You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 05:54 AM   #261
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcho
there's too many illogical puzzles and there are some in almost every adventure released ever but i just finished Ankh it's not a hard game but this one got me pissed

Spoiler:
At the end you have to eat something before you can go down some descent (and that's beacause some guy hit you with a stone and you don't have enough energy ???) and to do this you have to throw a can of figs through the nose of the sphinx in order to open it and all this while you have a hammer) in your possesion and there are plenty of other things to eat scatered around in the game.
Yikes!

(note to self: avoid buying Ankh....)
Old 04-20-2006, 08:55 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
The cookie puzzle wasn't so bad, considering how easy it is to FIND a cookie recipe and use it to convert the puzzle into ingredients. That laser puzzle, on the other hand, was ridiculous. Between that, and seeing on this forum a spoiler about the disappointing-sounding ending, I uninstalled the game and never thought twice about it. I was glad I played Post Mortem, though;as a first game, it was terrific.

...too bad Still Life felt so inferior...

well, actually that's what I found most frustrating about it. to have the recipe but not being able to put it in to use. I just couldn't convert it, which may have been due to my poor english skills (I'm living in germany by the way).

I'm not quite remembering the laser puzzle you mean. is it the one where you have to control this little robot?

I only played the demo version of Post Mortem but it didn't really catch my attention. Is it really that good?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #263
Lazy adventurer

Send a message via Yahoo to wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyIs2BLAME
I only played the demo version of Post Mortem but it didn't really catch my attention. Is it really that good?
Well, i liked it. Very good voice acting and some interesting puzzles. But i liked Still Life more.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #264
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyIs2BLAME
I'm not quite remembering the laser puzzle you mean. is it the one where you have to control this little robot?

Yup, that puzzle had me pulling out my hair, lol. By the zillionth attempt, I may have been killing the robot out a need for vengeance....

I really enjoyed PM, I mean it wasn't perfect, but it was a fun, creepy mystery while it lasted.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney
Yup, that puzzle had me pulling out my hair, lol. By the zillionth attempt, I may have been killing the robot out a need for vengeance....

I really enjoyed PM, I mean it wasn't perfect, but it was a fun, creepy mystery while it lasted.
Ooohh, how could you?! poor little (strange to control) robot...but I guess you are right the developers could have done this part somehow different/better. The overall idea about the puzzle wasn't so bad though...

I guess I have to give Post Mortem another try then. See if I can agree with you guys thanks for sharing your opinions about it
Old 04-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #266
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcho
there's too many illogical puzzles and there are some in almost every adventure released ever but i just finished Ankh it's not a hard game but this one got me pissed

Spoiler:
At the end you have to eat something before you can go down some descent (and that's beacause some guy hit you with a stone and you don't have enough energy ???) and to do this you have to throw a can of figs through the nose of the sphinx in order to open it and all this while you have a hammer) in your possesion and there are plenty of other things to eat scatered around in the game.
Spoiler:
Ugh tell me about it, that was horrible! and the fact that it was an exit threw me off that it could even be used in a puzzle...but the energy bar was funny

It was a great game though, just a couple of frustrating puzzles
Old 04-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #267
Roman5

Did anyone mention the marble puzzle in nibiru? Gotta be the worst conceived and most difficult puzzle ever. I couldn't do it without help, and there were threads on here and JA with lots of people who couldn't do it either. It was truly diabolical.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 AM   #268

The coffee puzzle in Syberia 1, I have yet nor the walkthroughs I found, understood the concept of that puzzle. Its a piano note thingy I guess, I know very minor info about notes, yet I had no idea what it resembled.

The Picklock in still life. These are the ones that really annoyed me.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #269
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5
Did anyone mention the marble puzzle in nibiru? Gotta be the worst conceived and most difficult puzzle ever. I couldn't do it without help, and there were threads on here and JA with lots of people who couldn't do it either. It was truly diabolical.
-Really? I guess I got really lucky on that one. Only took me about 10mins of fiddling.

-The figs puzzle in Anhk was definitely not fair. There was no logic behind it, the player basically had to resort to trying all items on all hotspots to figure it out.

-Picklock in SL was frustrating but doable with enough patience and note taking. I didn't think it was a *bad* puzzle, it just felt out of place in the game (even though it made sense logic-wise).

-Robot puzzle in SL was fun... ONCE I FIGURED OUT WHAT THE GOAL WAS. I walked by the "solution" numerous times until I figured out where I was supposed to go.

-Cookie puzzle in SL just felt like a time killer. I think that was what bugged me the most about it. I'm hot on the trail of a serial killer but have to stop to bake cookies for my dad?!? Wretched me right out of the game and into my living room where I tried to remember how to bake cookies.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #270
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
-Really? I guess I got really lucky on that one. Only took me about 10mins of fiddling.

