You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 1st adventure game you played

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #61
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTURE-RAIDER
You learn something new every day! If you tell me what do you think Monkey Island is, maybe I'll learn something today, too.
Um, is it like an adventure game? Or more platform like Sonic?

Katie.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:54 AM   #62

My first adventure was Space Quest IV; I didn´t know that i could play the game with the mouse (I use the keyboard) and the Save function... I started the game from the beginning each time those days
Old 09-02-2004, 03:48 AM   #63

I sat next to a friend of mine while he went through Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, but i wasn't the one playing (not helping much either :p).

First game i played on my own was KQ4 or Monkey Island I, think i bought them at the same time so can't remember which one was first.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 PM   #64

<delurk>
Been lurking on this forum for ages, but this thread finally made me come out of hiding.

My first adventure game was Zork II on the C64, many many moons ago, but I never finished it, due to the less than ideal circumstances I was playing it under back then. As a teenager with hardly any money, I didn't actually own a computer at the time. But being somewhat game-obsessed, some afternoons after school I'd ride to the local shopping mall and check out K-Mart's home electronics department, as they usually had a C64 and a Vic-20 set up, along with the ever-present Atari VCS. Normally the computers would just be running BASIC, but occasionally there would be a game running on one or the other of them, which I'd play rather than blowing whatever small amount of money I had on the Defender machine elsewhere in the mall.

But one magic afternoon, all that changed. The C64 had sprouted a 1541 disk drive, safely locked away in a clear perspex case underneath the monitor where no-one could touch it, but one of the shop staff had loaded a game that looked at first glance like a page full of writing...

It was Zork II, and I was immediately hooked. I began to visit the shop every day religiously, just to explore that amazing world. Because I had no access to the disk drive, there was no way to save my game, so to progress I had to restart from the beginning every day, retrace my steps from memory, then continue from there... Even now I'm sure I could play through the first third or so of the game from memory!

Sadly, one day the C64 was no longer running the game, and that was the end of that. It was probably a good two years later before I actually had a C64 myself (after a brief period of ZX Spectrum ownership, where the first adventure I actually owned and finished was 'The Hobbit'), but the adventure game bug had well and truly bitten by then, and although for some reason I never got Zork II for it (I don't remember it being in the shops) I did have Zork I and The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, both of which took me literally years to complete, in that pre-internet/pre-walkthrough era.

Okay, that's enough from me for a first post. Subsequent ones hopefully won't be quite so long and boring!

Cheers,
Scrybe

PS First graphic adventure was Labyrinth, on the C64 as well. I really must finish that one of these days...
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #65

I may set a record, but I'd have to go back to the early 1980s with a game called ENCHANTER. That was before all those fancy things they added to computers, you know, like graphics.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #66

I think it was Myst,,, not for me..
Old 02-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #67
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

The Secret of Monkey Island, although I didn't know that it was called that, when I first played it (noticed it when replaying it years later).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #68

My first adventure type game was Asylum, for the C64! Text based with simple graphics. I never did get through it. All I remember is that whenever you looked up, a piano would fall on your head.

The original release of Maniac Mansion is the first reaal graphic adventure, and it changed my gaming style forever!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #69

king's quest 6

it was the adventure of my life.
took me a good 3 years to beat though... mom wouldn't let me call those 1-900 numbers.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 PM   #70

Day of the Tentacle was the first one I played.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidrains
king's quest 6

it was the adventure of my life.
took me a good 3 years to beat though... mom wouldn't let me call those 1-900 numbers.
That game was so insanely hard. I am obsessive compulsive and it would drive me nuts because I absolutely had to look at the walkthrough that came with it about 5 times. The game was a masterpiece.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #72

Besides several adventure like games on Commodore 64, my first real adventure game was Phantasmagoria. The funny thing was, I`d seen a tiny thumbnail of the cover in a magazine, and the picture looked like a classical ghost! (it was really small) When I got the game, I realised the picture was a woman with a dress and her arms stretched out. But when I finnally played it, the whole game was full of ghost after all!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKing
I may set a record, but I'd have to go back to the early 1980s with a game called ENCHANTER. That was before all those fancy things they added to computers, you know, like graphics.
Well, the guy above you mentioned Zork II... which came before Enchanter if I'm not mistaken.

