You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat In the moment: where are you this very minute?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #241
merely human

Weather: Sunny, 82°F/28°C.

Activity: Just got home from errands, catching up on forum, nibbling some leftover tomato & onion omelet Nanay made this mornig.

Apparel: Little Copenhagen blue polo shirt, indigo skinny jeans, black suede skate shoes.

State of mind: Awake, alert, the usual.

Mood: Relatively good, but with background niggling thoughts.

Thoughts: It's a bit annoying that I have to return to work tomorrow, but still not too bad because it shouldn't be hectic there, just the typical slow day at the museum. Need to run out again to shop at Trader Joe's. Finally got some more ink cartridges so I can print a couple more submission letters to literary quarterlies I'm sending work to. Then I walked over to Barnes & Noble in Old Pasadena and picked up The Assassins: The Radical Sect in Islam by Bernard Lewis. Good history lesson preparation for when I get the upcoming Xbox 360's Assassin's Creed. Yeah, terrorism goes back at least a few centuries.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #242
Creepy Father Figure

OOoooo I like the subject of terrorism. Like back in the days of castle seiges when they would fling dead deseased bodies over the walls with catapults. Those folks really knew how to fight a war.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #243
merely human

You knew why they did that, right?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #244
Lovable rogue

Trepsie is fun,
My feet are wet,
time to go sleep,
that you can bet!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #245
merely human

Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #246
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
OOoooo I like the subject of terrorism. Like back in the days of castle seiges when they would fling dead deseased bodies over the walls with catapults. Those folks really knew how to fight a war.
That was more the early stages of biological warfare - rather than terrorism - though. Either that, or I'm missing something.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #247
merely human

Might be arguable. Bio-warfare seems more like a strategy during the fight, whereas terrorism smacks of coercion or intimidation.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #248
Creepy Father Figure

I always relate psychological intimidation during wartime to terrorism. It's real easy to win a war when everyone is running out of a castle in fear.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #249
merely human

That reminds me of a joke my sister emailed me, the one about how we should just drop plane loads of pigs into the countryside and tunnels dug by the terrorists in Iraq. Is that true that they avoid pigs at all costs?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #250
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Location/Weather/Apparel: See previous posts made at night.

Activity: Reading these forums. Listening to highlights from HMS Pinafore. Not reading.

State of Mind/Mood: It's only two weeks into the term, but I'm tired. Lots of work, combined with not being able to do enough academic reading, are making life rather stressful and hectic at the moment. At the same time, though, I'm feeling particularly apathetic during the evenings. Hence the lack of reading this evening (a bad thing).

Thoughts: Why is it that, when I have so much in life that I could/should be happy about, I'm only capable of dwelling on the things that I don't like so much? It's hardly a recipe for feeling good about life. I also wish that I could sort out my sleep patterns - I've been getting up at some point between 0800 and 0930 every day, but I generally don't feel tired until about 0200. Which means that I never get eight hours of sleep (and sometimes as little as five or six hours). That and my diet - too many packets of crisps in the last few days - worry me a bit. As if I don't have enough to hate myself for...

On the bright side, most of the people around me seem to be fairly happy, and a friend here put up with me talking her ear off until 0100 the other day. It was kind of novel to actually hold a long conversation with someone.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:03 PM   #251
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That reminds me of a joke my sister emailed me, the one about how we should just drop plane loads of pigs into the countryside and tunnels dug by the terrorists in Iraq. Is that true that they avoid pigs at all costs?
That's a great idea!! in the southern US there are feral pigs popping up everywhere! We're talking 500 pounders with tusks and all. We tranquilize a few thousand of them then set them loose in the Afghanistan mountains. You have never seen something scary till you have a hungry 500 pound boar looking at you while your holding a sandwich.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #252
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
It was kind of novel to actually hold a long conversation with someone.
I'm a huge fan of long conversations. Especially when they're deep and meaningful. But I also like it when they're light, fluffy, and funny. Ideally, they're a healthy mix of all of the above. I wish there were more people in my life I could have such conversations with. *sigh*

We don't care, Squinky!

Yeah, yeah, I know. Anyway, back on topic:

Where the hell am I? At werk.

