You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #301

Most frustrating is the cross puzzle of broken sword- angel of death... Someone can help me? I'm very frustrated lol
Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #302

Now I've been stumped by many a puzzle in my time, but one of the puzzles that always stuck out in my mind as impossible without a walkthrough is in KQ7.

Towards the end of the game when you're playing as Valanice in Etheria this one puzzle has so many different, and seemingly unrelated, parts that if you completed it without any hints, then I tip my hat to you!

Spoiler:
First, after traveling to Etheria, you have to climb the warped tree and grab some ambrosia. Then a little later you come across some little flying dragonettes. If you give some ambrosia to these dragonettes, they'll play a song. REMEMBER THAT SONG THOUGH!! Cause just a little bit later you come across a harp, and clicking on the strings will play a different note. Now this part takes a little trial and error, but you have to click on the strings in an order which plays a tune that is the same as the first four notes of the dragonettes song (I believe it also sounds similar to the background music at the time). Now ifyou manage to successfully do this, the orb atop the harp will glow. Click on the orb and WHOOSH, you're teleported away, and you've completed the puzzle. But the fact that playing the harp strings gives you no indication that you're doing anything remotely correct until you've played the entire sequence correctly, makes this puzzle a little to difficult for my wee brain....
Old 09-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #303

HI

IMHO, the most frustrating puzzle was the puzzles in Shivers 2, most particularly the bakery puzzle and some other puzzles, I now have long
forgotten.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #304
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
HI

IMHO, the most frustrating puzzle was the puzzles in Shivers 2, most particularly the bakery puzzle and some other puzzles, I now have long
forgotten.
Hated the spider puzzle in that. HATED it!!!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Hated the spider puzzle in that. HATED it!!!!!

Now that I remember the spider puzzle in that game, I too had many problems with that puzzle. I think there also was some sort of egg puzzle in the game ?? or ball puzzle ??

I also did find this puzzle were frustrating...
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePG View Post
Most frustrating is the cross puzzle of broken sword- angel of death... Someone can help me? I'm very frustrated lol
That is a very good puzzle. I would never dream of spoiling it. You'll be very disapointed.

Hint: A clue can be found in the church.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #307
Master of time and space

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but does anyone remember the balloon puzzle in Simon 2 ?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAoTiC View Post
Am sure there are many more...but actions games has an easier job of pissing me off...gta f.ex......but am also not a fan of action sequences in AG's ....like in Broken Sword 3 where someone is trying to shoot u.....n the camerangle kept switcihng....i rem i had a hard time controlling the character....
Yes, that has to be most unnerving situation in BS3.
I think it took place under the cinema where you discovered one of those dragon line "intersections".
Then Susarro and Petra show up and you have to hide and, in consequence, get away.

Problem was that there was a pretty long cutscene prior to that action sequence.
As we all remember: you couldn´t bypass those. Playin the game on my PS2 first I had to watch the loading screen for some time and experience the cutscene all over again before I could take action.
The controls are messed up to the extreme in that part of the game.
I kept bumpin into Petra´s gun barrel NUMEROUS times.
It wasn´t that bad when playing on a PC though.

Oh yeah, someone else mentioned CODENAME:ICEMAN´S submarine "puzzles".
Don´t get me started on those

Last edited by Tiocfaidh; 10-11-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 AM   #309

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know how many times Runaway 1 &2 got mentioned, but boy did I ever hate those games! The puzzles were so convoluted and illogical...
Spoiler:
the one where you have to make peanut butter and spread it on the hut so it will get eaten by ants when you have a perfectly good crowbar in your inventory?
Stuff like that drove me nuts. The worst puzzle I have ever come across was in Runaway 2 (don't ask me why I even played it since I hated #1 so much.)
Spoiler:
You have these bottles of wine that you have been lugging around for ages and this hallway that you never go down... if you use the bottles on the hallway, Brian will wander off to his stateroom and drink both of them... despite the fact that he refuses to take a simple rest between dives. As if all this wasn't stupid and illogical enough, emptying the bottles is only the first step in the creation of a totally improbably and stupid invention which is only necessary because your best friend is too stingy to lend you a sheet of paper to save the world!
Geez.

