You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Well you're the perfect person to finally explain it to me then !
Let's see if I can remember this right - you have to make a ticket with the day, month and race number, but the only clue is the photograph with two sixes on it?
I loved that puzzle! I thought it was pretty clever and satisfying to solve.
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly you can see the zeppelin on it's first and only voyage, which you find out crashed and killed beloved Sanspoof. I think the stuffed Sanspoof inscription gives you the week, the photo gives you the race number and you can see it's Kitty Hat Day which the sales assistant tells you is Tuesday.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:23 AM   #342
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Got stuck on one irritating puzzle recently... I've started playing Ripper for the first time and got stuck for several days on the first "real" puzzle: recontructing the broken mug!

Turned out to be pretty easy if you know what you are doing
Yeah, that puzzle's pretty annoying at first, until you realize that the mug pieces can be manipulated. I discovered how to do that by accident, lol.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhubbard View Post
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly you can see the zeppelin on it's first and only voyage, which you find out crashed and killed beloved Sanspoof. I think the stuffed Sanspoof inscription gives you the week, the photo gives you the race number and you can see it's Kitty Hat Day which the sales assistant tells you is Tuesday.
Spot on. It really is just a process of deduction, using the clues at the cat track.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #344

Echo, secret of the lost cavern. The whole game was one annoyingly difficult puzzle after the other. There was a wall full of images of stags that I spent hours on before going to read a walkthrough and even with one it was difficult. The one that really got me, which I couldn't even find a solution for, was moving about sticks in order to open up a door.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #345
The Major Grubert.

I had to have a bit of help for Echo as well, but overall, I enjoyed it.

What I'm not enjoying is Barrow Hill. I am now decided that I will finish it in front of a walkthrough. I will sometimes refer to a walkthrough for a small hint, but this time, I will just read through the entire thing and get this off my computer.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
What I'm not enjoying is Barrow Hill. I am now decided that I will finish it in front of a walkthrough.
I did the same thing. It comes from a very small company, so I don't like to be too harsh on the game, but come on. Some of the puzzles are more like bugs, like
Spoiler:
when typing the password in the PC at the radio station. I actually found the answer myself, then checked I was right in UHS, then tried again and again... it had to do with clicking with the mouse on the screen or something
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 AM   #347
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
What I'm not enjoying is Barrow Hill.
I pretty much stopped enjoying it very close to the beginning, when you first meet the guy at that door/window. The graphics used to animate him were sooooooooooooooo cheap looking, it killed the mood for me. If I had played this 10 years ago, I could understand such cheesy animation, but not with current technology and game engines.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhubbard View Post
Spoiler:
Oh my, seems I missed -a lot- of clues then But thank you for the excellent explanation !
Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #349

The hatred for the Monkey Wrench puzzle in MI2 is a little funny I think. I not that good in english but I thought the joke was pretty funny.

Then the "use cat hair and suryp to create a false mustach" in GK3 much, much dumber. I have never tried to play that game, but I don't understand why some people hate monkey wrench more, GK unlike MI is supposed to be serious.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp Scallion View Post
Then the "use cat hair and suryp to create a false mustach" in GK3 much, much dumber. I have never tried to play that game, but I don't understand why some people hate monkey wrench more, GK unlike MI is supposed to be serious.
Serious? Yes. Free from humor? No. Thank god! Just like the humorous part in Broken Sword 2 when you are supposed to fool the gate keeper by the docks early in the game, the over weight man with his look-alike pitbull dog.

The mustach part of GK3 is also a fun way to promote the game for people you meet who haven't played the game, while talking about adventure games.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #351

Pretty much all of monkey Island 4 lol. Maybe i am dumb, i dont know. Sam and max 1 hypnosis scene was quite annoying too... i tried every single option. Very frustrating.-____-. Dont like trial and error. Also tomb raider 4 part with some dragon in the street was very very hard. I spent a month trying to figure it out. Turned out i had to use the crowbar on broken car to get an acesssory to modify my bike. Good times.
Link to the past was so hard too, i played the german version and i dont know any german.....but hey i beat it! could not find 1 quarter of a heart, rest was perfect. I had good childhood. lol
Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #352

Most annoying puzzle? Hmmm... where do I begin? I played most of my adventuregames before there was an internet to consult, hintbooks were only sold in stores in cities several hours from my town. On a rare occation, some games were featured in magazines with some hints here and there. Needless to say, if I was stuck in a game... I was STUCK!

Which way is the topic headed? Most annoying puzzle to figure out? Or most annoying to complete?

