You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 1st adventure game you played

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Ditto, same game, roughly the same age, a *copy*, but it was my mother who brought it back, and neither of my parents minded especially
Holy crap, I wasn't going to admit it, but I think mine was a copy too. There must have been underground LSL copying groups or something
Old 08-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #22

My first real effort in playing an adventure game would be Murder on the Misissippi on the C64. I didn't get very far, but I was still in my learning years.

Then I got an amiga about a year later, and I played Operation Stealth and The Secret of Monkey Island, but the absolutely first one that I played and loved was Leisure Suit Larry. I repeatedly loaded the game because I couldn't get past the questions. I didn't know about the skip-cheat.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #23
merely human

Zork, on my brother's IBM back in the early 80s.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-22-2004, 11:49 AM   #24
Under pressure.

Kings Quest 3. I didn't like it, so I didn't play any adventures until I stumbled upon Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Sam and Max was the first game I finished, because I was finally able to understand more than 50% of the English dialogue

--Erwin
Old 08-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #25

The first King's Quest game, when I was six. I didn't even know English back then, so I'd sit in front of the computer with a dictionary.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #26

Mine was Shivers
Old 08-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #27
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Indiana Jones - and the fate of atlantis demo for mac (i think) that was on my step fathers computer around 95 or something...
Old 08-22-2004, 07:26 PM   #28

Space Quest III. I think it was in 1993.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:29 AM   #29
No justice. Only me.

First game I ever played: Beta of Secret of Monkey Island at a friend's house. (You couldn't save!)

First game I ever completed: Myst with my dad.

First game I ever completed by myself: Inherit the Earth
Old 08-23-2004, 07:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Holy crap, I wasn't going to admit it, but I think mine was a copy too. There must have been underground LSL copying groups or something
My first adventure game is also LSL 1. I must have missed out on the underground copy group, my copy was legit.

Man, I was so young , naive , and stupid, I remember thiking if I had 94 bucks in my pocket I could get any woman I wanted. I was also dead broke so 94 bucks seemed like a mountain of money.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #31

My first adventure was Maniac Mansion. I think. Or maybe Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. They both felt incredible at the time...
Old 08-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #32
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Monkey Island 2, which came free with my first Soundblaster card. I forced my parents to buy The Secret of Monkey Island...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Kings Quest 3. I didn't like it, so I didn't play any adventures until I stumbled upon Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
I didn't like it either. I kept running into things, getting stuck on walls and staircases and dying. I didn't finish it. But there's a fan group making a remake which may be more fun to play.

http://www.freewebs.com/xierragames/kq3index.htm

Oh, and to answer the question in the thread topic, I'm a relatively recent gamer. My first real (non-solitaire) computer game was Myst, which I played in 1999.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #34
LucasKeen

My first adventure game was simultaneously Myst and King's Quest VI CD-ROM in 1998. A friend of my dad's lent us some computer games. All I remember in Myst is not being able to find my way around the docks. In King's Quest VI I remember walking through town, past the house, and falling in the water. It frustrated me so I gave up.

However, what got me hooked on AGs three years later was when he lent us Rebel Assault and I saw the rolling demo for Day of the Tentacle.

Day of the Tentacle was the first real adventure game I played from beginning to end and actually appreciated. I got it for Christmas 2001. It was sheer brilliance, and remains to be my favorite to this day.

After that came Monkey Island. Then King's Quest. And right now I'm in the process of finding and playing all 6 Space Quests, in order.

Some of my games, like Day of the Alien: Tentacles Ate My Babysitter, Goodbye Monkey Island, and Maniac Mars are at Beyond the Pogo
Old 08-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Actually there were - this game was widely pirated and if I remember correctly, it was the reason Sierra started speaking out against piracy and putting copy protection on their games. One copy of the game that was floating around had a virus on it that shut down some UK bank for a day or two. Ken Williams had to make a statement about how it was the pirated copy, not the retail version of the game, that contained the virus.

I can't find an article about this right now, but I did come across this archived post that's related:

Quote:
Date: 21 December 1988, 18:50:18 CET
Subject: Problems with commercial software (PC)

We have recently heard from people having trouble formatting disks
on their MS-DOS-PCs. In fact their computers did not allow formatting,
reading or writing diskettes of any type. Some also reported that
some files or programmes residing on the harddisk were damaged or even
destroyed.
We have already found out that only those who had a copy of a game
called 'Leisure Suit Larry' installed on their disk were affected.
Actually, this game was to be found on some PCs at our Computer Center,
and the people in question 'just made a copy' of it.
Our problem now is: How can we get rid of that virus (at least, we
believe it to be one)? Has anybody heard of it and can help us
to solve our problem? I would be most glad to get some mail...

Yours truly
Thomas Zielke (113355 at DOLUNI1)
http://www.totse.com/en/viruses/viru...etc/v1i56.html

*grin*

-emily

ps I don't think it was the game that bothered my mom, so much as the fact that my father was playing it with me, his eight-year-old daughter. To his credit, he covered my eyes when Larry had sex with the hooker. And I learned at a very early age the importance of using a condom!

ps2 I'm a liar, LSL was not the first adventure game I played, it just makes the best story. I also dabbled in Zork (too hard for me) and a few Scott Adams text games before that. But LSL was the first with graphics, and I considered it to be entirely different from the text games.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Kings Quest 3. I didn't like it, so I didn't play any adventures until I stumbled upon Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Sam and Max was the first game I finished, because I was finally able to understand more than 50% of the English dialogue

--Erwin
Didn't like King's Quest 3? Man........I LOVED that game. And it may have been my first -- I know the first three were it, King's Quest 4, and Gold Rush, and I'm fairly certain I played 3 and Gold Rush before 4. I'm just not sure if Gold Rush or King's Quest 3 was first........but since I thought/still think both of them were brilliant games, either would have had me hooked.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #37

My first game was a charming, although tough little gem called Altered Destiny. This was in '92 and '93, and the game came on six or seven 3.5 inch floppies. I didn't even have a computer then, but my neighbour had a 386 and introduced me not only to the game, but to computer gaming as well. Altered Destiny has a score-counter, like the Gabriel Knight games, and as I recall we got about a third of the way through the game. The game was part point and click and part text, you had a text-bar with a cursor as well as the mouse cursor. You would move your character via point and click, then type in various questions/commands when you had moved the character (this dude that gets transported into an alternate universe by being sucked into a TV set he is watching) to where you wanted to perform the action. Usually, these were simple commands like "take sword" or "grab vine", but the game's vocabulary wasn't that extensive, and there were some frustrating times trying to come up with the exactly proper wording.

Then, one day in the latter part of 1993, we forgot about Altered Destiny pretty much for good. My friend, Jan came over and asked me to come down and look at what she had up on her machine, by now, I believe, a 486. I went over, and I stared when I saw, in all its colour and crystal-clarity, Achenar's bedroom in the original 256 colour version of Myst. So we plugged away at Myst for about two years, making good progress, but not finishing the game. All this, of course, was before you could just jump online for a moment to snag a walk-thru when you get stuck. But then Jan moved away, and I didn't play any games until I got my first computer, a Pentium II laptop early in 2000. And the first game I played then, that I bought at the same time I bought the computer, was Gabriel Knight III......and a year or so after that, I went back and finally finished Myst.

Antoinetta
Old 08-24-2004, 09:53 AM   #38
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

First adventure game I played: Tex Murphy:The Pandora Directive.

Shortly after that I begun Toonstruck which I completed before Tex (sorry old buddy).

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 08-24-2004, 11:25 AM   #39
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Mine was Black Cauldron way back around the time it first came out (when I was a little child still). Used to piss my dad off every morning asking him "how do you spell Sierra?", I could never remember. Didn't complete it until early nineties though, when I finally worked out where to say the magic word.

My dad would play Lesiure Suit Larry but wouldn't let us play because it was too adult. So eventually, in the mid 90s after pestering him for years, my brother and I just snuck into his room while he was work, found the old disk, and played it through to the end. Wasn't bad.

Anyway before finally finishing Black Cauldron, we got an Amiga and I bought the Delphine and Lucasarts Classics packs. Had hours of fun. I can't remember exactly which one I started with, but I remember I liked Cruise for a Corpse best, Operation Stealth and The Secret of Monkey Island a great deal. Those were the years... *sigh*
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #40

Mine was Secret of Monkey Island.