You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #121
Homer of Kittens

I'm sorry to say, but the Mavs are the biggest cry babies. The last call might be questionable, but could it be that D Wade is really fast and it is almost impossible to see the play without a slow re-wind. I thought that the Mavs also had the same type of call in one of the games against the Spurs, where Nowitski went up and shot two free throws with 7 seconds left and they won that game, and it was NOT a foul. I didn't see the Spurs crying back then, but it seems that whatever the Mavs do, it's always the ref's fault. Stack didn't play because of an ugly flagrant foul and they went all over the media crying and whinning, whereas when Posey was ejected Miami just replaced him and played. Maybe if the Mavs concentrate more on playing than pointing fingers towards the refs, they might win some games.

Firefox rules
Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #122
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I'm sorry to say, but the Mavs are the biggest cry babies. The last call might be questionable, but could it be that D Wade is really fast and it is almost impossible to see the play without a slow re-wind. I thought that the Mavs also had the same type of call in one of the games against the Spurs, where Nowitski went up and shot two free throws with 7 seconds left and they won that game, and it was NOT a foul. I didn't see the Spurs crying back then, but it seems that whatever the Mavs do, it's always the ref's fault. Stack didn't play because of an ugly flagrant foul and they went all over the media crying and whinning, whereas when Posey was ejected Miami just replaced him and played. Maybe if the Mavs concentrate more on playing than pointing fingers towards the refs, they might win some games.
I already said, I haven't blamed the refs for the other losses. Game 3 was all the Mavs fault. They blew it, plain and simple. Game 4 was, again, ALL the Mavs fault. They played their worst game of the entire playoffs. But Game 5 had the referees fingerprints all over it. Wade shouldn't have even been able to make that drive because of his over and back violation. He had established himself in the front court (that's where he caught the inbound pass) and THEN he ran into the backcourt. Play over. Mavs ball.

Well, not when the refs are wanting Miami to win, but generally... And then of course that led to the phantom call that gave Wade 2 free throws with 1.9 seconds left.

The whole game was poorly called though, I'm not saying it was only the final moments. Wade alone had as many free throws as the entire Mavs team. Look, I happen to know these refs all too well. I know the good ones, I know the bad ones. As I've said, Dick Bevetta is ok in my book. But Joey Crawford is one of the worst officials in the history of the NBA. I'll give you three guesses who the main official was for Game 5, and the first two guesses don't count...

As for the "whining" about the Stackhouse suspension, I think the concern was just the inconsistency of the league. And it HAS been rather inconsistent. If you look at replays, Stackhouse WAS making a play on the ball, but the ball was in Shaq's right hand. The ONLY hard foul Stackhouse could make on that play was to go THROUGH SHAQ to get the ball. And Shaq did open up Stackhouse's nose in a gash that required three stitches, but he didn't get any suspension. Basically, if Shaq had done to Stackhouse the SAME FOUL that Stackhouse did to Shaq, there would have been no suspension. Some players in the NBA do get special treatment.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 06-19-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #123
hello

Very disappointing that foul call. It was clearly not a foul. However if Josh howard hadnt done the stupidist thing ever in an NBA game, and wasted their last time out, they could have done the same thing, drive to hoop and get a foul call...

The worst thing about the leagues officiating in my opinion is that Wade takes about 3 or 4 steps almost every time he makes one of his "amazing" plays, and barely ever gets called for a travel...
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 AM   #124
Homer of Kittens

About the back court violation thing, I thought it was a back court violation as well, but Hubie Brown the commentator didn't even mention it. I really don't know every single aspect of the rules, but I thought you cannot do that.

The last call was questionable, but there have been many many games throughout the playoffs with questionable calls. I just don't think referreing has been good in general throughout the playoffs, and not just in this game. The NBA tends to always give the benefit of the doubt to the superstar, whether it is D Wade or D Nowitski, which I don't like at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
The ONLY hard foul Stackhouse could make on that play was to go THROUGH SHAQ to get the ball. And Shaq did open up Stackhouse's nose in a gash that required three stitches, but he didn't get any suspension. Basically, if Shaq had done to Stackhouse the SAME FOUL that Stackhouse did to Shaq, there would have been no suspension.
That foul was very dirty and it deserved suspension. It was mallicious and intentional, and he could have really injured the big guy. I think it was well deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once a villain
Some players in the NBA do get special treatment.
Nowitski is definitely one of them as well.

