You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Burnout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #1

Default Adventure Game Burnout

I think I've been playing too many adventure games lately so I've decided to take a rest and play a war game instead. Does this happen to anyone else?

I did, however, just purchase Sam and Max season one because I heard that is a really good game, but I think I'll wait to play it until I've finished my war game.

I don't know if it was just too much playing that caused my burnout or the fact that I really haven't liked the last games I played. Here are my ratings for the recent ones I played.

Dracula Orgins: 4/5
Innata Culpa: 2/5
The Experiment: 2/5 (while different and innovative, just wasn't my cup of tea)
Journey to the center of the earth: 2.5/5 (I honestly have no idea how this one got 4 stars on the reviews here. I'd perhaps give it 3 at most, and I still haven't finished it... so maybe...)

But yeah... BURNOUT!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #2

Oh my god....this is the first time I noticed that "journey to the center..." got 4 stars! That's unbelievable... that game was mediocre at best. It's a rare occasion that I disagree that much with an adventure gamer's review, the only other one I can think of right now was samorost 2.

Anyway, yeah I also don't play exclusively adventure games although they're definitely my favorite genre. I'm a big fan of pro evolution soccer and I'm eagerly awaiting the new one which comes out in a month.
I've played some FPS in the past (mostly because of the nice graphics) but the only one I really enjoyed were half-life 2 and episode 1 and 2 and call of duty 2 and 4. Before playing half life2 the idea I would play a FPS without cheats (god mode) and actually enjoy it was absurd. It was a shock for me that I liked it that much.
And let's not forget Portal, one of the best game I've ever played. Although It's more of a puzzle/adventure game than anything else...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
Dracula Orgins: 4/5
Innata Culpa: 2/5
The Experiment: 2/5 (while different and innovative, just wasn't my cup of tea)
Journey to the center of the earth: 2.5/5 (I honestly have no idea how this one got 4 stars on the reviews here.
I haven't played Journey to the Center of the Earth, but the 4/5 of Dracula: Origin (at best, 2/5 in my opinion) shocked me!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I haven't played Journey to the Center of the Earth, but the 4/5 of Dracula: Origin (at best, 2/5 in my opinion) shocked me!
4/5 for dracula origin is a bit much, I agree. Personally I'd give it about 3/5. But I can see why would someone find dracula appealing ....JTCOTE on the other hand....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #5

I enjoyed playing Dracula Origin. It wasn't anything fancy or innovative, but "fancy and innovative" rarely makes me enjoy a game anyway. So 4/5 is about what I'd give it.

I played Journey to the Center of the Earth years ago. Although I liked the colorful gameworld, I didn't care for the main character and the game was buggy. At one point the character got stuck in a cabinet, and then disappeared when I tried to go to the next screen. There was another point in the game where everything moved very slowly. And you couldn't tell what you what inventory was before you clicked it. So 2.5/5 is close to what I'd give that.

I'd give Culpa better than 2/5 though.

I haven't played The Experiment and don't plan to.

I've got a sort of burnout going on now. I started Outcry and quickly started getting motion sickness from the screen moving around unpredictably. I've heard you can turn off this effect, but the screens looked so dismal that I haven't felt like going back into it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
I suppose if you're more of a story centered person, 4/5 would seem a bit much. But I really enjoyed playing that game from start to end. I liked solving the puzzles which were a very big part of the game, and thanks to the space bar there was no pixel hunting! More games should definitely have that feature put in. I'm not a fan of those crazy pixel hunts. Grapics were also very good.

JTHCOTE has interesting scenes, some nice puzzles but the game has too many technical problems and the characters are as flat and lame as ever. Also, it has some crazy pixel hunts. One part of the game that comes to mind is finding the path into the cave where there is a crystal you have to get. The hotspot to get to the cave didn't even seem practical, I had to look at a walkthrough to know where it was.

Quote:
I'd give Culpa better than 2/5 though
I can't give it more than 2 because I wasn't even able to finish it, I got bored out of my mind. The futuristic orwellian-type setting kept me going for a while, but eventually I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #7

I can relate, Puzzler. I had a sort of unfortunate trifecta of adventuring which included Culpa Innata, Jack Keane and Murder on the Orient Express, all of which let me down. Then I played The Lost Crown, which I liked quite a bit and brought me back up, but when it was done I felt like trying something different. I had never played a RPG, though I've been intrigued, so I got Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion and have had a great time with it. I've certainly got my gameplay money's worth from that title. I don't think it's too farfetched to get into such a game, though I am itching for a good adventure, so I've got my sights on A Vampyre Story in the meantime.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
(On Culpa Innata
I can't give it more than 2 because I wasn't even able to finish it, I got bored out of my mind. The futuristic orwellian-type setting kept me going for a while, but eventually I couldn't take it anymore.
I can't agree more. 2 out of 5 is the best I can give to Culpa Innata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Then I played The Lost Crown, which I liked quite a bit and brought me back up, but when it was done I felt like trying something different.
I think that's the first time we don't agree on a game's evaluation, Kazmajik: I installed The Lost Crown, played it for two hours and then uninstalled it. Maybe it's because I haven't played Dark Fall 1 & 2. Do you recommend me these titles?

Quote:
I had never played a RPG, though I've been intrigued, so I got Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion and have had a great time with it. I've certainly got my gameplay money's worth from that title.
I played it for more than a hundred hours and I'm not yet satisfied: Oblivion is really a game I could play forever.

Adventure-wise, one of the last games I really enjoyed is Dracula: The Path of the Dragon, very nice indeed! Even if we are far away from classical, masterpiece status, the game is well done and atmospheric, with a good storyline and a likable character (a pity that there were too much stand-alone puzzles, for my personal taste).
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #9

No, I don't think I've experienced that. It seems like there are never enough adventure games out there for me.

However, there was a period of time some years ago, when adventure games didn't dominate my playing time. I would play mostly simulation games then, with some adventure games thrown in. Now simulation games totally bore me, and I will only play them if I have nothing else to do.

Occasionally I'll play an action or strategy game, but I suck at both without codes. Then of course there's Oblivion, which I start up every once in a while just to go exploring, and try to find new things to do.

Other than that, adventure is my genre now.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83
I think that's the first time we don't agree on a game's evaluation, Kazmajik: I installed The Lost Crown, played it for two hours and then uninstalled it. Maybe it's because I haven't played Dark Fall 1 & 2. Do you recommend me these titles?
I like The Lost Crown a lot more than the Dark Fall games. I recommend that you give it another try sometime, because although it starts out a bit slow, once the game opens up in terms of places you can go, it really gets interesting. I didn't especially like how it restricted where you could go, though I suppose it makes sense. Another problem I had with the game, and this is something the Dark Fall games had as well, is that the hot spots are way too big, so that when you think you're clicking on one thing, you're actually clicking on something else. But overall I have to say that the game was pretty good and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
I think I've been playing too many adventure games lately so I've decided to take a rest and play a war game instead. Does this happen to anyone else?
I'm certainly burned out on bad demos. As well as burned out on bad games bought without an available demo.

I'm waiting to be revived by a Still Life 2, or somesuch.

I'm sure there are people who will play a game just because it's there. I'd rather throw a carry bag over my shoulder and hit the links than waste my time on a bad game.

And there is absolutely nothing out there that would make me want to stay home.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 AM   #12

Quote:
I like The Lost Crown a lot more than the Dark Fall games. I recommend that you give it another try sometime, because although it starts out a bit slow, once the game opens up in terms of places you can go, it really gets interesting.
Maybe I try to play Dark Fall 1 & 2 first and the I'll give another try to The Lost Crown: I reckon that the games are connected, and I don't feel to play the third part of a story, without knowing anything about the previous ones.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #13

FWIW I also played lost crown for a couple of hours and although I haven't uninstalled it yet I don't really feel like continuing playing. I will give it one last chance eventually. I've played and finished both darkfall games btw.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #14

Sure, give Dark Fall 1 a try. You can tell that it and Lost Crown are made by the same person. I don't think they are exactly part of a continuing story, however. In other words, you don't need to have played either Dark Fall to play Lost Crown. Someone correct me if I don't have that right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83
I played it for more than a hundred hours and I'm not yet satisfied: Oblivion is really a game I could play forever.
I know exactly what you mean. I got it about two months ago, and that's about all I've been playing. I think a lot of people who're into adventure games but have never played an RPG would like it. I'm up to level 29 and I'm still surprised by new places I'm discovering.

In this vein, I have my eye on Mass Effect. But first I want to give Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon a chance. I ordered a copy yesterday, and should be playing it in a couple of days.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #15

3 games in a row caused me to play a war game too. First it was Experience (the game was interesting but it was so tedoius to move around I resigned) and than Jack Keane and So Blonde.

But then I recovered with the help of a war game too. Just bad luck that such bad games were available one after another, it is understandable to feel exhausted
Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I installed The Lost Crown, played it for two hours and then uninstalled it. Maybe it's because I haven't played Dark Fall 1 & 2. Do you recommend me these titles?
Quote:
I recommend that you give it another try sometime, because although it starts out a bit slow, once the game opens up in terms of places you can go, it really gets interesting.
Andrea, you really should give The Lost Crown another chance. Just like Kazmajik says it gets better after the slow start. I was disappointed at first, but once the game picked up I enjoyed it immensely.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #17

OK, I'm convinced!

After Dark Fall, I'll surely give The Lost Crown another chance!