You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure [spoilers] Space Quest 4 and INSANE game design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #1

Default [spoilers] Space Quest 4 and INSANE game design

I FINALLY got SQ4 working last weekend (thanks for that, guys) and played through it quite compulsively over the weekend. My first thought was "What a great game!", but probably my second and straight on its heels was... what crazy design.

TOTAL SPOILERS HERE

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or commented on it, but just about every case of what I, at least, think of as a traditional puzzle builds up to getting the PocketPal computer rigged up to tap into Vohaul's mainframe... and then this turns out to actually be irrelevant to completing the game. (Helpful, but not necessary)

Just about the entire game revolves around avoiding death and getting clues in the process when you take those puzzles out of the equation. You don't need to solve any puzzles as such to get to Vohaul's fortress and once there the objects you need are the cigar, the matches, the hintbook and the acid. That's it. It's incredible!

What I've been really surprised by, though, is that this doesn't stop it from being a brilliant game. It seems to me that the Guys from Andromeda are the masters of the esoteric 'puzzle' - ones that don't even feel like puzzles as we know them. Does anyone else get the vibe that they were trying to make action/adventures before they even existed. I mean, as bad as the execution may have been in the Skate-a-Rama chase scene I thought the very idea of putting that scene in a game at that time was incredible (It's like the stuff that Half Life 2 is doing now!) and I got a real feeling of accomplishment when I saw the Sequel Police spinning off helplessly.

My one disappointment with the game, well, aside from the small cast of characters, is that the SQ1 portion was so small after so much to get there and for just one item. It had a lot of potential for comic brilliance and some fun exploration, but it just came out feeling too bland and a little cheap.

It seems quite incredible that the game came out at the same time as Monkey Island 2, because of the massive difference between them in terms of scope and how comparitively closer MI2 is to what we now consider an adventure game, but then I stopped and thought about it - SQ4 has incredible graphics for the time, constant cutscenes and full voice. I guess it seems that while LucasArts was focusing on the mechanics of the game's internal design, whereas Sierra (or at least Scott Murphy) were more interested in a cinematic experience using the best technology. I suppose lots of people (going by comments on various boards) that LA's approach is more popular, but after such a great time with this (and also with SQ5) I have to say that I think both are equally valid and can be just as fun.

But enough of me blathering on... anyone else have something to say about this wholly remarkable game?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
It's Hard To Be Humble

Nothing important to add. Just wanted to say that this was the first real Adventure Game I ever played.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Banned User

Space Quest IV is just epic. Its game spans so much! Its an awesome game, especially its humorous overlook.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I remember that chase scene in the mall REALLY hacking me off at the time. For some reason I just could not get past it.

That and, as I've mentioned somwhere else (I think) the sewer scene was annoying (right near the start I think). Chasing after some green slime if I remember correctly.

But other than that I did enjoy the game. The time-travel idea was used very well and it did fit in with the rest of the series. I love the idea of jumping forwards to Space Quest XII. Pure class.