How's the weather over here? Still sunny. It's California.

What am I doing? Making your dreams come true through episodic adventure gaming.

What am I wearing? Brown hoodie jacket, navy blue shirt with a few thousand decimal places of pi on it, cargo pants with a camouflage pattern, chucks.

What's going on in my head? We went for a Starbucks run an hour ago, so now I'm all bouncy and caffeinated. I feel like doing something creative. I also feel like having a conversation. A part of me really wants to play some jazz music and start swing dancing. But sadly, I have to werk. Oh well.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #253
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink
I'm a huge fan of long conversations. Especially when they're deep and meaningful. But I also like it when they're light, fluffy, and funny. Ideally, they're a healthy mix of all of the above. I wish there were more people in my life I could have such conversations with. *sigh*
I can do both, and at the same time. I've actually been looooonging for that ever since I moved down here to L.A. There is a most perfect cafe across the street from me where I live in South Pasadena (NOT a f***ing Starbucks, but a TRUE indie cafe, with the worn out wooden floor, old furniture, laid back bohemian type baristas (*sigh* my old art school days), and charming various patrons (Woody Allen types, musicians, art students, skinhead tattooed dads toting their little baby kids). THAT is a most splendid place to have hours of long deep conversing and lightness.

Sadly I still haven't made any new friends in the neighbourhood to hang there with.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #254
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
State of Mind/Mood: It's only two weeks into the term, but I'm tired. Lots of work, combined with not being able to do enough academic reading, are making life rather stressful and hectic at the moment. At the same time, though, I'm feeling particularly apathetic during the evenings. Hence the lack of reading this evening (a bad thing).
I was having a discussion about this the other day about having things that need to be done and time to do them and you don't. Activities for me that involve the job that pays me, I get done because I know if I don't, I'll piss others off. With my dissertation stuff, I can procrastinate on that terribly at times (by coming here, doing other non PhD stuff). Part of that with me is my worry that I'll mess the experiment up (again), so I'm afraid to try it again. Someone said that better to screw it up now and try and work it out than do it next month and have wasted a month. Part of it too is that with all the other stuff you do, you need that time to recharge. Perhaps you're trying to do too much? You may need to pare down the extracurricular stuff you do so you aren't draining too much of yourself.

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-20-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #255
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
How's the weather over here? Still sunny. It's California.
Man, I envy you.

Quote:
Making your dreams come true through episodic adventure gaming.
I'm SO JEALOUS!

It's raining here, and I'm not developing an episodic game. I can't take it no more! *sob* Life is so unfair to me...

--Erwin
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #256
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
I'm SO JEALOUS!
Well, if I were the Queen of Everything, I'd teleport you over here and you could finish playing Sam & Max and then we could have long conversations and swing dance. Unfortunately, this is not the case, so I'll just say "nyah!"

Quote:
I can do both, and at the same time. I've actually been looooonging for that ever since I moved down here to L.A. There is a most perfect cafe across the street from me where I live in South Pasadena (NOT a f***ing Starbucks, but a TRUE indie cafe, with the worn out wooden floor, old furniture, laid back bohemian type baristas (*sigh* my old art school days), and charming various patrons (Woody Allen types, musicians, art students, skinhead tattooed dads toting their little baby kids). THAT is a most splendid place to have hours of long deep conversing and lightness.
Damn, I want that cafe! Again, if I were the Queen of Everything, I'd so teleport myself over there and have a long chat with you. I can't promise I'd be all that interesting, though.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #257
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squink View Post
Damn, I want that cafe! Again, if I were the Queen of Everything,
I thought you WERE Queen of Everything.

Quote:
I'd so teleport myself over there and have a long chat with you. I can't promise I'd be all that interesting, though.
Yeah, that's what my friends thought too before they had a nice long coffee session with me. How do you think they got to be my friendds?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #258
Under pressure.

Quote:
I thought you WERE Queen of Everything.
Yeah, me too. Another fantasy shattered. This isn't my day!

--Erwin
Old 10-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #259
Creepy Father Figure

damn, and I'm just a fluff ball of shallowness
Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #260
merely human

Where I'm from we'd call you lint from the dryer.