You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM   #61
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Mavs-Spurs Game 4
I think the Spurs were robbed. The foul called on Duncan WAS a charge (since obviously he was way out of the restricted area) and it caused a 5 point swing towards the end of the game with a delay of game technical on top of it. Also the last foul call on Dirk with 8 seconds left was a joke. If it was any other player, they wouldn't have called it a foul.
I dunno if this is true, but I heard the refs actually made Tony Parker miss both of his free throws with 32 seconds left. I also heard they made Michael Finley turn the ball over with 38 seconds left in regulation, AND I heard they made Tim Duncan miss the potential game winning, 6-foot shot with 1 second left in regulation. The next thing I heard seems a little "out there", but who knows... I heard that David Stern had a special magnet put inside the ball that responded to a certain magnet in the Mavs basket and that's how they were able to get critical offensive rebounds, hit clutch shot after clutch shot down the stretch, and how Dirk was able to hit both crucial free throws under pressure with 8 seconds left...

Look, the Spurs had PLENTY of chances to ice this thing, more than the Mavs did actually, but they couldn't do it. That's the fault of the Spurs PLAYERS (and perhaps a credit to the Mavs defense) as opposed to any fault of the refs. The game was badly called both ways (as are most NBA games, so no harm done), and both teams had an equal number of free throws. I'm no fan of NBA officiating, but they didn't decide this game. There have been many games where I thought the refs decided the game (several in the Lakers and Sacramento series a few years back when Sacramento was TRULY robbed), but this just wasn't one of them at all. The Spurs had far too many chances to win for the refs to be blamed.

Anyway, the series isn't over yet. I can't relax until there are 4 wins. Spurs can still come back, they're still the champs after all, until they lose 4.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 05-16-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #62
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I dunno if this is true, but I heard the refs actually made Tony Parker miss both of his free throws with 32 seconds left. I also heard they made Michael Finley turn the ball over with 38 seconds left in regulation, AND I heard they made Tim Duncan miss the potential game winning, 6-foot shot with 1 second left in regulation. The next thing I heard seems a little "out there", but who knows... I heard that David Stern had a special magnet put inside the ball that responded to a certain magnet in the Mavs basket and that's how they were able to get critical offensive rebounds, hit clutch shot after clutch shot down the stretch, and how Dirk was able to hit both crucial free throws under pressure with 8 seconds left...

Look, the Spurs had PLENTY of chances to ice this thing, more than the Mavs did actually, but they couldn't do it. That's the fault of the Spurs PLAYERS (and perhaps a credit to the Mavs defense) as opposed to any fault of the refs. The game was badly called both ways (as are most NBA games, so no harm done), and both teams had an equal number of free throws. I'm no fan of NBA officiating, but they didn't decide this game. There have been many games where I thought the refs decided the game (several in the Lakers and Sacramento series a few years back when Sacramento was TRULY robbed), but this just wasn't one of them at all. The Spurs had far too many chances to win for the refs to be blamed.
I agree that the Spurs had a silly turnover in the end but that was not what affected the final score. They were still up with 15 seconds left on the clock. I think in this case, the refs really had a say in the outcome of the game. When you have 8 seconds left on the clock, and Bruce Bowen does not foul Nowitsky, but they still call it, that is the game right there. They should have let them play, and let the players dictate the outcome of the game and not call a cheap controversial foul with 8 seconds left.
Also the three point play against Duncan with about 2 minutes left totally changed the face of the game. Instead of being up by 5 and having possession, they were up by only 2 with an extra foul on Duncan.

That is not to say that Dallas did not have a wonderful game, because they did. But I just felt that the outcome of the game really should have been dictated by the players themselves and not the refs.

But this was by far, one of the best games I've watched all year long. These 2 teams are playing some wonderful basketball. Who says that defense isn't fun

Firefox rules
Old 05-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #63
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
When you have 8 seconds left on the clock, and Bruce Bowen does not foul Nowitsky, but they still call it, that is the game right there. They should have let them play, and let the players dictate the outcome of the game and not call a cheap controversial foul with 8 seconds left.
Hey, any time you want to spell Dirk's last name correctly just look under my name on this website, above my avatar. Just giving you a hard time...

Anyway, I dunno if that was a foul or not, but I do know that Dick Bavetta is one of the most respected officials in the league (though over 33 years or whatever it has been he's going to have SOME questionable calls, he's only human) and probably had a better look at it than we did. I also know that Dirk had to sink both of those free throws under extreme pressure for it to matter anyway. Clutch, clutch, clutch. Something the Spurs weren't last night, aside from Finley.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #64
OUATIJ Creator

Oh wow... Cleveland up 3-2 on Detroit with the chance to close the series out in Cleveland next game. Craziness.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #65
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Oh wow... Cleveland up 3-2 on Detroit with the chance to close the series out in Cleveland next game. Craziness.
I know. What is wrong with the world?

Firefox rules
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #66
Homer of Kittens

Mavs vs Spurs WOW just WOW. The most wonderful basketball played by 2 of the best teams. Amazing series, every game goes down to the final second. We have a series folks. I can't wait for game 6 in Dallas.

Firefox rules
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #67
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Mavs vs Spurs WOW just WOW. The most wonderful basketball played by 2 of the best teams. Amazing series, every game goes down to the final second. We have a series folks. I can't wait for game 6 in Dallas.
Yeah good game. Dirk had it though, that's what I'm upset about. If he had realized he had a little more time on that last layup, series over. But he got the rebound and sorta swatted it up because he though the buzzer was about to go.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #68
OUATIJ Creator

Well, now it's clear the NBA wants the Spurs to move on. Jason Terry suspended Game 6 for "punching" Finley with 3.4 second left in the last game. Did ANYONE see this? Oh well...I can give the Spurs credit for nothing they accomplish from here on out. What a cheap, cheap effort to get a win in Dallas.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #69
SamNMax

I don't care at this point.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #70
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Well, now it's clear the NBA wants the Spurs to move on. Jason Terry suspended Game 6 for "punching" Finley with 3.4 second left in the last game. Did ANYONE see this? Oh well...I can give the Spurs credit for nothing they accomplish from here on out. What a cheap, cheap effort to get a win in Dallas.
Guess they are making up for the farce that was game 4

But seriously why did they suspend him. They didn't even suspend him from game 5 itself.

Firefox rules
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #71
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Guess they are making up for the farce that was game 4

But seriously why did they suspend him. They didn't even suspend him from game 5 itself.
Game 4 farce was already cancelled out by the farce that was Game 1.

They suspended him to give the Spurs a chance to win in Dallas where they are 4-0 this postseason.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #72
Homer of Kittens

I just read about it now. It's a big shame that the refs have to interfere and screw the series even further. They should just let the players play, and let them dictate the outcome of the game.

Firefox rules
Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #73
Homer of Kittens

Spurs are sneaking back

Firefox rules
Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #74
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Spurs are sneaking back
Of course they are. The NBA won't have it any other way. They take away critical Mavs players, etc. The Spurs aren't sneaking back by any skill of their own. If they win the championship their victory will be tainted.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #75
Homer of Kittens

After seeing the Terry play again from another angle, I can understand why he was suspended. You can't punch someone where the sun don't shine and get away with it. I was actually wondering why Finley was very pissed with 3 seconds left, because you couldn't see anything except Finley and Terry both holding the ball. It's not like Finley to be pissed for no reason. He is one of the most class players in the league, and I've rarely see him get upset about anything.
But the rules are the rules. You punch someone in the balls, you get suspended.

Firefox rules
Old 05-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #76
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
After seeing the Terry play again from another angle, I can understand why he was suspended. You can't punch someone where the sun don't shine and get away with it. I was actually wondering why Finley was very pissed with 3 seconds left, because you couldn't see anything except Finley and Terry both holding the ball. It's not like Finley to be pissed for no reason. He is one of the most class players in the league, and I've rarely see him get upset about anything.
But the rules are the rules. You punch someone in the balls, you get suspended.
But if you grab them and pull them, you're ok. That happened to Chris Kaman and the guy who did it was only fined. It's inconsistency, period. Besides, if I had two guys LANDING ON ME and getting a jump ball call AFTER I was calling time out, I'd try to get them off of my head as well.

