You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 01:15 AM   #161
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Touché.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #162
capsized.

Yeah no luck, I can't get access to the drive. It still makes its normal noise, so I'm assuming it's still getting power, oh whatever, I don't know what the hell happened. I guess downloading Knoppix would be kinda pointless then as well... Maybe I should post something in Bysmitty's thread.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #163
merely human

Today I received another one of my regular performance evaluations at the museum. They wrote me up for being late four times in the past two months (being written up is not good as it means your performance score goes down). My accuracy was much better this time (I was off just once, and by a small amount). But where I truly excelled is customer service - they told me I have become a role model for the others and that I raised the bar by going above and beyond what museum visitors expect in terms being a good representative for the institution.

Now I'll put it in perspective. I absolutely detest the fact that we're graded - like little schoolchildren - for our performance, especially in a system where the tiniest little flaws are decidely magnified and fixated on. I was late, yes, but it was only by one, two minutes. A couple of times my train was unexpectedly delayed, and I left at the usual time (not late), so it was beyond my control, these things happen. If I were the director of this department I would relax it and allow, say, a ten minute window before I consider it tardy. This is all the more reason I want to get the hell out of working at this museum. For the mere pittance they pay me (i'm worth FAR more than that, given my experience in working at some of the world's finest museums), it's all the more insulting to be treated like a 5th grader.

What I don't understand is how they could fixate on such otherwise trivial and negligable things when there are a crapload of other - far, far more pressing - things to worry about. For example, why have they not replaced the horribly obsolete accounting software we use for ticket sales, stats, and group bookings? Why do they not update the website weekly instead of monthly or longer? Why haven't they streamlined the policy process to better service visitors and make operations more efficient?

Still, at least it's a stable job til I can find something much better - a job that deserves me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-08-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 PM   #164
merely human

Text message today from Mr. Redhead:

"Answer me this... How is it possible that i am sooo CRAZY about someone that I hardly know? You inspire me 2 be a better version of myself!"

Thinking about him took me back to our meeting a few weeks ago at the aquarium in Long Beach. He dwarfed me with his 6'2" stature and hunky frame (I seem to attract men much taller than I). And I craned my neck to see his face smiling down at me and I saw, in better detail, how exquisite he was - chiseled face, fine freckles, violently red hair like perpetually glowing embers and, when he took his sunglasses off, clear blue eyes like topaz.

We saw the otters being fed, and I commented that I'd love to hug them. I could never keep fish, I continued, because as much as I would love to have seahorses and little sharks and jellies, I can't hug them either. But in my mind I was saying, You, though, are magnificent, and I know I can hug you.

I was grateful for having to see the various exhibits because it meant I could distract myself from him, from having to look at how stunning he was. He intimidated me, made me shyer than I already am. And when we sat down and had lunch and talked more and found out more about each other, he told me how inspiring I was to him, that I radiate a positive energy. And I replied that that was ironic, because with the story he told me about himself - how he turned his life around when it was on the edge and didn't seem to be worth much - he was very inspiring, admirable, to me. He was my confirmation that feeling strong and grounded was very possible for me, for anyone.

And then he looked at me, into me, with those topaz eyes and I could not look back and ran back into myself and tripped in the process.

I couldn't look at him. I couldn't. I would've cried.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #165
Creepy Father Figure

Wow Trep! Glad hes not straight, he would be stealing all our women!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 AM   #166
It's Hard To Be Humble

That's lovely, Trep. Thank you for sharing that.

In other news, Squinky is back. *very big grin*

I'll be back tomorrow. Hope you had a nice, relaxing weekend, folks.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:05 AM   #167
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

Text message today from Mr. Redhead:

"Answer me this... How is it possible that i am sooo CRAZY about someone that I hardly know? You inspire me 2 be a better version of myself!"

Thinking about him took me back to our meeting a few weeks ago at the aquarium in Long Beach. He dwarfed me with his 6'2" stature and hunky frame (I seem to attract men much taller than I). And I craned my neck to see his face smiling down at me and I saw, in better detail, how exquisite he was - chiseled face, fine freckles, violently red hair like perpetually glowing embers and, when he took his sunglasses off, clear blue eyes like topaz.

We saw the otters being fed, and I commented that I'd love to hug them. I could never keep fish, I continued, because as much as I would love to have seahorses and little sharks and jellies, I can't hug them either. But in my mind I was saying, You, though, are magnificent, and I know I can hug you.

I was grateful for having to see the various exhibits because it meant I could distract myself from him, from having to look at how stunning he was. He intimidated me, made me shyer than I already am. And when we sat down and had lunch and talked more and found out more about each other, he told me how inspiring I was to him, that I radiate a positive energy. And I replied that that was ironic, because with the story he told me about himself - how he turned his life around when it was on the edge and didn't seem to be worth much - he was very inspiring, admirable, to me. He was my confirmation that feeling strong and grounded was very possible for me, for anyone.

And then he looked at me, into me, with those topaz eyes and I could not look back and ran back into myself and tripped in the process.

