasn't the fact that he wanted a movie career that I had a problem with...it was the bland, generic doctor-and-wife that replaced him. They weren't especially well-written as characters, so it was hard to really muster up any empathy towards them. But by that time, the show was on its last legs anyway, so I don't think any kind of rewrite would have saved the show.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #2529
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Just returned from seeing the new Anthony Hopkins film, Fracture. I liked it, except that the audio seemed very soft. Not sure if it was the movie itself, or if it was the theatre's speakers.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #2530
Kung Fu Code Poet

Could be your ears too.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 AM   #2531

The Others
The Illusionist
Kiss KIss Band Bang
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #2532
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTricks View Post
The Others
The Illusionist
Kiss KIss Band Bang
Man, I love The Others! I was actually pleasantly suprised

You could see the ending coming, but still...

If you liked The Others, you should check out The Skeleton Key!

Last edited by Bobske; 05-10-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:09 AM   #2533
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Ghost World

Hmmm...What can you say about this movie. It had a great cast, and dialogue, interesting characters. The story itself is quite hard to understand, because a lot in the movie is symbolism. But it´s different, and a refreshing movie to see, like for example Napoleon Dynamite. I give it 8/10
Old 05-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #2534
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Could be your ears too.
lol, no but that had occurred to me...until 4-5 others got up throughout the film to complain about the soft volume.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #2535
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
lol, it wasn't the fact that he wanted a movie career that I had a problem with...it was the bland, generic doctor-and-wife that replaced him. They weren't especially well-written as characters, so it was hard to really muster up any empathy towards them. But by that time, the show was on its last legs anyway, so I don't think any kind of rewrite would have saved the show.
But the new doctor wasn't the issue. The writing was top notch all the way up to the point where he announced he was leaving, and beyond (remember that he stuck around for the rest of the season as a less seen character, contractually, which is ironic). The writing continued to be good more or less without him.

And in my mind, the new doctor and wife didn't change that. They didn't replace Joel, but that show had a large host of strong characters.

Oh well.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #2536
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I just saw Dreamgirls, and I loved it!

The songs were great, and the actors portrayed their roles very good, even though I though it was too few nuances. It also doesn't give you much explanation about what's going on, but I actually thought it was a fresh breath from so many Hollywood movies that shove the plot down your throat every time they can.

The voices were very good, Beyonce gave a good performance, and respectable singing, and was even allowed to show what she could really do in one of her last songs.

A real surprise for me was "Effie", I haven't paid any attention to American Idol, so I'd never seen or heard about her before, but god that girl can sing! Her voice was one of the most amazing I've heard the past years, and it really hit home.

I had no problems with the mass of songs or the intertwined lyrics and lines, and just enjoyed it, with my heart in my throat, and trying to hold back the tears the whole way through.

I was in the mood for a musical drama when I started to see it, and that's probably one of the reasons for why I loved it so much. I think it's a movie you need to be in a special mood to enjoy, but when you do, you'll enjoy it immensely, even though the characters arn't that well developed, and the story might be a bit hard to follow some places (It always explains itself though).

9/10

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-12-2007, 04:44 AM   #2537
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Godfather Part II
My thoughts on this pretty much echo the ones I had on The Godfather. Again, I need to watch it in one sitting at some point, and again I wonder if it isn't longer than it needs to be.

And, with that, I move onwards towards The Godfather Part III.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #2538
Lazy Bee

I saw Chocolat yesterday.
I think it was a great feel good fairy tale. I love the way the colour red appeared around Vianne (Juliette Binoche) in the details of her clothes or in the interior of her shop, sort of symbolizing the warmth and acceptance her chocolate and she herself brought to the village.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #2539
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
The Godfather Part II
My thoughts on this pretty much echo the ones I had on The Godfather. Again, I need to watch it in one sitting at some point, and again I wonder if it isn't longer than it needs to be.

And, with that, I move onwards towards The Godfather Part III.
Ugh, Godfather III is pretty damn weak.

But I agree with your original point about needing to watch it in one sitting sometime. I completely hear you on that one. One need only ask my girlfriend how I react to stopping a movie and watching it at a later time from that stopping point. It is, quite literally, my biggest pet peeve. I can't stand it. It screws with the whole flow of the film...often there are subtle moments early on that lead into something later on, and splitting the movie into pieces ruins everything.

So yes, please, watch those films again and each in one sitting. I can assure you the films aren't too long. Three and a half decades of praise around the world sort of kills that theory. Besides, early in the age of DVDs but long before the GF trilogy was released on DVD, I got a VHS box set called The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980. It was edited by Coppola himself, and it takes the Godfather films and puts the story into chronological order, also adding deleted scenes. The set adds over an hour to Godfather 1 and 2, and it still wasn't too much. I probably prefer the original cuts, but there was some really good stuff in the 1901-1980 box.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #2540
Psychonaut

28 Weeks Later

Picking up where Danny Boyle left off. Britain is desered after the rage virus killed or transformed people into super fast zombies.

The zombies have now all starved to death and the US lead NATO force is taking the first steps to repopulate the UK.

Of course the sh*t hits the fan and the zombies are back.

Robert Carlye and his 2 kids are caught between the infected zombies and the US troops hellbent on containing and exterminating the virus. (Which is worse?)

Lots of gore and horror, lots of action and lots of spectacular shots of a deserted and damaged London.

I really enjoyed this film.