For the first. Gabriel Knight 1 - All those voodoo-markings had me at a loss for a long time. It was really hard to figure out what to write, let alone form the correct sentences. Also, same thing near the end where you had to use the drums in order to send out a message to get Dr. John to leave his quarters.

The ancient KQ, SQ, PQ games were also frustrating at times, as the game didn't pause when you typed what to do. Leaving you with a very short time-limit to make your futile attempts at trying something at the top of your head. (Remember Al Lowe's words of wisdom: Save often, save early)

For the latter? Hardest to complete? Log-scene from Larry 3 anyone?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #353
Super Moderator

VioletsVintage, I moved your Echo help request to this thread. Although, it definitely is a frustrating puzzle (which you're welcome to repost about here), I didn't want to sidetrack the thread too much when helping you.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:57 AM   #354
Cake Maniac

The wolves' cauldron in Toonstruck: it wasn't futureproofed, so as soon as I played it on a slightly faster computer, it wasn't humanly possible to time the tilting! I had to reinstall and quickly play through to that point on an oold PC, then copy the savegame across, only to find the same bloody thing happens later with the defrosted fish!

Also, Dr Fred signing the contract in DOTT. Is this a really clever puzzle, playing on the player's taking conversation-tree tradition for granted, or a mean puzzle, taking advantage of conversation-tree tradition? I'm undecided, but I sure was frustrated!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #355
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

i got stuck on toonstruck at that point never played it again and lost the discs.

i am paying for that mistake.

Marise-Chiko
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #356
3rd person fanatic :)

My god... that has to be the leaf-mixing puzzle in order to make a sleep drink in the Mystery of the druids. That was really something outrageous.

Then there's the satellite adjusting puzzle in The Moment Of Silence. Man, that is something I call really sick. Even with a walkthrough it was still hard egg to crack.

Also in heaven's dawn, when you have to play "chess" against that yuppie in the forest and you have to win. That puzzle seems so out of the story and the "chessgame" itself is based on luck and is totally unfair!

And the one worth mentioning is definetly the prisoner of ice: Whole game is one big frustating trial-and-error experience.

Not forgetting the ridiculous idea of giving mint candy to the snowman in simon the sorcerer 1. heaven's sake i was jammed in the game almost 2 weeks 'cause of that.

Oh yeah... and the password for Nina's father's computer in Secret Files: Tunguska. As much as I liked the game, this one should have dropped out of it.

Last edited by MoonBird; 08-15-2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: addition...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #357
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGarnagle View Post
I dont know how many of you have played Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, but I think this one takes the cake.

You have to find a nail that is 1 pixel by 1 pixel, in the dark, and even if you know the general area it is still hard to find.

Also I hate those mazes where almost every scene is the same and you have to go left left right up down in the right order. Anybody else hate those?
Yes, i definetly know that damned nail in the wall. It's the mother of all pixel hunting, a real shitcase.

As for the mazes, I really think that they do not belong to the 3rd person point & click games. Especially if you can die in them or if they are really long and illogical (i.e. when you go back, you won't be in the same place where you came..and THANKFULLY I haven't seen many of them!) or if they include way too much running around. Usually when it comes to mazes, I look in the walkthrough right away in order to avoid spoiling of the gaming experience

Last edited by MoonBird; 08-15-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #358

The fossil bug puzzle in the dig.. and the light puzzle too.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
As for the mazes, I really think that they do not belong to the 3rd person point & click games. Especially if you can die in them or if they are really long and illogical (i.e. when you go back, you won't be in the same place where you came..and THANKFULLY I haven't seen many of them!) or if they include way too much running around. Usually when it comes to mazes, I look in the walkthrough right away in order to avoid spoiling of the gaming experience
Alot of Mazes back then were a premature way to prevent piracy. For instance in Leisure Suit Larry 3; The road through the jungle/swamp was found by using the first letters in a song printed in the manual where every word started with either N,W,E or S. (North, West, East, South) I had the original game, but still I was kinda lost there for a long while.

Apart from that, I agree with you. Mazes based on pure lucky guesses/trial and error does not belong in a point&click game. Though, unless clues can be found in the game. I actually found the way to the moneychanger in QFG2 from the very vague description given by the merchant.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss View Post
Working out the day, race and track no. in Grim Fandango to make the bet to get the picture
Took me a while too, but I eventually figured it out. What drove me crazy was pretty much every puzzle in Space Quest 3. I eventually looked at a walkthrough every time and the reaction was the same HOW THE HECK WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT!