You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert
Default Shivah DELUXE now available

Ready for your purchase is brand new spiffy version of The Shivah.

For only $5 you receive the following new features:

Brand new character sprites and animations
Shane Stevens, creator of "Mind's Eye" and "Dance Till You Drop", has totally revamped the cast of the game with a brand new look and many new animations. The number of animations in the game is just about doubled, thanks to Mr. Steven's efforts.

Example of a previous Shivah animation:

That same animation, sexified for the new version:

A full voicetrack
Being from New York City, I am very lucky to have access to a large number of professional actors who were more than willing to extend their talents toward voicing this game. It was a blast working with them, and they really breathed extra life into these characters. The results are fantastic.

A remixed soundtrack
Mr. Peter Gesser of Arizona lent his studio, his composing abilities, and his violin to creating a delightful jewish/jazzy/noir hybrid that will make your ears go "woah."

Extra puzzles and extended storyline
Some stuff didn't make it into the final cut of the game due to the short deadline, but that's all changed now. Enjoy the game anew as you struggle through some additional puzzles that reveal more of the backstory.

DVD style audio commentary
For the first time, you have the option to allow ME to pop up on your screen to discuss (at length) the game, the ideas behind it, the trials and tribulations of development, and more.

Blooper reel!
Yes, the cast made several goofs. As a bonus feature, you can listen to them and laugh at them.

For more details, check out this link: http://www.davelgil.com/wordpress/?page_id=128

Or just click HERE to buy the game.

Hm. Does this game count as "underground" anymore if it's being sold?

-Dave
Old 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Grah! Grah!

I didn't get a chance to play very far into the free version, but what I did play seemed excellent, as do the voice samples on your blog so I'll be checking this out as soon as I get an opportunity. Is it really necessary to list my full address and so on to order?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Hi... junkface?

Don't worry about all the personal details. You can enter something fake if you are the paranoid sort. Just make sure your email address is correct.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #4

Default Bug? + stuck

Hi, first post here :-)

In the beginning I want to say that I bought this game via Manifesto Games and, as an adventure gaming freak, find it OMBWTFBBQ awesome... up to now.

First, an issue which might be a small bug, and might as well be the cause of my being stuck.

So: Rabbi Stone knows about the "EG" character and who he is, his full surname, his place of work and what happened to him. I have a clue with his surname. I have talked about it with JL's wife. BUT... when I use the computer and make a search, I find the note about EG and the pub, but a message "I got a result on EG but I have no idea who he is! I probably shouldn't be wasting time like that!" appears. In short: Rabbi tells me he doesn't know who EG is, although he does, as evidenced by the clues I have. And I already did the search before, no weird message appeared and I found out about the location of the pub.
(I have a savegame with this.)

And second: I'm stuck in Paddy's pub. I've talked to Rabbi Zelig, he's already thrown me out and gave me his card. I'm pretty sure I did all combinatorically possible clicks on my clues. But, try as I might, I can't get JDM to do anything. I reach the pub, I find a dude calling himself JDM, I can ask him about Ethan, Jack, Joe, small talk and religion, and that's all. I can't move forward. Could someone give me a helping hand here? I searched this forum but I think the spoilers in this thread are not for someone in a situation similar to mine.
BTW, he tells me "what's jewish", but the "Is Joe Jewish"? clue doesn't update at all...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I was stuck in the same place, Elwro:

Spoiler:
Apparently the solution is to log in to Stone's computer using Zelig's username (you'll get a hint as to his password if you know the username).
Old 09-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #6

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:02 AM   #7

Hi Elwro,

Don't check these forums too often, but AGA came to the rescue! Many people get stuck in the same place, usually because they either have played the freeware version and think the deluxe version is bugged, or they use a walkthrough that was made for the freeware version... and also think the game is bugged!

Anyway, I am happy you are enjoying the game. I'm not entirely sure what "OMBWTFBBQ" means, but I assume it's a good thing.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #8

Yes, it's a good thing.

It's a trivial matter, but I still think that the Rabbi telling me "I don't know who Ethan Goldberg is, I just typed the words randomly like a loonie" after doing the "Ethan Goldberg" search on the computer while he does know it (and already knows the location of the bar due to a previous search; he also has the "Goldberg" clue) is, if not a bug, an undocumented feature of sorts .

In unrelated news, I like the voice acting a lot, among other things.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #9
Game Creator Hobbyist

Congratulations.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #10

Fantastic! Great to hear about the success.

Although they say that "Over the past few weeks, Gilbert has been talking with Manifesto Games, which has expressed interest in distributing the game. It should be available though them in the coming days or weeks.", while the game has already been available from Manifesto for a few weeks.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #11

Trumgottist: Thanks! :-D

Elwro: I thought the same thing. The event actually took place in mid-august, and the interview took place the next day. For some reason, the article took over a month to get online, so it's a tad out of date.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I bought and played the game today. Only took two hours, but it was a lot of fun. The overall game is impressive for an indie project. I will add it to my list of highly recommended indie adventures. EDIT: Just added it to the newest update on my union homepage.

I read there are three different endings for Shivah Deluxe, so I will have to go back and try to get the rest. Also, I'll be sure to check out the commentary and bloopers.

Last edited by Legolas813; 10-06-2006 at 07:37 PM.