You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures The Silver Lining - Public Demo Released

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 03:39 PM   #21
LA-S-LE

The demo, with all bugs and camera problems, looks really promising. You catch the atmosphere of KQ series, wich was lost after KQ 7-8. Fantastic!
Yonkey
cesarbittar
But how the controls will look like in the final release? As far as I understand, it will be in Grim Fandango/Syberia style, rather then KQ8/Gabriel Knight 3? Or maybe something like Broken Sword 3/Ankh, where camera follows the steps of our hero?
Thank you for your game.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

And if I may ask why is it that most 3D games always have 2D cursors, that always seems like a waste, I've like more interesting looking cursors if its possible, something 3D and animated perhapes?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #23

The game is point&click. Purely point&click. Cameras only move when we want them to move
www.postudios.com
Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #24

What I loved about the demo was that it really felt like a KQ game. The dialogue and the humor, the whole tone of the game seemed just right! I felt like I was a kid again playing KQVI for the first time. :-D The royal castle in the Green Isles was always my favorite place so it was quite exciting to be there again.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 PM   #25
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Yea. Great character and environmental design. Can't wait to play the full version!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #26

I just played the demo and wanted to share that I thought it was great too. I noticed the same things eriq mentioned but so much of it seemed like things that would easily be fixed (and sounds like they already have been) that I wasn't too worried about the overall quality of the final production. It was a LOT of fun and definitely captured the spirit of the original games but with very impressive graphics and character designs. I also really enjoyed how the credits were displayed as you made your way through the castle... it reminded me a lot of "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" where you play your way through the opening credits.

Overall I'm very happy with the look and feel of the game so far and hope the sound issues get solved (it is possible to have the audio quickly fade out when you skip it rather than have it sound like it's been chopped and produce a strange sharp clipping effect? Maybe this is related to the .ogg files as well) and the floating Graham (his legs were moving too slow while his body was moving too fast) is fixed for the later versions. I'm definitely going to be playing it the day it's released and all the time I've spent following this game has been worth it thus far! .

EDIT: I almost forgot, but I had some trouble getting Graham to leave certain frames. In particular, I couldn't get Graham to go back to the fork in the road from the Pawn shop for the longest time. Everytime I clicked for him to walk that way, he just stood there and did nothing. I tried a lot of different angles and but it just seemed to want to go back to the other screen. I had a similiar experience trying to leave the area in front of King Graham's room down into the ground level below. It just didn't want to listen to me .

EDIT 2: The problem I mentioned is actually the exact same problem eriq had here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
edit (addition to post): game stopping bug. I cannot exit the town screen (pawn shop).. walked back in from ship screen and the game "zoomed in" to a closeup of the pawn shop which I had to zoom out from using the WASD keys... Graham is stuck in the scene and I can't make him exit the scene. The game seems stuck.
I didn't see that till now, but right down to getting stuck in the zoomed in scene off the left of the pawnshop.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #27
Rogue Agent

Hmm, box art...... We wouldn't be planning a commercial release would we? Also, how much say does VU have in this? The fact that the release date might change due to what they want disturbs me.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #28

Just to let eveyone know, I've now uploaded RC1 Patch v.1.0 to our Trilogy page, which fixes many of the major and minor bugs that were reported in the past 3 days, as well as overall improvement on smoothness, and a few new added things. Be sure to test it out and let us know what you think.
http://www.tsl-game.com
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #29
hello

just finished the demo. Wow, great work guys! best fan project i have ever seen by a long shot. Cant wait for the first chapter to be released

i did encounter one major bug. i was unable to exit the palace in 1280 x 720 resolution, i changed it down to 1024 768 and could exit fine.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurous One
Hmm, box art...... We wouldn't be planning a commercial release would we? Also, how much say does VU have in this? The fact that the release date might change due to what they want disturbs me.
The box art was created by a fan of the project, and was the winner of a contest we had on the site. Vivendi has the final say on when the game is released, though it should be noted that so far they have not asked us to change anything except for the title.

Michael A. Bright
PR & Web Assistant
The Silver Lining Development Team
Phoenix Online Studios
www.tsl-game.com
[email protected]
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #31
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I installed the demo last night, and I was pleasantly surprised! The demo even kept me from playing WoW for a while and that's saying something

I loved the weather effects and the general look and feel of the game. Ok somethings had to be fixed but the demo was really impressive. I'm sure that this new KQ game will be well received by both Sierra and non-Sierra adventure fans

It was good the be back on the Isle of the Crown!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #32
OB

Good effort. It got stuck while on the map screen when I sailed to the first Isle, though. I had to Ctrl/Alt/Del my way out of it. The WASD camera movement is still there even after the patch but it's interesting to explore the environment to get a little behind the scenes info. out of it.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #33

the start looks REALLY impressive! and the voice acting is really good. however, thats how far i got, since the game is just toooo slow on my pc. it seems the realtime backgrounds are making it too slow. and was wondering why you guys didn't just pre-render backgrounds. there doesn't seem to be any real need for the real-time backgrounds?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #34

Hey everyone,

As I previously mentioned, I have released a patch last night which fixes many of what Bobske, Orange Brat and Mordalles have mentioned. Our site is dying from the amount of people hitting it, but I'm going to try to get us a VPS soon.

In the mean time, here are the current locations you can download the Patch v.1.0.1 at:

http://orangeloungeradio.com/phpnuke...download&cid=4
http://www.adventure-island.nl/downl...ch_v.1.0.1.zip
http://www.tsl-game.com/trilogy/inde...ch_v.1.0.1.exe

Last edited by Yonkey; 08-03-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #35
OB

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be any real need for the real-time backgrounds?
Because you can do a lot more with a realtime engine. True 2.5D is very limiting.

If you switch from OpenGL to DX while in the game, most of the textures disappear. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and in 32-bit mode at 1024x768.

EDIT: Correction...this happens even if you restart the game and it's in DXD mode.

Last edited by Orange Brat; 08-03-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
If you switch from OpenGL to DX while in the game, most of the textures disappear. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 and in 32-bit mode at 1024x768.
That's because we don't support DirectX in our game. If you notice the System Requirements, I've only listed OpenGL compatible.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM   #37
Explorer

I am running 1024 x 768, Athlon 750 Mhz, 384 megs RAM, Radeon 9600 XT AGP, DirectX 9.0c, Win 98SE, and I installed the patch.

All I get, when I try to load game, is a "KQ9 Error" window that says "Video card failed to initialize."

Oh, you don't support DirectX, how do I find out if my graphics card is OpenGL compatible?

I don't see a setup option at all before starting the game that would allow me to pick choices that might rectify this.

I am posting here hoping someone will help instead of posting at TSL because I don't want to register at yet ANOTHER forum. You've blocked viewing of the tech support forum so I can't even view it to see if someone else already answered my question for someone else without registering.

Last edited by Brandon; 08-03-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Because you can do a lot more with a realtime engine. True 2.5D is very limiting.

EDIT: Correction...this happens even if you restart the game and it's in DXD mode.
yeah, obviously i know you can do a lot more with realtime. but do THEY do a lot more with the realtime backgrounds? was it necessary for THEIR game. do they let you rotate the backgrounds anyway you like, or stuff like that? or do we see every background in their game from a certain angle, making realtime pointless, because it would have been the same pre-rendering it then. which could have lead to more polygons on the characters, and higher quality backgrounds. please read my posts more carefully if you are going to quote me.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
You've blocked viewing of the tech support forum so I can't even view it to see if someone else already answered my question for someone else without registering.
Hmmm viewing shouldn't be blocked... I'll look into this now.

EDIT: Thanks for letting me know! It's now fixed. =) I had no idea that Guest viewing was blocked before! I denied Guest posting, but Guest viewing was supposed to be enabled.

However, your video card should work. Are you using the most up to date video card drivers? The "Video card failed to initialize" means that the engine cannot detect either OpenGL or DirectX. Most people fix this by simply upgrading to the latest version.

Last edited by Yonkey; 08-03-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #40

Most of the camera work isn't in the demo.

ALthough you can't control the camera at will, in the gardens, when you pick up the cloak, and at the ending cutscene, there's camera stuff that we've used. The design of this game is planned to use camera cuts for a lot of the actions done, such as the conversations with Oberon/Titania. What I hate about 2.5 games are the static cameras. The Longest Journeys endless conversations would have been a lot more interesting if they had camera cuts.

Add to that the background animations (trees swaying in the breeze by the storm, the sky, etc, etc), real lighting affecting the character, particles effect, overall dynamism in-screen.

You could say we could have gone 2.5, but at the time we started working on this, it was real hard to do so, so, because this game is very plot driven, and creating the backgrounds for the game, allowed me, as a director, to create the cutscenes and place them however I wanted. 2.5 2D games, while certainly looking more polished than we, look way static. syberia is incredible beautiful, but atonishingly static. So, we compromised.
www.postudios.com