You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The erm........masturbation thread...

View Poll Results: When did you start to masturbate????
0-10 yrs 17 17.17%
10-15 yrs 66 66.67%
15-20 yrs 10 10.10%
I DON'T DO IT - ITS DISGUSTING! 6 6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #121
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Feel free to call me a stuck-up, overly-conservative, socially-retarded idiot instead.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #122
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I'm curious as to why "masturbation celibacy" is that crazy, or at the very least, why it's considered more crazy than abstinence from sexual activities with other people. No, I am not one of them bracelet wearers. But surely making fun of their rules, irrational as they may be, is actually against the notion that "why it is anyone elses business if someone wanks, its their own choice. Same with sex." No?
By wearing the bracelets, they're advertising the fact that they've elected not to indulge in "self-satisfaction". When they do that, they make it everyone else's business. To me, it comes off as an "I'm better than you are because I don't wank" sort of thing.
While there are certainly those who will take the "bracelet pledge" (for lack of a better term) utterly seriously, I have no doubt that there are also those who will feel pressured to take the pledge by their family or social group when they don't personally agree with it, and these same folks will most likely break the pledge yet continue to wear the bracelet.
I agree that "wanking" is, for the most part, THE most private of acts. But to publicly proclaim that one doesn't do it and to demonize those who refuse to take the "bracelet pledge" reminds me rather forcefully of "The Scarlet Letter".
Perhaps my reaction to this stems from a life spent living on the buckle of the "Bible Belt" in the US. I can not tell you the number of times I've seen ministers and officials of various churches decry from the pulpit the very same sins in which they gleefully indulged less than 24 hours prior.
I feel that everyone is entitled to follow their own beliefs, but I don't have much patience with people who publicly preach belief systems that they themselves don't follow in private.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #123
Chris Barraclough

I agree. Now I'm off for a quick tug.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #124
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I think the Sage-Man said it all pretty well for me...

It's not the idea of someone choosing to refrain from masturbating that bothers me. A person can choose to do with their body what they wish; I'm not going to say anything. (Though admittedly I've never understood the predilection of some religions for self-denial that doesn't give any practical benefit, but that's another topic.)

Rather, it is indeed the self-righteous, holier-than-thou attitude that the bracelet aspect gives off that bothers me... the implication that someone is lesser than you because they don't follow your beliefs.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #125
Dungeon Master

I find it a peculiar point of view. Unless said bracelets have something along the lines of "I'm not a filthy wanker like you!" in bright red letters written on them, I absolutely don't understand how you people can equate publically manifesting one's beliefs with condemning those who don't share them. Couldn't I attribute the same holier-than-thou-ness to just about any group of people, ranging from those who carry visible religious symbols (crucifix, turban,...) to precious jewellery weares ("I'm richer than you!") to scantily dressed attractive girls ("I have better body than you!")?

And hypocrisy has nothing to do with it. Hypocrisy can happen anywhere. Even if a thousand famous pacifists turned out to be serial murderers today, I wouldn't call pacifism in general a movement for "whackjobs" or even anything close.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:02 AM   #126
Lazy Bee

I saw an interesting documentary (a series) about a number of British men with different backgrounds who got the opportunity to spend time in a British monastery, living with the monks. They all had issues to deal with and the reason for living in the monastery was to see if they were helped by the religion and the discussions they had with their mentors.
One interesting discussion was about masturbation. The monk who got the question about how he dealt with his sexual needs was very humble. He admitted it was hard at times but said that the ideal situation was to 'let his soldier stand alone'
There were many other topics as well and I was amazed how humble and non-condemning these monks were.

And as a mom to teenage children, if their doors are closed I always knock and wait a while before going inside. The best is if I get a come in-answer.
It would be just as awkward to me if I was to interrupt something.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #127
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
And as a mom to teenage children, if their doors are closed I always knock and wait a while before going inside. The best is if I get a come in-answer.
It would be just as awkward to me if I was to interrupt something.
Thats very respectful of you.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #128
Lovable rogue

This reminds me of a wonderful story I heard on some sex-related programme that was on Sky One two or three years ago.

A young man recalled how one afternoon he was lying naked on his bed, eyes closed, listening to music on his headphones, and busily attending to pleasuring himself.

Upon completition he opened his eyes and prepared to clean up his mess, when suddenly he noticed sitting there on his bedside table, was a steaming cup of tea where previously there had been none.

He realised that his mother must have brought the drink up to him, seen that he was otherwise occupied, and then left it on the table before departing again.

Talk about embarrassing! haha.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #129
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
Talk about embarrassing! haha.
I wonder what he and his mom said to each other later on? Most likely they behaved like nothing at all had occured. Any comment what so ever would have been really .
Mom: Eh...was it good? or I left the tea on your bedside since you were busy... or
Young man: Thanks for the tea. I didn't hear you coming in.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #130
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Everyone needs their private space - Mom should have knocked before entering!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #131
Bad Influence

Quote:
I find it a peculiar point of view. Unless said bracelets have something along the lines of "I'm not a filthy wanker like you!" in bright red letters written on them, I absolutely don't understand how you people can equate publically manifesting one's beliefs with condemning those who don't share them.
The bulk of the post that sparked this debate, with problematic text removed and pertinant text in bold:
Quote:
Apparently somewhere in deepest America there is a certain group that take abstinence one step further, and wear a bracelet as a sign of their commitment not to masturbate.

If they break their vow they must remove their bracelet and then suffer the "shame" when their friends notice.
That sounds like condemning to me, although self-inflicted by any bracelet wearer who removes their bracelet.

Quote:
Couldn't I attribute the same holier-than-thou-ness to just about any group of people, ranging from those who carry visible religious symbols (crucifix, turban,...) to precious jewelry wearers ("I'm richer than you!") to scantily dressed attractive girls ("I have better body than you!")?
It could, but there's a fine line between positive behavior relating to yourself and negative behavior directed at others.

Quote:
And hypocrisy has nothing to do with it. Hypocrisy can happen anywhere. Even if a thousand famous pacifists turned out to be serial murderers today, I wouldn't call pacifism in general a movement for "whackjobs" or even anything close.
Nor would I. The term "whack-job" was badly-chosen and insensitive.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #132
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Everyone needs their private space - Mom should have knocked before entering!
She probably did, but if he was wearing headphones I doubt he would've heard it. But then, if you're gonna play the five knuckle shuffle while listening to music with your eyes closed in your parents house, you've probably wanked yourself stupid and deserve everything you get

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 06-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #133
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
That sounds like condemning to me, although self-inflicted by any bracelet wearer who removes their bracelet.
Ah, but they're not condemning those who don't wear the bracelets to start off with. And yes, they are condeming masturbation as being against their beliefs, but they're not directly attacking you for not sharing those views.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #134
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
She probably did, but if he was wearing headphones I doubt he would've heard it. But then, if you're gonna play the five knuckle shuffle while listening to music with your eyes closed in your parents house, you've probably wanked yourself stupid and deserve everything you get
So true. Theres a degree of care people should take when spanking the monkey. Make sure your door is locked or your alone in the house, and yeah, listening to music while wanking? Never heard that one before.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #135
Lovable rogue

Quote:
The bulk of the post that sparked this debate, with problematic text removed
I don't apreciate being censored.
Quote:
The term "whack-job" was badly-chosen and insensitive.
I see it more as deliberate and apt.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #136
Bad Influence

Quote:
I don't appreciate being censored.
I was trying to separate the two issues of masturbation and religion. This is the "Masturbation" thread, after all.

Quote:
I see it more as deliberate and apt.
And possibly inflammatory?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #137
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
And possibly inflammatory?
Only if you have a medical problem, surely?

I can't believe I made a joke in this thread ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #138
Chris Barraclough

Hehe, good one Robsie. You're slowly becoming one of us.

One of us! One of us!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #139
Bad Influence

Robert's cracking wise in a sex-related thread (and it was a good one!), Seebs is quoting Todd Browning...has the world gone mad?

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #140
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

What I hate the most about this thread is that I get an e-mail notification every time anyone posts in it.