You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat In the moment: where are you this very minute?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #281
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Today has been one of those days from hell. First I managed to crash into another car (albeit without causing too much damage) at one of the most idiotically labelled junctions I've ever had the misfortune to drive across. One nice bill awaits me. Still, everyone was okay, and neither car is anywhere near to being a write-off. Kind of made me incapable of having a piano lesson straight afterwards, though, and the drive home was hell.
(((Robert))) You do need a hug, don't you! I'm glad you weren't injured and that the cars were in decent shape. I guess things like that sooner or later happens to everybody who drives. I hope you won't lose any sleep over it.

As for you other misfortunes: Computers, what can I say. They're supposed to just work. Everything else is unacceptable.
And your elbow is probably what we call "Tennis elbow". All you can do is to rest, and it takes quite a while before it gets better.
But I guess your dad already told you that.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #282
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Santander, last day of holdiays. Normal service resumes Thursday!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #283
merely human

Weather: Cloudy and quite chilly, 54°F/12°C.

Activity: Just came from shopping with Nanay at the weekly farmer's market, which happens to be literally outside our front door.

Apparel: Black merino wool polo neck sweater with red trim, navy blue t-shirt, distressed rinse indigo skinny jeans, black socks, black Adidas sneakers with white stripes.

State of mind: Alert but slightly dizzy from just coming in from the cold.

Mood: So content from shopping with Nanay, happy 'cause I got a lot of fruits for the next few days and flowers for Dad's ashes.

Thoughts: It felt strangely like a Midwestern autumn outside. From where I'm sitting I can see out the window, the tree across the street has leaves that turned yellow and are cascading down - a bit disorienting. I'm looking forward to dining on the chicken tikka masala I ordered for take away last night at the Indian place my date and I went to. I'm still thinking about him and me sitting in his Jaguar parked in front of my building and sharing bits and pieces of each other's life.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #284
The Major Grubert.

In my dining room, but that would be for the now that is my now, now, at least, in this dimension (which is not necessarily my dimension, unless I believe it is).
Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #285
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

At my desk, hunched over my laptop.

Negative six degrees Celsius. There's light, fluffy Vancouver snow on the ground.

Forumming.

A black sweater and cargo pants.

More lethargic and cloudy than usual, these days.

I've been feeling a little lonely, and a little sad. However, my desire to refrain from annoying people is greater than my desire to spill my guts. Methinks I'll go play some Wii or something.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #286
Kung Fu Code Poet

I'd rather not say I am on the loo with my cell phone, since that would seem somewhat weird and fall in the too much information category. Nor will I mention my weird Monkey Island bowel movement syndrome where me tummy gets horribly upset whenever I play any Monkey Island game. So, I shall just keep it all to myself and avoid the humiliation. Warm summer day out... forgot to put on sunscreen.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #287
Retired Buccaneer

At home after a miserably rotten day at school. My astronomy teacher's been out the last three classes (which were also the first three classes) on jury duty. It's a high-profile local murder trial, and even though the verdict's been reached he still hasn't come back yet.

This morning the substitute (the second we've had; the first was a retired high-school principal who lectured to the class as though we were all five-year-olds) spent most of the lab-work session droning on about how his daughter learned astronomy at age three. That meant we were assigned a good chunk of the lab for homework, including a section that involved a CD which half the class doesn't own yet and which he didn't clearly point out (it's just one of several we have for the class).

So I go up to him to ask, and he can't even explain properly which CD it is, and doesn't know half of the books we have for the course. At which point I exclaim rather passionately how I wish the real teacher was back because I can't understand these directions.

At which point Mr. Boring Stories About My Daughter, instead of trying to sympathize with my emotions (which I'm pretty sure everyone else feels, even if they don't say so), made me stay after class and be lectured about how I had committed several violations of the Code of Student Conduct, blah blah blah, how I could be forcibly removed from the campus, blah blah blah, and how I needed to read the code OR ELSE. What a self-righteous blowhard.

I don't have a problem with authority so much as incompetent authority. Teachers who are familiar with the materials and subject, and who actually bloody teach and do so at a college level, I like. It's just these buffoons who think they're capable of teaching (or filling in in a pinch) when they obviously aren't...they make me sick.

So anyways, now I'm back from school and sulking a bit in my computer chamber. I swear, if there's one more day of these idiotic substitutes, I'm dropping the class faster than a flaming potato.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #288
It's Hard To Be Humble

Weather: cloudy, damp

Activity: eating oatmeal, drinking tea, listening to the Beatles' Love album, helping wife get ready for medical exam, thinking about...

Apparel: sky blue and white striped polo tee, grey sweat pants

State of mind: grey, breezy, cold, foggy patches

Mood: I should be alright, but I'm not, at least not very

Thoughts: WANT
ETA: Still sick.

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 01-12-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #289
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
At home after a miserably rotten day at school. My astronomy teacher's been out the last three classes (which were also the first three classes) on jury duty. It's a high-profile local murder trial, and even though the verdict's been reached he still hasn't come back yet.

This morning the substitute (the second we've had; the first was a retired high-school principal who lectured to the class as though we were all five-year-olds) spent most of the lab-work session droning on about how his daughter learned astronomy at age three. That meant we were assigned a good chunk of the lab for homework, including a section that involved a CD which half the class doesn't own yet and which he didn't clearly point out (it's just one of several we have for the class).

So I go up to him to ask, and he can't even explain properly which CD it is, and doesn't know half of the books we have for the course. At which point I exclaim rather passionately how I wish the real teacher was back because I can't understand these directions.

At which point Mr. Boring Stories About My Daughter, instead of trying to sympathize with my emotions (which I'm pretty sure everyone else feels, even if they don't say so), made me stay after class and be lectured about how I had committed several violations of the Code of Student Conduct, blah blah blah, how I could be forcibly removed from the campus, blah blah blah, and how I needed to read the code OR ELSE. What a self-righteous blowhard.

I don't have a problem with authority so much as incompetent authority. Teachers who are familiar with the materials and subject, and who actually bloody teach and do so at a college level, I like. It's just these buffoons who think they're capable of teaching (or filling in in a pinch) when they obviously aren't...they make me sick.

So anyways, now I'm back from school and sulking a bit in my computer chamber. I swear, if there's one more day of these idiotic substitutes, I'm dropping the class faster than a flaming potato.
LMAO! I feel your pain. My astronomy class was taught by a short, fat, bald, bitter man who would talk incessantly about his ex-wife every class. I almost didn't pass the final due to knowing nothing about the sky and everything about the bastard's failed marriage.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #290
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I've been feeling a little lonely, and a little sad. However, my desire to refrain from annoying people is greater than my desire to spill my guts. Methinks I'll go play some Wii or something.
I don't know how spilling your guts could possibly annoy anyone here. We're your internet family. Anyway, Wii Sports cures all... along with whiskey of course.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #291
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Weather: (Dark) Light drizzle.

Activity: Cursing the slow nature of the computers here, the squeaky mice and the fact that I'm still up but not really enjoying it. And browsing the forums, of course.

Apparel: As usual, but with my overcoat on.

State of Mind/Mood: Annoyed. Tired.

Thoughts: Why is it that computers always play up as soon as they leave the warranty period? My computer isn't booting up. It's not even reaching the point where it shows the BIOS screen. It's just making strange clicking noises with the DVD drive.

I am not a happy bunny. It has of course picked the start of a new term to fail, when I'm supposed to be making a termcard for my college's music society (using software that - guess what - is only on my computer), and when I have to start writing essays (typed, of course). The next few days will of course show me just how much I rely on a computer for pretty much everything in my life.

Gah.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #292
Bad command or file name

^ That clicking noise is more likely from your hard drive rather than the DVD drive. Of course that isn't much consolation as it usually means the drive and the data on it is toast. Post in my computer advice thread if you would like to go over it further.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #293
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty View Post
Anyway, Wii Sports cures all... along with whiskey of course.
A man after my own heart!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 01-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #294
tsa
Playing character

I'm on the couch, listening to jazz music from the Internet (radioio), wearing a green fleece sweater and jeans. I'm a bit bored and wondering if I shall walk back to the city where I was this morning. Not that I have anything to do there, but it's a healthy walk. The temperature outside is 12 degrees C, and it's grey there. Will winter start this month, or will we skip the winter alltogether this year, I wonder.
OK, I'm off...
Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #295
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
At my desk, hunched over my laptop.

Negative six degrees Celsius. There's light, fluffy Vancouver snow on the ground.

Forumming.

A black sweater and cargo pants.

More lethargic and cloudy than usual, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty View Post
I don't know how spilling your guts could possibly annoy anyone here. We're your internet family.

...bysmitty

Yea, spill your guts Squinky. It'll make you feel good, and we can try to cheer you up!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #296
Lazy Bee

Weather: It's actually a storm outside.

Activity: Waiting for Mr J to come home after picking up our daughter from her acrobatic class. We'll spend the evening watching Pirates of the Caribbean2 and The Da Vinci Code.

Apparel: Black jeans and a grey v-neck, long sleeve t-shirt.

State of Mind/Mood: I drank too much red wine yesterday when we had our friends over for dinner. I have a hangover with head ache and everything. This makes me feel slightly disapponted with myself. I really didn't see it coming. We had a great time anyway.

Thoughts: Bring me a cup of tea, light the candles and let me lie down in the sofa and just relax...
Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #297

Weather: a sunny 33 F, with snow and ice on the ground.

Mood: down.

Thoughts: Seattle lost. I'm sad.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #298
merely human

Mountains in Malawi.

Weather: Night, clear, 43°F / 6°C. Very, very cold for SoCal.

Activity: Catching up on emails, NPR news.

Apparel: Skinny black zip neck fleece pullover, white cotton t-shirt underneath, low rise indigo skinny jeans, black cotton socks (about to change into sleepwear).

State of mind: Relatively alert, on the threshold of a slowdive...

Mood: Pleased, content, relaxed, enriched in mind and soul.

Thoughts: Mr. PhD is extraordinary. He is, to put it unapologetically, the most remarkably substantial individual I've met in L.A. thus far. His eyes, his face, conveys far, far more humanism than a thousand Angelenos' put together. Then again, he is NOT of this shallow consumerist culture. I wanted to embrace him. Thank god, a kindred spirit. Finally.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #299
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Weather: -4°C. It was reasonably sunny today, with the snow still on the ground. Very pretty. Too bad I'm not fond of the cold.

Activity: Forumming, IMing, rearranging the books on my new bookshelf.

Apparel: Dark blue sweater over a t-shirt that proves that 2 = 1, light blue pyjama pants with ice-skating penguins on them.

State of Mind: Overcast, though not quite raining.

Thoughts: Well, since you asked...

I only started school a week ago, but it feels like much longer than that. I'm not happy, and it's only going to get worse once I get the assignments and tests thrown at me. I miss California, Telltale, and living by myself. Plus, my sleeping schedule's out of whack, seeing as I wasn't able to schedule my courses as late as I wanted to.

On lonely nights like these, I want to throw myself into doing something creative so I can distract myself from my melancholy. But my head's just so cloudy, and I'm starting to get tired. I'll probably just go finish the book-rearranging, then curl up in bed with one of my textbooks.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #300
merely human

Weather: Cloudy and cooler, 49°F / 9°C.

Activity: Watching the X06 Mass Effect gameplay demo for the umpteenth time, sipping coffee.

Apparel: Grey cotton t-shirt, dark blue jersey shorts.

State of Mind: Somewhat distracted, slightly contemplative.

Mood: Not so much content as resigned, needing a little incentive to feel content.

Thoughts: Must make a couple phone calls, go to the bank, the groceries, but need to hop into the shower first. I wish days off could last longer, though work isn't really stressful to warrant it. I need to look up mutually convenient and quality venues (coffeehouses, cafes) where Mr. PhD and I can meet again to chat, Old Pas is too full of ridiculous shallow types who just want to be like everyone else and consume, consume, consume, and not truly think for themselves and think and discuss things that really matter (as opposed to the latest cell phones, what they found at Banana Republic the other day, or their most recent arguments with their boyfriend).