I couldn't look at him. I couldn't. I would've cried.
very nice

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 AM   #168
Lovable rogue

Vaguely interesting event of the day: I saw a guy who looked like Tyson Beckford, although I'm not really sure why I even know who Tyson Beckford is...

I saw lots of squirrels today, and they were really cute, even though they were grey squirrels and I know I should really stomp on them.

I too got a text message today, from my unwelcome suitor:

"...i was thinking quite a lot and i'd like it if you were to join me to a "Dinner thing" "

I haven't replied yet, as I'm not sure what to say. I don't want to go - it sounds suspiciously like a date, and if you'll recall the Pizza Hut incident - but I want to be tactful about it. I haven't seen him since last Saturday, and this will be my third subsequent rejection.
I'm sure I'll think of the right response in due course.

Nice to see Trepsie is having a little more luck in that department.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #169
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

That Mr. Redhead dude sounds like quite the studmuffin, and Trep sure looks to be a lucky guy. That being said, if anyone ever sent me a love letter in text message speak, I'd probably kill them or something. Lee, are you taking notes?

In other news, I'm tired. I think I need more coffee.

Toodles,
Squinky
Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #170
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
That being said, if anyone ever sent me a love letter in text message speak, I'd probably kill them or something. Lee, are you taking notes?
I would probably post something in netspeak for a chuckle, but I am woefully incapable of doing so, owing to how much of my cognicent brain is taken up with the ability to speak the Queen's English correctly. I may muff spellings when I'm typing too fast on IM late at night with pretty ladies, but I am sufficiently versed in the English language, and thus have not yet found a rational reason to master leetspeak, pig latin or Esperanto. I'm not even particularly good at French, though I studied it for a few years.

And besides, it's so much more effective to compliemnt and woo a woman of distinction in full sentences and flowing prose that can be read aloud to girlfriends and grandchildren when they make your life story into a biography for theatrical release.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I don't have a cellphone, so no text messaging anyway.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #171
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

I love a good compliemnt. That is all I have to say.

Wuv,
Squinky
Old 10-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #172
It's Hard To Be Humble

LOL! That's quite a compliemnt indeed.

*wuvs Squinky*
Old 10-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #173
merely human

Well, Blogsie, looks like I have a coffee date this evening with a new respondent. He's a tall, goodlooking, muscular fellow with laughing eyes and a playful look. He refers to himself as 'Big Ben' < insert imaginings here >. Sheesh!

I'm honestly not expecting anything, but it would be good of me to keep possibilities of friendship open. God knows what a bitch it is to make new friends in L.A.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #174
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Jat said
I saw lots of squirrels today, and they were really cute, even though they were grey squirrels and I know I should really stomp on them.
Stomp them Squirrelies dammit! Stomp um good! And the Pizza hut guy while your at it!!

Quote:
Squinky said
I love a good compliemnt
Every Death deserves a good compliemnt.

Quote:
And Dear Trep said
Well, Blogsie, looks like I have a coffee date this evening with a new respondent. He's a tall, goodlooking, muscular fellow with laughing eyes and a playful look. He refers to himself as 'Big Ben' < insert imaginings here >. Sheesh!
Ring dem Bells boy ringum!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #175
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Ring dem Bells boy ringum!!!

Dear Blogsie,

Unfortunately I didn't get Big Ben's email in time. I suspected he would be late or not even make it. Turned out he couldn't. Ended up alone at that cafe enjoying a hot peppermint tea and a few chapters or so of Thomas Harris's The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason (which I got from Amazon.com). Pretty good, controversial reading.

Afterwards I strolled westward and detoured into this....I dunno, a painfully trendy pansexual club, called I Candy. Had some vodka & tonics and got to watch three cute chicks doing some fun cabaret revue. Ha!

Got home at around one. Currently eating a warm chorizo and egg burrito, picked up enroute in Hollywood. Big Ben had written me hoping I would get the message in time that he was stuck at work. Wrote him back letting him know I had a fun evening anyway.

Hmm, my best friend/niece is coming down from San Francsico in a couple weeks. We should go to that I Candy place.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #176
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Trepsie Said
Got home at around one. Currently eating a warm chorizo and egg burrito, picked up enroute in Hollywood. Big Ben had written me hoping I would get the message in time that he was stuck at work. Wrote him back letting him know I had a fun evening anyway.
MMMMMM!!! Chorizo!!!! I cannot find good chorizo in KY for squat!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #177
merely human

Ah that's right. You used to live in Texas. Might be worth your while to stock up good and plenty if you stumble on those sausages at a store.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM   #178
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Ah that's right. You used to live in Texas. Might be worth your while to stock up good and plenty if you stumble on those sausages at a store.

They have them trouble is it's CRAP! They used to have it at one store that was the good stuff but they changed suppliers and BOOM... Garbage.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #179
merely human

What brand was the good one? Why not call the company and ask if there are other stores near you that carry it.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #180
Lovable rogue

Just imagine that Trep has a taste for Spanish sausage...

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena