Recent movies seen - Page 129 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #2561
Retired Buccaneer

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Not quite up to the standard of the first movie (that would be a hard thing indeed to do) but IMHO better than the second. Liked that the ending wasn't completely happy, a strange thing indeed for a Disney flick.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #2562
The Major Grubert.

I'm be looking forward to ye 3rd installment of Pirates, aye!

Pan's Labyrinth

Wow did this ever come together well. The story, acting, effects, editing... bravo!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #2563
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
The dinner with the French was too literal compared to the rest of the movie.
I disagree. "Literal" in what sense?
Spoiler:
Perhaps if you only concentrate on what is being said, it could seem heavy-handed compared to the rest of the movie. But surely the setting and the situation are surreal enough? A bourgeois house in the middle of nowhere, with the family dining and having their self-righteous, purely intellectual disputes almost (ie. unless their border is crossed) oblivious to the real horror happening all around them...
I thought this was a terrific sequence, fitting the main theme of the film (oversimplifying: war leads to madness), and its atmosphere, very well.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #2564
Psychonaut

Zodiac

David Finchers latest movie is a Docu-drama about the lives of 3 men, from 1968 to the early 90's, who were obsessed with identifying the "Zodiac" killer or living in fear (Robert Downey Jnr). It most follows Jake Gyllenthal's character who was a cartoonist at the SF Chronicle and eventually cracked the last cypher and wrote 2 books speculating on who the killer was.

The "Zodiac" was never caught and claimed to have killed 37 people from 1968 - 1974 (Although the police think it was only 5 fatalities) he rose to fame due to his letters to the local paper and the cypher he included in the letters. He was also the inspriation behind the "Dirty Harry" film which is featured in the movie at one point.

It's a slow paced movie that is more or less a forensic examination of the evidence and suspects in the Zodiac case as seen from the perspective of the Jake Gyllenthaal character. However I was griped from start to finish.

There are some spectacular scenes in the movie especially the basement scene with one of the suspects. Some nice visual shots, like the overhead shot of the goldengate bridge in fog, overhead shot following a taxi through the streets or the time lapse construction of the Transamerica Pyramid when it jumps forward in time. It also does an excellent job with the 70's atmosphere.

Some great performances from everyone in the movie.

Overall a superb film.

and remember ...if you live in N California......He as never caught
Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #2565
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Last night I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World End and it was amazing, Johnny Depp ( ) has just as much screentime like in the last one, which is great because every scene of his will have you laughing out loud! Seriously this movie is so great, and the ending!! arg, its got so many twists, I was expecting a fairytale ending that are typical, but boy was I wrong. Also they also set up the story for the next movie Pirates 4, they claim to not make another one anytime soon, so expect pirates 4 in 2-3 years max. I loved it so much I think Im going to go watch it again, then buy it on dvd and watch it again lol Its really that good.

Seriously, I thought the ending was going to be so typical and generic, I thought that in my head throughout the end bits, but was I wrong. And I can honestly say I enjoyed this one more than 1 & 2.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #2566
The Major Grubert.

There's a lot of negative reviews of At World's End out there, but every one I read has flaws. I'm not a fan boy--I want to know if it's not worth the trouble--but all of the complaints I've read so far are shallow and with many logical errors.

"Depp doesn't show up for a half-hour and that kills it": well, duh--didn't you see the last film? He was stuck in Davey Jones locker! And it's almost 3 hours long, so what's 30 minutes?

"The last film was fun, but does anyone know what was going one during the last hour of the film?". Well, no wonder you didn't understand the first 1/2 hours of this film, you fucking moron!

I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm lending no credence to the clowns calling themselves critics. I'll decide for myself.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #2567
The Major Grubert.

Underworld. 2nd time. It's somewhat intersting, without too many flaws, better on 2nd viewing.

I'll watch Underworld: Evolution (as recommended here) tonight to see if the series is worth continuing.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #2568
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

I have watched Notebook [2004]. It is so beautiful (it has some love cliches but ok) and heartbreaking that I have cried like a little baby. Yes, I have cried for many movies, but this...omg.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 05-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #2569
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End last night with a couple of friends.