Last edited by Melanie68; 02-18-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddi
The worst puzzle I have ever come across was in Runaway 2 (don't ask me why I even played it since I hated #1 so much.)
Spoiler:
You have these bottles of wine that you have been lugging around for ages and this hallway that you never go down... if you use the bottles on the hallway, Brian will wander off to his stateroom and drink both of them... despite the fact that he refuses to take a simple rest between dives. As if all this wasn't stupid and illogical enough, emptying the bottles is only the first step in the creation of a totally improbably and stupid invention which is only necessary because your best friend is too stingy to lend you a sheet of paper to save the world!
Geez.
That was one from the three occations in total where i had to resort to a walkthrough for this game...The other two involved pixel hunting which is something else runaway is notorious for... It's really annoying when you get stuck in puzzles like these...

Last edited by Melanie68; 02-18-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #311

Spoiler:
shining the guys leg 15 times or whatever to get the coins in the very beginning of monkey island 2.
once i'd figured out to do it once, it just didn't occur to me to do the exact same stupid thing 14 more times so i was wondering around forever.

Last edited by Melanie68; 02-18-2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 02-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfuzzy View Post
once i'd figured out to do it once, it just didn't occur to me to do the exact same stupid thing 14 more times so i was wondering around forever.
You don't have to do that (even once). There's another way to get money.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #313
Super Moderator

Let's not forget to use spoiler tags when talking about a puzzle solution.

If in full Post Reply - highlight section of text and press

By hand - [spoiler]text here[/spoiler]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 02-18-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: :P
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #314

I always thought the marble puzzle in Riven was very frustrating
Spoiler:
I got the basic idea of how to solve it (find that image mapper and figure out where the lights were, I just could not figure out any trick to find exact spot.
Also I could never figure out Rivenese numbers over 10.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #315
Ronin

I second you on the Riven marble puzzle. I figured out the principle, but could not execute it, because the marble sockets were so small and close together. Using the correct technique, I could only narrow down each marble's spot to a cluster of four adjacent sockets. Rather than trying all the permutations, I checked a walkthrough. Even then, I got it wrong several times.

Any moment now a raging pack of Riven fans should start screaming at us.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #316
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
I always thought the marble puzzle in Riven was very frustrating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
I second you on the Riven marble puzzle. I figured out the principle, but could not execute it, because the marble sockets were so small and close together. Using the correct technique, I could only narrow down each marble's spot to a cluster of four adjacent sockets. Rather than trying all the permutations, I checked a walkthrough. Even then, I got it wrong several times.

Any moment now a raging pack of Riven fans should start screaming at us.
I'm a Riven fan but I agree wholeheartedly that the marble puzzle was frustrating. I even had to use a walkthrough to solve it the second time I played the game. I think it was an unnecessarily difficult puzzle and I humbly bow to all those who managed it without hints.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #317
say yes when nobody asked

Timed puzzles in general drives me crazy. Especially when it's a long sequence of things you have to do. Myst 4 was probably the worst that I can remember. I downloaded a patch that was supposed to fix that particular sequence, but even that didn't help, unfortunately.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #318

Default Runaway Again

I haven't read all 16 pages of this thread, so I'm not sure how many times it's been mentioned, but how ever many times, it needs mentioning again.

Runaway Puzzle:
Spoiler:
The trough puzzle. First, Brain pulls the "oh, my hands, I can't let a smidge of dirt get on them" thing when he's been hiking around an abondoned mine/train for quite a bit before that. Then, he won't even attempt to knock the trough over. It wouldn't have been that bad of a puzzle if there had been a clue when you looked at the flower pot, like all the other objects in that game. Instead, Brain mentions that he should find something to plant in it. I don't think dropping a flower pot would result in a heavy wrench flying out of the mud.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #319
The Major Grubert.

I didn't really have that much of a problem with the Riven marble puzzle (not that it was easy). The one that got me was the Riven animal puzzle.
Spoiler:
Some of the sounds were just too ambiguous to match.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #320

Not sure is this is exactly counts as a puzzle, but I found the root maze in Space Quest 2 very annoying
Spoiler:
Mostly the fact that there is at least one part of the maze that you can't step on a couple pixels besides the root, even though there is no root there!