View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2557
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Wasn't Apocalypse Now Redux widely considered to be inferior to the original release, too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I don't think so. From what I've read, after seeing bot hversions many people felt the first one was strangely incomplete, even though a lot of the reinserted scenes don't necessarily add to the "plot" so much as the general atmosphere. I've only seen the Redux though...and loved it.
I was looking for one of my old posts and came across this conversation, which needs a follow-up, because I have seen Redux since... and loved it. Amazing, visionary film that never, not once, dragged for me despite its additional hour of runtime. As you said, a lot of material could potentially be removed (and, well, was, for the original release) because of the episodic narrative structure, but I can't think of any part that deserves to. In fact, I'd like to see the last act even longer, if anything. After all that extended journey to Hell I was hoping to spend more time on learning about Colonel Kurtz in person.

But yeah, apart from comparatively abrupt ending, Apocalypse Now Redux is an incredible experience, and I am very sorry I was ever badmouthing it (even if I was speaking of what I mistakenly thought to be the critics' consensus rather than of my own opinion).