Man it was long, but I didn't mind as Johnny Depp was rocking the hell out of his character. I'm telling you, he is The Best actor in the world, always has been, always will.

The movie itself was a pretty much fun ride, though at the last quarter of the movie, I got bored with the huge CGI scenes that took over way too much of the action. Enough is a enough like Samuel L. Jackson would say.

Spoiler:
I didn't find the movie to have a sad ending, though Will Turner died, he did live damnit! He became an immortal and could still be with Elizabeth Swann so it was a Disney ending after all. I don't mind about that, maybe this kind of movie series needed that kind of a love story ending.

All in all, it was a great summer movie, but to me it was weaker than the first which was a pure fun pirate adventure movie, and weaker than the second which was like watching a Monkey Island movie.

The third one went to a way more supernatural route. I think what made the movie a lot easier for the people watching it was the continuous slapstick humor, there was something funny stuff happening all the time! That was great that Gore Verbinski made the movie very funny in general and not a serious doom and gloom movie that it could've turned out to with all the dying and war going on.

I didn't see the extra scene, because we were "pushed out" of the movie theater during the credits so I hope nobody spoils that for me, I'm going to watch that on dvd later.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #2570

X-Men trilogy - I liked these movies. Each one was kind of different from the others, and they had an interesting take on things. I think the trilogy could have been better had they not treated the movies like episodes of sitcoms, where a different setup was introduced each time.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #2571
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

The Bourne Identity
Okay action movie that tries to keep you in the dark the whole way through, while still telling an engaging story. They actually managed it better that I'd thought, but I think they should have reviled more small doses of information the whole way.

Adaptation.
This was a really interesting movie, that makes you ask many questions when, and after you see it. Missed the first 45 minutes of it, so I might have missed something important.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #2572
The Major Grubert.

Underworld, followed by Underworld Evolution.

I disagree that the sequel was better. I liked the first one okay, not great, but not bad in concept. The sequel just did not follow. Perhaps it's suffering from the "middle of three" syndrome and the third installment will (as usual) wrap it all up.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 PM   #2573
Kung Fu Code Poet

Pie Rats of the Curry Bean: A twirled's end.

Ok, better than the second, not quite the first.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #2574
Psychonaut

Pirates 3 - At Worlds end

JACKS BACK.

But where is the plot. It all over the place he says. More twists and turns than a pretzal he says. More double, triple and quadruple crosses than a whole decade of 24 episodes.

However, I don't really care as it was rip roaring fun from start to finish (some 6 hours later I think)

Exellent CGI although by the end I was a all CG'd out. Some of it worked superbly (Multi-jack, Davey Jones, Maelstrom) some of it didn't (Mini-Jacks).

So overall it was good fun. Johnny Depp excellent as usual, Keith Richards looked the part didn't do much, Kiera looked nice (Hubba Hubba) and the monkey steals the show now and again.

So Fun, nice CGI, hideously overcomplicated plot for the kiddies and americans in the audience, but decent summer blockbuster.

Waaaaaaay better than the 2nd one, but not as fresh and tightly plotted as the first one.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #2575
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
So Fun, nice CGI, hideously overcomplicated plot for the kiddies and americans
You think that's funny, don't you?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #2576
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The Monkey in the cannon thing reminded so much about Guybrush in Monkey Island 1.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #2577
gin soaked boy

Robin's Big Date

Sam Rockwell is (still) God.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #2578

Sneakers - a nice espionage movie.

The Princess Bride - I quite liked this. I could've done without Fred Savage and Peter Faulk, though.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - I'd say this is about equal with the second movie, both of which are below the first. It was fun to watch, but it doesn't have the charm of the original and it's a bit too busy.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #2579
gin soaked boy

Hard Core Logo

A great mockumentary about a punk rock band reunion tour.

What's up with those Canadian movies anyway? How do they manage to be so brilliant? Don McKellar, Callum Keith Rennie, Bruce McDonald... I just love those people.

-I killed a fucking goat.
-Pipe, we all drank its blood.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #2580
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Jet Li's Fearless. Good stuff. I thought the movie was pretty tight all the way through, although the inaccuracies in the plot tended to discredit any believability in the whole story. The good directing and acting make you buy it, though.