...bysmitty
Wow, yeah, you did get lucky. Check this thread, quite a few people frustrated with that puzzle.

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ghlight=nibiru

Old 08-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #271

The blue drink from Syberia.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #272
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinsalot
The blue drink from Syberia.
That puzzle frustrated me only because...

Spoiler:
...the recipe calls for a lime, but you actually need a lemon. I spent too much time searching for a lime that didn't exist.

It apparently was a translation error.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 PM   #273

BS2: On that filmset, something with the honey and the bees. The damn thing just wouldn't work.

Syberia II: The fishing part. I found no reference to what bait to use or where you had to fish. Everytime you got it wrong, you needed to rewatch that whole sequence of her getting the equipment ready.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #274
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo
Syberia II: The fishing part. I found no reference to what bait to use or where you had to fish.
Spoiler:
There's a book on the fireplace mantle that answers both questions.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:17 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo
BS2: On that filmset, something with the honey and the bees. The damn thing just wouldn't work.
yeah, I was stuck there for ages.

Spoiler:
I think you had to throw a bun in the bee bush two times.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #276
QFG

I also had massive problems with the betting/photo puzzle in Grim Fandango.

Amazingly, my wife solved the Longest Journey rubber duck/band aid/get the key puzzle in mere seconds. I remember saying "Well, I don't think it'll work, but...." Famous last words.

Still Life's cookie puzzle was as annoying as everyone says, and worse, wasn't even related to the story. Nor does your stupid father even thank you; the lockpick puzzle wasn't too bad after I decided to take notes. Still difficult.

But my all-time least-favorite most-frustrating puzzle was the damned King's Quest 5 puzzle with the pie and the yeti. I was about 10 when I played it, and it took me literally weeks to get it right.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #277
"But... It's Pink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFG
I also had massive problems with the betting/photo puzzle in Grim Fandango.
I still don't get it. I really, truly and genuinely don't get it - even after having played the game at least twenty times and skimmed various walkthroughs looking for the answer. Can anybody explain how the conclusion to this puzzle is reached? Bizarre.

Other puzzles I found frustrating:

Post Mortem
THAT fresco puzzle. Because I hate pixel-hunting and this is arguably the most extreme example in any game I've ever played. Unsurprisingly, sitting in front of the same screen for at least half an hour moving the mouse around slo-o-o-owly to pick out tiny bits of hidden detail is even less fun than it sounds.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth
The sound puzzle.
I'd explain in more detail, but I'd only be traumatising myself.

Mystery of the Druids
The part where... Oh, sod it. ALL of it. There's not a single puzzle in this game that makes one Goddamn lick of sense.

Dreamfall
Okay, not a puzzle as such (still, as this is Dreamfall we're talking about, that's hardly a surprise) - but rather the segment where Zoe has to acquire the spices for Blind Bob's mulled wine. "Talk to Benrime, Talk to Bob, Talk to Benrime, Talk to Merchant, Talk to Delivery man, Talk to Merchant, Talk to Benrime, Talk to Bob". Puzzle solved.
The sadist who wrote that sequence and deemed it appealing needs a good, long holiday.

Black Mirror
I love this game, but I also love complaining about it. Is that so wrong? My main quibble involves the Zodiac slider puzzle in the Welsh manor. Whoever constructed the game and decided "What THIS game needs is a bizarre, incomprehensible tile puzzle!" should consider throwing themselves off a high roof a'la Samuel Gordon.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 08-13-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy
Post Mortem
THAT fresco puzzle.
The recognize-the-face-and-draw-it-exactly-right puzzle was much worse, IMO.
Quote:
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
The sound puzzle.
What about The Door Puzzle?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #279
"But... It's Pink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
What about The Door Puzzle?
*shudders*

Oh yeah, THAT Godawful experience. After an hour of head-scratching I just started shoving tiles in any which way. And the real kicker? The clue didn't make any sense even after completing the puzzle.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy
Dreamfall
Okay, not a puzzle as such (still, as this is Dreamfall we're talking about, that's hardly a surprise) - but rather the segment where Zoe has to aquire the spices for Blind Bob's mulled wine. "Talk to Benrime, Talk to Bob, Talk to Benrime, Talk to Merchant, Talk to Delivery man, Talk to Merchant, Talk to Benrime, Talk to Bob". Puzzle solved.
The sadist who wrote that sequence and deemed it appealing needs a good, long holiday.
Oh no! That was a brilliantly subtle and elegant way of introducing the various places, people and themes in Marcuria to the player!

Or maybe not.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]