You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 01:36 AM   #321
The name says it all!

Default Most frustrating puzzles, tasks or mini games in AG!

I would have to say the duck shooting game in Simon the Sorcerer 3D and from that game also trying to cross the bridge, getting the fireworks right, trying to take the metal detector and crossing the quicksand but it was still a great game though I have to say! And allso all the hacking mini games in Broken Sword 4, especially when you need to hack in to that database where they tell you how to disarm the bomb.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #322
Ronin

Put me down for the bow and arrow game in Timelapse.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #323
Coltrane

Ups, wrong thread.
Currently reading: The Name of the Rose

Last edited by Chaosphere; 04-02-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #324

The lazer room in Still Life. I never got passed it so have not finished the game.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #325

I don't have a whole lot of good examples, but something with a truck in Grim Fandango (probably mostly due to weird controlling) was incredibly annoying. Just the first thing that stuck out in my mind.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDS View Post
I don't have a whole lot of good examples, but something with a truck in Grim Fandango (probably mostly due to weird controlling) was incredibly annoying. Just the first thing that stuck out in my mind.
The lock puzzle in Grim Fandango was one of the most frustrating puzzles in an adventure game that I've ever had to do. Even when you know how to do it, the timing is so precise that it seems more like luck than anything. That, and the elevator puzzle. And the entire segment where the Bone Wagon was trapped in the woods.

Come to think of it, there were a lot of frustrating puzzles in Grim Fandango.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #327

Well again, i have to say that my alltime favourite terrible puzzle would be, the trapping of the tigerlike creature in Myst 4, the turning of the wheels puzzle...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG !!!

happy days
Old 05-04-2007, 12:21 AM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by old lady View Post
The lazer room in Still Life. I never got passed it so have not finished the game.
Tried walkthrough? It helps, although I must admit this puzzle recuires some craft and speed. I had to try many times.
Maybe I have the saves lying around. You could take of from there?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss View Post
Working out the day, race and track no. in Grim Fandango to make the bet to get the picture
That frustrated me to no end. It was easily the most frustrated Ive been in an adventure game.

The goat in the original Broken Sword was pretty infuriating as well, especially as it is the only time you can run in the game.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #330

What was the problem with the Track photo puzzle in Grim Fandango? It made perfect logical sense! You basically piece together information from your surroundings at the Kitty Track to ascertain the correct date.

I can understand people not getting it before reading a walkthrough, but after?!

Edit to apologise for the condescending tone. Sorry

Last edited by noknowncure; 05-04-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #331

I hated the Sidney computer system-puzzles in GK 3. Especially the one with the map and the symbols, or however it was!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #332
Super Moderator

Frustrating as it was, I admit it was clever. I did have to look up what to do on a few occasions though.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #333

I had no problem with that puzzle in TLJ that's got everyone worked up, and I usually can't resist reaching for the walkthrough after a few minutes head scratching.

I was frustrated by the MI2 monkey, making the feet in Syberia and the alchemy in TLJ (how am I supposed to know which is the catalyst?), but the most frustrating for me was in BS2 at the priest's place. Without being spoilery I spent ages looking around for any kind of container I could catch stuff in. Turns out I'd accidentally bypassed the dog puzzle and I should have picked something up there.

I'm a newbie. Be nice to me.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #334
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
making the feet in Syberia
I can remember pure guesswork coming to my rescue in that puzzle. To this day, I don't know if there was a hint to its solution, but I tried a lot of feet.
Quote:
NO!

(Welcome to AG! )
Old 05-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #335
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
I can remember pure guesswork coming to my rescue in that puzzle. To this day, I don't know if there was a hint to its solution, but I tried a lot of feet.
Spoiler:
There was a brochure in the hotel that you could pick up in the lobby. It talked about the history of the company and mention the kind of wood they used.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Spoiler:
There was a brochure in the hotel that you could pick up in the lobby. It talked about the history of the company and mention the kind of wood they used.
Spoiler:
Even after looking at the brochure I didn't get it. It mentioned mahogany, so I tried the darkest wood. Seems it's one of the pictures that's the clue, but I don't think the wood you have to pick on the control panel is the closest to the one in the picture.

Admittedly trial and error is simple enough, but I couldn't remember what I'd already tried in between bouts of wandering off and trying to find some cunningly concealed switch that would make things work.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #337
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
I always thought the marble puzzle in Riven was very frustrating
Spoiler:
I got the basic idea of how to solve it (find that image mapper and figure out where the lights were, I just could not figure out any trick to find exact spot.
Also I could never figure out Rivenese numbers over 10.
Spoiler:
Strange I remember it was only a matter of viewing the landscape on each "landscape machine" as they had the same scale as the main machine. I suceeded on the first try. Just count rows and columns...
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
What was the problem with the Track photo puzzle in Grim Fandango? It made perfect logical sense! You basically piece together information from your surroundings at the Kitty Track to ascertain the correct date.

I can understand people not getting it before reading a walkthrough, but after?!

Edit to apologise for the condescending tone. Sorry

Well you're the perfect person to finally explain it to me then !
Let's see if I can remember this right - you have to make a ticket with the day, month and race number, but the only clue is the photograph with two sixes on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I had no problem with that puzzle in TLJ that's got everyone worked up, and I usually can't resist reaching for the walkthrough after a few minutes head scratching.

I was frustrated by the MI2 monkey, making the feet in Syberia and the alchemy in TLJ (how am I supposed to know which is the catalyst?)
Spoiler:
You get all the recipes from Klacks' book and the page from the mirror I think?

Last edited by Ouroboros; 05-06-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Spoiler:
You get all the recipes from Klacks' book and the page from the mirror I think?
Spoiler:
Indeed, but each recipe contains a picture that April simply identifies as "catalyst". I couldn't relate any of the bottles I had to this term and thought there must be some other item around to use (or possibly the red bottle that was still inaccessible). I forget the descriptions associated with the right bottle, but it made no more sense when I knew which it was. Perhaps you're meant to work by process of elimination.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #340
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Got stuck on one irritating puzzle recently... I've started playing Ripper for the first time and got stuck for several days on the first "real" puzzle: recontructing the broken mug!

Turned out to be pretty easy if you know what you are doing