Recent movies seen - Page 126 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #2501
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Last I saw was Watership Down.
I fucking love Watership Down! If you haven't already, you need to check out Martin Rosen's one other movie, Plague Dogs.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #2502
OUATIJ Creator

Spider-Man 3. I thought it was fun and entertaining, like the others. I don't understand why the reviews have been lower for this one... It's almost like critics thought the other two had some kind of depth and meaning to them, whereas this one is just entertainment and not worthy of compliments. Frankly, I thought Spider-Man was ALWAYS just fun. No more, no less. So I thought Spider-Man 3 was right up there with others and in some ways, more fun.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #2503
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Pitch Black - 9/10

Good stuff. The visual effects were excellent, the story engrossing, and the characters believable.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #2504
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw Spider-Man 3 yesterday, and really enjoyed it. The only real problem I had with the film was that I felt that 3 villains seemed like too much for one film. I think they should've devoted an entire film to Venom, and a separate film to cover both Sandman and Green Goblin II. Also, I was impressed with Thomas Haden Church( and really, ALL the villains)...the villains in this one seemed very tragic/sympathetic. I really do hope they make a fourth one!!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #2505
Lazy Bee

Monster
I've had this DVD for quite some time but I've been hesitating to watch it since I knew it would be a tragic story and that it would stir up emotions. (I haven't been in the mood for those kind of movies for years.)

As much as I felt sympathy and pitied her for her ruined childhood which led to a self destructing lifestyle I also found her (and Selby) at times beeing so naive and totally without mercy it was hard to watch it to the end.

Charlize Theron was magnificent!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #2506
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Godfather
I think I need to watch this one again some time. I don't think I did it justice by watching it in three sittings over a week (though I still think that it may have been too long).

Snakes on a Plane
Utter rubbish... I loved it! It really needs to be watched with friends, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #2507

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
The Godfather
I think I need to watch this one again some time. I don't think I did it justice by watching it in three sittings over a week (though I still think that it may have been too long).
I just looked at how long it is, and I didn't realized it was 175 minutes long. It goes by quickly for me, since the movie draws me in whenever I watch it.

Hot Fuzz - the trailer made it seem like an alright comedy, but it's better than that. I may have to see Shawn of the Dead now, even though I hate zombies.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #2508
DAVE

Ah the zombies in Shaun are just like any other zombies, it's the context that makes the movie funny.

Just imagine Queen's "Friends will be Friends" playing in a bar surrounded by thousands of zombies.

Yeah.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #2509
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Ong-Bak, its a phenomenal Thai martial arts movie starring the amazing Tony Jaa - he really could be the *new Bruce Lee*
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #2510
Psychonaut

Spiderman 3

Unfortunatly not as good a film as the previous 2.

Tried to cram far too much into it with Gwen Stacy, Black suit and 3 villians. Meant the plot was a tad all over the place.

SFX were superb and you can certainly see where the money has been spent. There were some excellent set pieces (The first Goblin attack, The first time you see Sandman and The finale) Howver teh film sagged drastically in the middle with all the action being in the beginning and end of the film and sadly missing from the middle to be replaced by a weird Saturdy Night Fever skit.

JJ Jamieson was superb as usual, as was Bruce Campbell as a French Waiter, the rest of the cast was so-so or underused in the glut.

Reasonable but not spectacular movie.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #2511

Grandma's Boy - it was an alright comedy. No high points to it, but no low points either.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #2512
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey;409593[I
Snakes on a Plane[/I]
Utter rubbish... I loved it! It really needs to be watched with friends, though.
Absolutely! Not worth a repeat, but certainly worth a single rental.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #2513
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

This weekend I went to Antwerp to see Spiderman 3!

I was as disappointed with Spiderman 3 as I was with X-Men 3!

After seeing the trailer for the first time I was expecting something like Batman Begins. Unfortunately, this movie never came near BB.

I agree with the comments mentioned in the posts above. Too much focus on special effects (which I don't always think is a bad idea ), lousy story telling and no real suspense. I get the feeling that the writers didn't really care about the origin of Venom and just wanted to show off 3 main villians.

Same thing happened with the X-Men series! No respect for the origin of the characters!

I have to say, I was expecting a lot from Spiderman 3, but unfortunately it didn't deliver. I read that this movie was going to be darker and more disturbing. Sure...

Ok, I did enjoy the movie, somewhat. It was pretty good fun, it had amazing special effects but no suspense.

7/10

So, this was the first blockbuster of the year! Not bad, but not great either. Looking forward to the following films:

Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Shrek 3
Ocean's 13
Transformers
Bourne Ultimatum
Rush Hour 3
28 Weeks Later
The Fountain
Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #2514
Kung Fu Code Poet

Eeek hell no.. don't compare Spiderman 3 to X-Men 3... X3 must have been the most awful superhero movie sequel next to Batman & Robin and Superman IV.

Saw Spider hyphen Man 3 on Friday, and while I did enjoy the second film more, 3 was not a bad film at all. Hardly dark though, with plenty of comedy moments and teen-ish angst in it. The villains were downplayed a bit though, and I'd have liked them to have more of a motive to be villainous than "we hate Spider-man". Sandman turned out to be far less cheesy than I thought he'd end up being, and he was a more interesting character than Eddie Brock/Venom turned out to be.

I have some gripes with some of the pseudo-science in the film though... ie, the dude falls into a "demolecularisation machine", with a bunch of rather careless scientists conducting some experiment... you don't know what they are doing, why they are there, and then you never see them again.

People complain ther film was too long... I say screw 'em all with teir limited attention spans... give me a longer film with a more fleshed out story. - Not filler, mind you.

Either way ... it was a decent, enjoyable film. Gets a thumbs up from me.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 AM   #2515
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It's unbelievable how much money Spidey 3 has already made in the boxoffice. I mean come on... almost 400 MILLION DOLLARS?!?

The world is certainly crazy.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:46 AM   #2516
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Eeek hell no.. don't compare Spiderman 3 to X-Men 3... X3 must have been the most awful superhero movie sequel next to Batman & Robin and Superman IV.
Ok, I take it back! I agree, X3 was much worse than Spidey 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
People complain ther film was too long... I say screw 'em all with teir limited attention spans... give me a longer film with a more fleshed out story. - Not filler, mind you.
Again, I agree with you! People also complained that Batman Begins and Dead Man's Chest were too long!

I believe that the "normal" movie runtime should be around 2 hours. If you need to cram a whole lot of story in 2 hours, make the movie 2,5 hours (or longer)! If people can't hold their attention for more than 2 hours than they should watch the movie on DVD in two sessions.

Movies like Pieces of April (around 80 mins) that are shorter also don't bother me. If the story is finished and the movie doesn't feel rushed, I'm ok with it!

But please, don't skip story moments because the studio wants the movie to be shorter so they can show it more times a day...

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire suffers from "a-hell!-cut-it-out-we-don't-need-to-show-the-world-cup-just-show-the-beginning-and-cut-to-the-end" euh thingy. I can't believe how much was cut from the original story. Please make it two films! Everybody is going to see it anyway!

Hmmm, done ranting...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #2517
Elegantly copy+pasted

Movies should be shorter because in 90% of cases the story doesn't warrant the length. POTC2 being the case in point: if they had cut about an hour out of that film, it would possibly have been close to watchable.

Spidey 3 was OK, I thought. Probably not on par with the first two (which weren't exactly perfect themselves), but still good fun for the duration. The main problem, like everyone seems to agree, was that they just tried to do too much. Too many plot threads, so that none of them get told properly, and too many villains, so that none of them ever get around to being threatening.

The story is a compromise between Sam Raimi (who wanted to do Sandman) and Avi Arad (who insisted on having Venom), and it shows. The Sandman story is so truncated it barely makes sense, while Venom is handled like an afterthought. Their team-up was the epitome of comic-book cheese, which turned out to be the movie's saving grace.

Obviously, it should have been two movies, one with the Sandman and Green Goblin Jr. (and possibly introducing Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy), and one with Venom and whatever other Spider-Man villain hasn't been used yet. That way they could have had more time for JJJ, who is the real reason anyone watches these movies.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #2518
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Saw Spider-Man 3 yesterday, and really enjoyed it. The only real problem I had with the film was that I felt that 3 villains seemed like too much for one film. I think they should've devoted an entire film to Venom, and a separate film to cover both Sandman and Green Goblin II. Also, I was impressed with Thomas Haden Church( and really, ALL the villains)...the villains in this one seemed very tragic/sympathetic. I really do hope they make a fourth one!!
That was also my main complaint. Venom was barely touched on, although he's one of the most favorite villains of a lot of Spidy fans. They should have dedicated a whole movie to Venom.

Firefox rules
Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #2519
capsized.

What happened to great villains anyway? Haven't seen "Spiderman3" yet, and I don't really feel the urge to, even though
Spoiler:
I've had a really HORRIBLE crush on K. Dunst in ca. 2002...
, and Bruce Campbell's cameo appearance is bound to be the cinematic highlight of the year.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #2520
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
The story is a compromise between Sam Raimi (who wanted to do Sandman) and Avi Arad (who insisted on having Venom), and it shows. The Sandman story is so truncated it barely makes sense, while Venom is handled like an afterthought. Their team-up was the epitome of comic-book cheese, which turned out to be the movie's saving grace.

Obviously, it should have been two movies, one with the Sandman and Green Goblin Jr. (and possibly introducing Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy), and one with Venom and whatever other Spider-Man villain hasn't been used yet. That way they could have had more time for JJJ, who is the real reason anyone watches these movies.

It's fairly well documeted that Sam Raimi doesn't like the Venom character and never wanted to pu him in any of the films.

As for future villians, They have certainly cameoed Doc Conners aka "The Lizard" in the last 2 movies so I see him as the next logical bad guy.

Although there is a rumour going about of Morlan being the next villain with probaby a whol new cast and director.