Though I guess I can beat you both with Zork I. I'm not sure whether I can actually say I played it, because I was really happy when I found the troll who is like the first puzzle in the game, and I was unable to get farther in the game for several years... but still.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #74
Banned User

Zac Mac Kracken in mid 80's
Old 02-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #75
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I got my first computer in 1986, and soon afte got Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I didn't get very far in this, and never knew there was a book this was based on. I really had no clue.

My first real adventure didn't come till 2001, with Beyond Atlantis, which I was in awe of, but still had no clue how to play. My roommate sat with me for about 5 hours one night and played it with me, and about 3 hours another night. It took me over a month, but I finally finished it. My roommate got me and LSL game and Eric the Unready, but I wasn't too thrilled with either, Then he got me TLJ, and the rest is history.

FGM
Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #76

Mine was Phantasmagoria 8-)
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #77

My first game was Wishbringer on the Atari 2600. My parents bought it in 1985, when it first came out. As mentioned in another thread, I was only a few months old, so I would be put in a baby carrier next to the computer while they played. Even if you don't count it as playing until I could contribute, it was played on and off until I was at least six years old and I could start to pick out words, when our Atari released the magic smoke.

I don't know that we ever finished it though. I wonder how it ends?

Last edited by Dragonrose; 02-12-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #78

Ship of Doom (a.k.a. Adventure C) on the ZX Spectrum (publshed circa 1982). I also had Inca Curse (a.k.a. Adventure B) but it wouldn't load from the cassette.

A national newspaper called for The Ship of Doom to be banned because you could kill a girl and have sex with an android (in the "Android Pleasure Room"). The walkthrough reads something like:
Quote:
(a warm breeze melts the ice, from which a girl and a hidden door appear) "Kill Girl" (not required but she may later strangle you.)
I'm not sure if I'm aloud to post this here, but here goes-- in the Android Pleasure Room (with the android) the text parser would respond to the following terms:
Spoiler:
f**k, screw, shag, fr*g, lay, r*pe,
You could also use the term "pay android" to get some kind of response although I don't know what that response is.

I was five or six when I played it and I don't think I got very far into the game, but I somehow seem to remember the line "the android moans and blows a fuse"

Around the same time I bought "the Hobbit", which I enjoyed a lot.

There's a Java "the Hobbit" emulator Here
...and the solution Here

Here's another interesting applet (although I played this for the first time reletively recently):

Adventure (a.k.a. Colossal Cave)
...and...
Colossal Cave Solution

...as far as I know it was the very first adventure-game, and the inspiration for Zork. It begins: "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully."

The next adventure I remember playing was Mafia Contract (which I remember as being a really excellent game):

The next adventure after that was Kings Quest: Quest for the Crown on the first desktop P.C. I ever used.

After that was Mortville Manor

The first Lucas Arts adventure I ever played was Indiana Jones and the Search for Atlantis around the time of its release. I'm ashamed to say I've never played a Monkey Island game, but having read a lot of the threads on this site I'm going to buy a copy of MI1 to see what I've been missing.

Since I've returned to gaming (after a long break), the first adventure I played was Myst which I absolutely loved. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to track down other first-person adventure games of the same quality, but to no avail-- when it comes to first-person adventures the Myst series is in a class of it's own (but then that's just my opinion).

Last edited by Sleepy; 02-14-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:23 PM   #79
Iconoclast

Ultima (1981)

Oh, wait. Do you mean adventure game or ADVENTURE game?

It gets confusing around here sometimes...

Zork (1982)
Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #80
merely human

LOL!!

Hey Bastich! How's the violin lesson going? My niece may be able to coach you if you need help, she's 11 and on Book 2 learning the Suzuki method.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien