View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 AM   #2554
Bobske
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Seen two movies recently:

1) The Da Vinci Code - Extended Cut

I do think that the extended cut is a tad better than the original cut but still... I expected more from Ron Howard!

PS: I just ordered the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail. Can't wait to read it!

2) Grave of the Fireflies

After reading the comments here about GotF I decided to check out the comments on IMDB. After reading some of the comments on IMDB I decided to buy the DVD without even having seen the film. I'm so glad I did!

I was really blown away by this anime film. GotF has got the be one of the best war movies I've seen in a long time!

I’ve watched the film with the original Japanese soundtrack with English subs. The English dub is pretty good but I found the voice of the characters more powerful in the original language. Especially the voice of Setsuko. The first five minutes of the film set the mood really well. Pretty powerful opening.

For those who don’t know what the film is about: It’s the story of two orphans, big brother Seita and his little sister Setsuko, trying to survive in war-ravaged Japan in WW II. They quickly have to learn to cope with life after their mother is killed during a fire-bombing raid on their village. With a dead mother and a possibly dead father (naval officer) Seita has a very demanding task of having to take care of his little sister.

This is a very emotional film but one part truly got to me. I was really trying to choke back the tears:
Spoiler:
It is a scene after Setsuko dies from famine. In the scene they show short clips of little Setsuko fooling around in front of their shelter. Those memories make you realize that Setsuko is really gone

Seita may not have made the right decisions when taking care of his sister, but who can blame him? His love and devotion for Setsuko really moved me.

This is a very powerful film! Not to be missed!

I usually don't agree with movie critic Roger Ebert (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/) but he's absolutely right! GotF is one of the most important and most emotionally stimulating war movies ever! Unfortunately, you can't find the review on his website but there is a pretty cool interview with him on the DVD.

Last edited by Bobske; 05-22-2007 at 11:23 PM.