You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures The Silver Lining - Public Demo Released

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #41

Just to comment on the 3D stuff, while the Torque engine is fully capable of supporting full 3D environments, we have neither the budget nor staff available to create the high-quality artwork needed for The Silver Lining in full 3D.

Not to mention, Torque is designed more for tiled textures rather than the detailed ones we use in our game, however we have still adapted it to use 2.5D. If you can find a 3D adventure game engine capable of importing Maya files, and uses C++ style scripting for $100 or less, then be sure to let me know.
http://www.tsl-game.com
Old 08-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #42

thanks cesar, now i understand why you used real-time! which is perfectly fine with me. the game looks excellent. my previous post wasn't directed at you guys, but more an explanation to orange brat why i asked the question in the first place.

yonkey, are you talking to me? i have no idea what you mean. i thought the game was 3d and not 2.5d?
why not write your own engine?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordalles
yonkey, are you talking to me? i have no idea what you mean. i thought the game was 3d and not 2.5d?
why not write your own engine?
Nope, I was talking in general.

We attempted at making our own engine about 4 years ago I believe (prior to me being on the team), but the problem with that is you have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. It's much easier reusing someone else's point-and-click than developing it yourself. And trust me on this because we had to add point-and-click, walk implementation, dialogue system, inventory and more into this engine, since FPS games don't use them.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM   #44
Explorer

I have upgraded my video card drivers, but still no luck.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkey
Nope, I was talking in general.

We attempted at making our own engine about 4 years ago I believe (prior to me being on the team), but the problem with that is you have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. It's much easier reusing someone else's point-and-click than developing it yourself. And trust me on this because we had to add point-and-click, walk implementation, dialogue system, inventory and more into this engine, since FPS games don't use them.
oh. "easier" isn't always the best route. hehe.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
I have upgraded my video card drivers, but still no luck.
In that case, you'll have to go to Garage Games and ask them why their engine doesn't support your particular graphic card.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM   #47
hello

I mentioned this earlier - you cannot play the game using 1280 x 720, as is will not allow you to exit the caste at the beginning in the resolution.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the game supported it, but not so pleasantly suprised to see that the game didnt work correctly in that res. Just want to know if the final game will support that res?

Cheers
Old 08-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
I mentioned this earlier - you cannot play the game using 1280 x 720, as is will not allow you to exit the caste at the beginning in the resolution.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the game supported it, but not so pleasantly suprised to see that the game didnt work correctly in that res. Just want to know if the final game will support that res?

Cheers
It should. I think I know the reason why it doesn't work at that resolution. 1280x1024 is not proportional to 1024x768 and 800x600 (if it were, it would be 1280x960). Because it's not proportional, UI screens (including the one that captures your mouse click) will not automatically stretch to the same width and height on that particular resolution. While it is possible for me to add code to force it to a particular size, I do not consider this a serious defect that's worth all this effort.

Alternatively, the mouse-click capture UI screen may be fine, but the walk node might be a bit too low or inside that 64px blindspot (which is far too low to be placing a walk node IMO), so I might just change the position of the walk node instead, rather than messing around with resizing.

In any case, I would appreciate it if you could report this issue in our forum, because there are actually several other places where the walk node placements are a bit too annoying.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #49
LA-S-LE

That's strange.. The toolbar does not appear after I patched the game.. And it has nothing to do with resolution as far as I understand.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
That's strange.. The toolbar does not appear after I patched the game.. And it has nothing to do with resolution as far as I understand.
I think you have the outdated patch. I uploaded v.1.0.1. as soon as I found out that 1.0 still had that toolbar bug in it. Please download the latest patch and simply install it over your previous patch.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #51
OB