Firefox rules
Old 06-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #125
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Nowitski is definitely one of them as well.
SoccerDude, you have every right to have an opinion, but for crying out loud...just ONCE spell Dirk's last name correctly. It hasn't happened yet in ANY of the basketball threads you've posted in, and yes it's a small issue but since he's my favorite player in the league, it's DRIVING ME INSANE.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #126
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
SoccerDude, you have every right to have an opinion, but for crying out loud...just ONCE spell Dirk's last name correctly. It hasn't happened yet in ANY of the basketball threads you've posted in, and yes it's a small issue but since he's my favorite player in the league, it's DRIVING ME INSANE.
He's German so it doesn't count. Now if I spell Marc Kuban's name wrong

Firefox rules
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #127
OUATIJ Creator

Wow, did Bill Simmons of ESPN's Page 2 predict this series perfectly or what?

"First, Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) as the entire Dallas team in Game 5. I just don't see how there's any way this can happen in a fairly-called game. It's theoretically impossible.

Second, everyone knew the officiating would be a problem heading into this series because of Cuban's past problems with the league. In my Finals preview, I wrote that, "No team depends on the refs quite like the Heat. When the refs are calling all the bumps on Shaq and protecting Wade on every drive, they're unstoppable. When they're calling everything fairly, they're eminently beatable. If they're not getting any calls, they're just about hopeless. I could see the refs swinging two games in Miami's favor during this series, possibly three. In fact, I'm already depressed about it and the series hasn't even started yet."

Well, we had our two games -- Game 3 (the last five minutes were just obscene) and Game 5 (again, a top-five debacle). And the series isn't over yet."
Old 06-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #128
OUATIJ Creator

Congrats to the Heat.

See below for my true feelings...

Spoiler:
I think the referees should get a trophy too. They were a huge part of the Heat team.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #129
hello

I would just like to say. it is a sad day for the NBA, and world sports for that matter.

I was initially annoyed that Mark Cuban would make an accusation that the NBA was rigged, as i thought it was ridiculous. Then after hearing that Phil Jackson at one point had also made the accusation, i thought that coming from the NBAs greatest ever coach (arguably), it may have some grounding, but still not likely.... But after watching todays game....
Old 06-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #130
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
I would just like to say. it is a sad day for the NBA, and world sports for that matter.

I was initially annoyed that Mark Cuban would make an accusation that the NBA was rigged, as i thought it was ridiculous. Then after hearing that Phil Jackson at one point had also made the accusation, i thought that coming from the NBAs greatest ever coach (arguably), it may have some grounding, but still not likely.... But after watching todays game....
And Game 5 was even WORSE. But yes, for Game 6 the TV angles were better to see the damage. What about the foul call that sent Wade to the line where not only was he untouched, but no Maverick was within a foot and a half of him? LOL. That was in the first half though, boring, lets move on to the last 25 seconds.

ANOTHER Wade bail out call when the Mavs were up 1 (echoes of Game 5). Worst of all, it wasn't a shooting foul but they were in the penalty so Wade gave the Heat the lead with FREE THROWS yet again. Remember that "foul"? Dirk was running sideways staying with Wade, Dirk's arms were STRAIGHT UP to prove to the officials that he wasn't fouling, but then Wade throws his RIGHT ELBOW into Dirk's chest. BLEEEEEP! Offensive foul right! Mavs ball! Not in this league. Wade at the line. Dirk, HOW DARE YOU get elbowed in the chest!

By then, the damage was done, but on the final play when Terry tried for 3, his jersey was being held onto by Gary Payton. No call there either.

Dwayne Wade 21 free throws. Mavericks TEAM 23 free throws. So much for home cooking...

Last edited by Once A Villain; 06-21-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #131
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
ANOTHER Wade bail out call when the Mavs were up 1 (echoes of Game 5). Worst of all, it wasn't a shooting foul but they were in the penalty so Wade gave the Heat the lead with FREE THROWS yet again.
I don't mean to take anything away from the Heat's acomplishment, but I didn't get the feeling they earned either of those victories in the final minute.

When Nowitzki put the Mavs ahead at the end of Game 5, he worked for those points. That how you want to see a team win a game. When Wade put the Heat back in front... yawn. Same goes for the last two freethrows he made in Game 6.

Foul or no foul, nobody wants to watch a freethrow shooting contest - especially in final minutes of a close game.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #132
hello

Quote:
And Game 5 was even WORSE. But yes, for Game 6 the TV angles were better to see the damage. What about the foul call that sent Wade to the line where not only was he untouched, but no Maverick was within a foot and a half of him? LOL. That was in the first half though, boring, lets move on to the last 25 seconds.

