You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures The Silver Lining - Public Demo Released

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #61

I have the patch and the game is running way too fast. Does it have some problem with hyperthreading?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceadventure
I have the patch and the game is running way too fast. Does it have some problem with hyperthreading?
Interesting... Our Project Director is experiencing the same problem, and I never associated it with thread management before... Could you fill out a report on our forum, indicating your system configuration, any memory resident programs running, what scene you were on and what you were doing when it happened, and attach your console.log file in your post as well.

Thanks!
http://www.tsl-game.com
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #63

Patch v.2.0 for The Silver Lining demo has now been released and can be downloaded from http://www.tsl-game.com/trilogy

The following is a summary of what each patch has fixed so far. Please note that each patch includes all fixes from previous versions:

Patch v.2.0
- updated About box
- added dynamic loading for Graham's Bedroom, resulting in smoother and less choppy gameplay in Main Hall
- fixed mispelling of Hassan's voice actor
- fixed pouch from not disappearing from inventory
- fixed grammar in one of the Narrator error messages
- removed Direct3D from display options
- fixed dialogue for Bookshop regarding non-existant note on door
- fixed Hassan's scurvy conversation logic
- added Yes/No messagebox when Hassan asks "Ready to sail?"
- removed zoom and rotate from Ferry
- fixed Map to use pointer cursor instead of walk
- fixed fadeout to stay black for longer during scene transitions
- added missing Hassan dialogue
- fixed grammar in Hassan conversation
- fixed vague cloak Narrator error dialogue

Patch v.1.0.1
- fixed toolbar from not showing up in Patch v.1.0

Patch v.1.0
- added ability to go west from Village Main
- added animated scene objects in Docks, Village Main, and Garden
- fixed mispelling of the word "stranger" in intro text
- removed many output errors, resulting much smoother and less choppy gameplay
- fixed and added new Narrator error messages
- removed camera key bindings
- fixed "floating" Graham caused by excess walk speed
- fixed Graham from journeying infinitely more, rather than just once
- removed dialogue for Bookshop regarding non-existant note on door
- fixed bug where Graham would infinitely spin like a Tazmanian devil
- fixed text in exit game confirmation
- added exit confirmation to Quit button in options menu
- updated About and Mission info to include Patch info
- fixed right-click cycle to go from most common to least: Walk-Eye-Hand-Talk-Item
- fixed toolbar to go from most common to least: Walk-Eye-Hand-Talk
- fixed minor errors on Skip Intro dialogue box
- fixed minor error on PR Credits
Old 08-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #64

Did anyone hate Cedric, Graham's owl companion from King's Quest 5, as much as I did? If so, I've created a little mod for the demo that should make you happy. Check it out at http://www.tsl-game.com/forum/index.php?topic=5032.0

Please note that this mod is in no way sanctioned by either Phoenix Online Studios or Vivendi Games. It's just me having a little bit of fun.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #65

In response to comments we've had, our programming director Petter Holmberg recently said this in our forums about differences between the demo and full versions:

Quote:
Character movement: This is a matter of adjusting animations and character movement speeds. We'll take care of this in the final version and make at least the main characters as near perfect as possible. This also includes stair climbing etc.

Lipsynch: There's no actual lipsynch in the demo. Just a generic lip animation. The final game will have accurate lipsynch. We're developing the system for it and it's coming along really nicely.

Character loads: This is also going to be fixed in the full game.

Clipping: We'll do our best to match animations and positions to avoid visible clipping, but as I'm sure you've noticed from playing other games this is really tricky to avoid completely.

Textures: Our original textures are high-res but in order to improve framerate we convert some to a lower resolution when the high detail level is not required. Scenes will be optimized for a good compromize between looks and playability later, so you can look forward to improvements.

Effects: That's also something that will be added to the degree that we have time and resources. It's a question of priority. But you are right, those things are important to the feel of the game.

Camera movement: That's the director's call. But we'll have a pretty cool camera system in the final game allowing various camera modes similar to what you see used in movies, and they will be used when appropriate.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #66
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I'm curious.. after finally (and after much difficulty!!) getting through the full demo... why did the Silver Lining team decide to release such a mediocre sample of the game after all the fuss and press made up till now? I'm sure everyone had high hopes for the game but after this stinky demo ... will your team be releasing something that's more exciting? more fun? because this demo wasn't very stable.. nor fun.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:22 AM   #67

This demo is an abridged version of the demo that we put together in three weeks last November to present to Vivendi. We figured that releasing this demo would be the best way to give you an idea of what we're aiming for without eating into valuable development time. We've released patches to remove most of the critical and non-critical bugs in the demo, and have a new patch on the way.

As for your complaint about "fun", we cut anything out that was deemed to be too much of a spoiler for the final game. Like I said, this was meant to be a sample of our work as opposed to a firm idea of what to expect in the final game. There's the possibility of a second demo to be released in Q4 2006, but I don't know yet if it will be another old demo or if it will actually be a portion of the final game.

Rest assured that the final game will be as stable, and fun, as we can possibly make it before it's released.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #68
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Rest assured that the final game will be as stable, and fun, as we can possibly make it before it's released.
Personally, I can't wait for the first full episode. What you've managed to accomplish here is astounding to me. Keep up the great work! It really is an exciting time to be an adventure gamer.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #69
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

I am always supportive of amateur and fan development teams. I'm just curious why such a talented group decided to release a demo that really isn't a good indication of what the final product will be like. You've stated that you're anticipating another demo release but that you're not sure, again, if even that will be another "old" demo versus something illustrating actual gameplay again. Like many other fans of your project, I'm super excited about your game (just search the threads and see), but these "technical demos" really leave a bad impression. Furthermore, even after I've patched the demo, it's still not that exciting.

My advice, show us the real thing. Why not release something that will get us all excited instead of a technology demo that we have to patch - multiple times in order for us to experience something that's not a real demo of the final product?

My original posts still stand. The game has excellent character and environmental art - I can't wait to see the other locations. Because this first area is "stormy", the colours aren't as vibrant as some of your screenshots.

Last edited by eriq; 09-09-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #70

Just Adventure+ has just posted a new and insightful interview with designer/director César Bittar, PR director Saydmell Salazar and assistant PR director Neil Rodrigues

http://justadventure.com/Interviews/...g/TSLTeam.shtm
Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #71

An update on my earlier comments on the possibility of another demo. Project Director César Bittar has announced on our forums that there will be no second demo as all resources being put into completing the final game.