Quote:
yeah, obviously i know you can do a lot more with realtime. but do THEY do a lot more with the realtime backgrounds? was it necessary for THEIR game. do they let you rotate the backgrounds anyway you like, or stuff like that? or do we see every background in their game from a certain angle, making realtime pointless, because it would have been the same pre-rendering it then. which could have lead to more polygons on the characters, and higher quality backgrounds. please read my posts more carefully if you are going to quote me.
I did read it carefully, and it's not pointless. As has already been stated, the camera movement during cutscenes would not be possible without a realtime engine. Prerendered movies could take their place, but then you're taken out of the game world. Realtime allows you to play with the camera during cutscenes and eliminates static. You also get a lot more flexibility and features with particles and other realtime goodies that are easier to manipulate in realtime. It probably wouldn't hurt if the developers would throw in an occasional camera swoop from one section of a level to another during actual gameplay like Broken Sword 3 or Eternal Darkness, though. It would add a bit of pazzazz.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurous One
Hmm, box art...... We wouldn't be planning a commercial release would we? Also, how much say does VU have in this? The fact that the release date might change due to what they want disturbs me.
While TribeHasSpoken answered this earlier, I should probably go into a bit more detail. We recently had a contest where anyone was able to submit whatever they liked in whatever media format they wished. We had some really excellent and creative entries, but this DVD cover was so professional that Say and I agreed, it literally was a cut above the rest. The fact that you mistook the entry as official, only proves what I'm saying.

If we were permitted to go commercial, we would not even consider this fan entry, as all official work product on this game is performed by our development team, Phoenix Online Studios. If you would like to see a sample of what would go on our box art if we were able to distribute this game physically, you can see the Shadows poster on the Trilogy page. That was designed by several sketch artists, 2D colourists, retouched by Cesar and final design layout by myself.

The poster was actually designed a year or two ago, and elements from it were used in the teaser released in May 2005 which announced our pre-VU "winter" release date. Obviously we weren't planning on VU to C&D us and cut into development time, but I'm certain most of our fans appreciate the journey beginning "this summer", as opposed to never.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #53

orange brat. exactly, i was just asking if they had any use for the real-time backgrounds, and they do, so im satisfied. i said it would be pointless IF they didn't do anything with the real-time bgs. but they do. get it.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #54

Quote:
orange brat. exactly, i was just asking if they had any use for the real-time backgrounds, and they do, so im satisfied. i said it would be pointless IF they didn't do anything with the real-time bgs. but they do. get it.
Of course there will be use of real-time bg's ("dynamic cameras" is the term that our team uses) during various sequences. When you pick up the cloak in the IoC Garden, you can get a small taste of what this engine is capable of in terms of camera swoops. However, since not all scenes are compeltely encapsulating the camera, there are limits to how much camera movement we can do.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #55
Rogue Agent

Yonkey: Hmm, I'll take a look at the official poster. Judging from the earlier art I've seen, it'll be good.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #56
MI-TLY

Send a message via MSN to storyteller

Quote:
If you can find a 3D adventure game engine capable of importing Maya files, and uses C++ style scripting for $100 or less, then be sure to let me know.
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

Quote:
The Irrlicht Engine is a cross-platform high performance realtime 3D engine written in C++. It is a powerful high level API for creating complete 3D and 2D applications like games or scientific visualizations. It comes with an excellent documentation and integrates all the state-of-the-art features for visual representation like dynamic shadows, particle systems, character animation, indoor and outdoor technology, and collision detection. All this is accessible through a well designed C++ interface, which is extremely easy to use.
in case you're interested. Just came across it by chance a few months ago.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #57

Whoa! I don't think we've seen that one before! It's definitely one I'll consider for Parts 2 and 3, and possibly future commercial games we develop if they have allow such a license.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just read their license and they allow both non- and commercial use too!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #58

How do you finish the demo by the way?
Spoiler:
I didn't find anything to do after paying the ferryman
Old 08-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #59
MI-TLY

Send a message via MSN to storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
How do you finish the demo by the way?
Spoiler:
just talk to him again, he'll agree to lend you his ship

Quote:
Thanks again!
sure, no prob.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #60
LA-S-LE

Yonkey
Quote:
I think you have the outdated patch. I uploaded v.1.0.1. as soon as I found out that 1.0 still had that toolbar bug in it. Please download the latest patch and simply install it over your previous patch.
Oh, thanks, didn't notice it