ANOTHER Wade bail out call when the Mavs were up 1 (echoes of Game 5). Worst of all, it wasn't a shooting foul but they were in the penalty so Wade gave the Heat the lead with FREE THROWS yet again. Remember that "foul"? Dirk was running sideways staying with Wade, Dirk's arms were STRAIGHT UP to prove to the officials that he wasn't fouling, but then Wade throws his RIGHT ELBOW into Dirk's chest. BLEEEEEP! Offensive foul right! Mavs ball! Not in this league. Wade at the line. Dirk, HOW DARE YOU get elbowed in the chest!

By then, the damage was done, but on the final play when Terry tried for 3, his jersey was being held onto by Gary Payton. No call there either.

Dwayne Wade 21 free throws. Mavericks TEAM 23 free throws. So much for home cooking...
yep, all of those were so obviously not fouls on wade...
How about the one where the only defender on him was daniels, and he clearly didnt touch him, so he makes an easy lay-up, and they call a foul...
There is no way that a ref could be that bad, just no way, even a monkey could ref better than that, which is why it is so sad and obvious that they were paid off...
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #133
SamNMax

Yeah, nevermind that Miamai, especially Wade, Posey, Haslem and even Payton to some degree, played phenominal games. The refs made a few questionable calls which means Miami played terribly and got lucky. And I'll be damned if I'm going to stand for it.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #134
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Yeah, nevermind that Miamai, especially Wade, Posey, Haslem and even Payton to some degree, played phenominal games. The refs made a few questionable calls which means Miami played terribly and got lucky. And I'll be damned if I'm going to stand for it.

you are kidding right? did you actually watch the game? it was overtly obvious that this game was won by the 21 free throws wade made, half of which were on foul calls which didnt exist... Mavs played so damn well to be within three and have the ball for the last shot attempt... but what are you to do when someone is pulling you down by the jersey when you are trying to shoot the shot?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #135
OUATIJ Creator

Here's a good write up. The quality on the videos could be clearer, but it's STILL clear enough...

What's the saddest thing about this though?

Game 6 wasn't NEARLY as bad as Game 5 officiating-wise. Bill Simmons and several other analysts have claimed that Game 5 in this series was the worst officiated game since Game 6 of the Lakers and Sacramento series in 2002 (and that's saying something, since that's STILL the worst officiated game I've ever witnessed). So, unfortunately this article is only about Game 6. Still funny though, AND obvious...

http://www.ericfolkerth.com//B108261...743/index.html

Oh, and does anyone find it telling that Wade averaged 50 free throws per series in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and then got 96 in the Finals? The refs DOUBLED their calls in Wade's favor in the Finals.

Also, I'm sure you all know the saying, "The more aggressive team gets more calls in their favor." So much for that... The Mavs had more points in the paint in the last two games, that's being aggressive and not settling for long range jumpers. Even shooting only 37% from the field the Mavs had more points in the paint, but they STILL couldn't buy a foul. On the other hand, the refs protected (and even CREATED phantom calls for) Wade and Shaq as if they were royalty.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 06-21-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #136
hello

Quote:
Here's a good write up. The quality on the videos could be clearer, but it's STILL clear enough...

What's the saddest thing about this though?

Game 6 wasn't NEARLY as bad as Game 5 officiating-wise. Bill Simmons and several other analysts have claimed that Game 5 in this series was the worst officiated game since Game 6 of the Lakers and Sacramento series in 2002 (and that's saying something, since that's STILL the worst officiated game I've ever witnessed). So, unfortunately this article is only about Game 6. Still funny though, AND obvious...

http://www.ericfolkerth.com//B108261...743/index.html

Oh, and does anyone find it telling that Wade averaged 50 free throws per series in the Eastern Conference playoffs, and then got 96 in the Finals? The refs DOUBLED their calls in Wade's favor in the Finals.

Also, I'm sure you all know the saying, "The more aggressive team gets more calls in their favor." So much for that... The Mavs had more points in the paint in the last two games, that's being aggressive and not settling for long range jumpers. Even shooting only 37% from the field the Mavs had more points in the paint, but they STILL couldn't buy a foul. On the other hand, the refs protected (and even CREATED phantom calls for) Wade and Shaq as if they were royalty.
Lets just hope those refs never ref another game...
Old 06-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #137
SamNMax

I'm willing to grant that the NBA's rigged, but come on. Of course it is. It would suck if it wasn't.