The timeout the NBA ignored:

And the following assault that gets REWARDED to the Spurs with a jump ball:

Bottom line: The NBA is a business and they wanted this thing to go 7. End of story. The only way LeBron is in a 7 game series with Detroit is because the NBA is a business. The only way 3 of the 4 series in this round are going 7 is because the NBA is a business. The Spurs deserve not one ounce of credit for anything that has happened in this series. Their constant whining and flopping has gotten the referees on their side (free throws last night: 34 for the Spurs, 20 for the Mavs). Mavs were up 6 at the half, and suddenly they got no more calls (3 free throws in the second half to 16 or so for the Spurs). These guys aren't champs. They are:

Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #77
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
But if you grab them and pull them, you're ok. That happened to Chris Kaman and the guy who did it was only fined. It's inconsistency, period. Besides, if I had two guys LANDING ON ME and getting a jump ball call AFTER I was calling time out, I'd try to get them off of my head as well.
You'd try to get them off but not punch them in their balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veKEhpjb1c&search=jason%20terry
Come on, that is okay in your book?

I agree that the guy who grabbed Kaman should be suspended too, but I don't agree that if the NBA screwed up once, it should screw up again.

And when I was complaining about the ref making bad calls left and right for game 4, which changed the face of the game, you were calling the ref a veteran. Now they are not anymore, when the calls went against the Mavs.

I think that the Dallas Mavs are the whinners. Timmy handled the question about Mark Cuban with class. He said he had nothing to say to him.
Mark Cuban was the guy going on radio shows and firing his mouth. Which owner does that?

Firefox rules
Old 05-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #78
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
You'd try to get them off but not punch them in their balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veKEhpjb1c&search=jason%20terry
Come on, that is okay in your book?

I agree that the guy who grabbed Kaman should be suspended too, but I don't agree that if the NBA screwed up once, it should screw up again.

And when I was complaining about the ref making bad calls left and right for game 4, which changed the face of the game, you were calling the ref a veteran. Now they are not anymore, when the calls went against the Mavs.

I think that the Dallas Mavs are the whinners. Timmy handled the question about Mark Cuban with class. He said he had nothing to say to him.
Mark Cuban was the guy going on radio shows and firing his mouth. Which owner does that?
Yes, what he did was ok in my book when someone lands on your head. How much more helpless can you feel? The refs don't protect you when you clearly call a time out, they let two guys jump on top of you and then reward them for it. You have to stand up for yourself in that situation. And yes, Dick Bevetta is a veteran. He wasn't the official last night. And by the way, the Mavs hate Dick Bavetta, but I like him. I'm not biased in this matter. Bavetta still is a veteran, so your point is moot. The Spurs are the greatest whiners in the history of the NBA and the only good thing about them winning a championship is that the trophy stays in Texas.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #79
hello

Mavs are going to have to do something about Ginobli if they want to take this series... He has won the last two games for the spurs, with critical plays in the 4th quarter. Cant wait to see outcome of game 7... GO MAVS!
Old 05-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #80
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Yes, what he did was ok in my book when someone lands on your head. How much more helpless can you feel? The refs don't protect you when you clearly call a time out, they let two guys jump on top of you and then reward them for it. You have to stand up for yourself in that situation. And yes, Dick Bevetta is a veteran. He wasn't the official last night. And by the way, the Mavs hate Dick Bavetta, but I like him. I'm not biased in this matter. Bavetta still is a veteran, so your point is moot. The Spurs are the greatest whiners in the history of the NBA and the only good thing about them winning a championship is that the trophy stays in Texas.
If you want to look at refereeing, the Spurs got 196 free throws in this series, the Mavs got 192, which as you can see is almost identical. The reason why San Antonio got more free throws in the last game is because they were more aggressive in driving into the lane and playing inside, as opposed to Dallas, which relied more on Nowitski shooting the ball.

As far as calling the last jump ball against Terry a foul, I totally disagree. Both players were fighting for possesion for a ball Terry lost.

And I did not see him calling timeout at all

This is not a timeout call. Look at his hands, they are not even touching each other.

Firefox rules