You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure (Spoilers) Secret Files Tunguska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Default (Spoilers) Secret Files Tunguska

I just had to write a few comments on this game. I’ve been to broke to get anything new and decided to give it another shot after becoming frustrated on my first attempt to get through it. To me it’s a classic example of the genre and the reason I personally don’t care for the traditional AG. Lets take a look at some of the puzzles in it.

I think the “cell phone on the cat” puzzle is somewhat famous as being one of the more ridiculous puzzles ever concocted in a game, so nuff said there. And I believe this is also the game that has the “putting dynamite on a rats back” as well, but I haven‘t gotten that far yet. I'm going to put spoiler tags around the next part in case there are folks that haven't played it yet.

Spoiler:
But how about using the sandwich on the rusty jack to free it from the truck? Or “charming the guard into bending 2 rods” so you can use them to complete a ladder. Then you have the ol “guard sitting on a poisoned tack” trick, or sticking a meat fork through someone’s portrait to hold open a door? Or making a brush from reindeer hair?

Spoiler:
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. The whole game is filled with these logical wonders. Where else but an AG would you even contemplate the idea of using a sandwich on a car jack to free it from rust?

Now if this is your cup of tea, great, but I had to keep alt tabbing out of the game with the walkthrough handy to get anywhere. Either that or mindlessly click on anything and everything multiple times which is no more than a waste of time. For me, ruins immersion.

Now granted I’m not very good at puzzles, I openly admit that, but at least give me something that would make sense in real life. I try to think “out of the box” in these games, but by doing so just drives me “out of my mind”.

But I probably will finish the game because it does have an intriguing story and the graphics and cut scenes are very well done. I do want to see how it ends, but like my first time playing not sure if I'll make it through.

I’m not writing this to offend anyone. Obviously many people like this sort of thing, and more power to ya! The only reason I’ll occasionally write one of these posts is in the hope that game some game devs, (and I know there are some that read these threads), will see that there are people out there who’d like to see something a bit more unique in the genre.

I love the idea of a good adventure game where story takes precedence, the puzzles make sense and it all ties together at the end like a good novel, but why are they so hard to find?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
It's Hard To Be Humble

I tend to agree with your point of view. I like puzzles that make sense in context with the plot and don't feel like padding to make the adventure longer. Sadly, that's not common in AGs. Even the really good ones occasionally serve up something strange that only makes sense in the fevered brain of a developer in need of rest.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
And I believe this is also the game that has the “putting dynamite on a rats back” as well, but I haven‘t gotten that far yet. I'm going to put spoiler tags around the next part in case there are folks that haven't played it yet.
Nope, the rat puzzle's actually from NiBiRU, a game I higly despise instead of the Secret files games wich I can't get enough of. This game has been compared more often with lesser quality games such as those made by City interactive wich aren't bad (generally) but definitely no match for the Secret Files games. I honestly don't get where these comparisons are coming from and to be honest finds them quite insulting(not looking at you)

Quote:
But I probably will finish the game because it does have an intriguing story and the graphics and cut scenes are very well done. I do want to see how it ends, but like my first time playing not sure if I'll make it through.
Quite right, it's got a great story that you should definitely follow through and every new location's more beautiful than the last one(not entirely thruthfull but you get the idea)

Quote:
I love the idea of a good adventure game where story takes precedence, the puzzles make sense and it all ties together at the end like a good novel, but why are they so hard to find?
Now there's something we can agree on. I suggest Overclocked if you haven't played it yet than start as soon as you've finished SF: Tunguska wich I promise you is worth the struggle
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Nope, the rat puzzle's actually from NiBiRU, a game I higly despise instead of the Secret files games wich I can't get enough of. This game has been compared more often with lesser quality games such as those made by City interactive wich aren't bad (generally) but definitely no match for the Secret Files games. I honestly don't get where these comparisons are coming from and to be honest finds them quite insulting(not looking at you)
Well you obviously like the game and nothing wrong with that. One mans junk is another mans gold. I do recall now the "rat" puzzle in Nibiru, another one I never finished for the same reason as this one. The puzzles in these games all seem alike to me so I get confused.

As to Overclocked. I did play the demo and really enjoyed it, although I can't seem to find it any cheaper than 30 bucks, which to me is a lot of cash for a game I'll most likely only play once. It certainly did have an interesting premise and I'm sure I'll play it at some point.

I recently played the demo for Lost Horizon and enjoyed it very much. It's one of the few games I'm planning on picking up ASAP. I've also played Indigo Prophecy several times now, and played Lost Crown twice, so it's not like I think all AG's are lame. Just most haha.

I guess my problem is that they haven't evolved very much in the last 20 years or so IMO.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #5

Quote:
I recently played the demo for Lost Horizon and enjoyed it very much. It's one of the few games I'm planning on picking up ASAP.
You do know Lost Horizon is by the guys who made Secret Files right?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 AM   #6

Most of the puzzles in the game are unthinkably preposterous -- there's no denying it -- but a part of me looks back fondly on Secret Files: Tunguska. Maybe it's just how gorgeous the game looked, and maybe time has distanced me from the frustration I felt while playing, but now I kind of think to myself, "Y'know what...that was a pretty decent game".

Don't get me wrong -- it pretty much embodies everything I dislike about the genre, and is only second to Runaway: A Road Adventure in terms of games that demonstrate precisely why no one cares for traditional adventures anymore -- but hey, it's not all bad
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Schattenger

Come on...Secret Files 1 and 2 are both awesome. I love them and the characters. I will agree that the puzzles, specially on number 1 are somewhat ludicrous but nothing to loose sleep about.

I would point that there are some certain "stones" you have to acquire on number 2 that are even more outrageous on the explanation of why they are scattered than the cat puzzle.

Now, Runway, this one i can´t defend. The game is outrageous stupid.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #8

Well you know the ambiance and graphics in the game are good, and the story as well. What I find weird is that the game can't seem to decide whether it wants to be serious or humorous. It's like a schizophrenic person arguing with himself. "I want to be funny!" "No! I want to be serious." I guess they decided they could go both ways.

And the voice acting. OMG the voice acting! The odd thing is, I'm actually starting to get used to all the hokeyness the game throws at you. It's kind of fun seeing just how far they can go with the outrageous puzzles. It's getting to the point where I'll try and think of the most illogical ways of accomplishing something.

I actually figured out to
Spoiler:
put the stethoscope on the rain pipe to talk to Nina. And then using the fan to send items up to her.

That is funny stuff. Illogical but funny nonetheless. So I guess I'm kind of like the schizophrenic guy I mentioned above. "I love it!" No!, I hate it."
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Schattenger

Quote:
Well you know the ambiance and graphics in the game are good, and the story as well. What I find weird is that the game can't seem to decide whether it wants to be serious or humorous. It's like a schizophrenic person arguing with himself. "I want to be funny!" "No! I want to be serious." I guess they decided they could go both ways.

And the voice acting. OMG the voice acting! The odd thing is, I'm actually starting to get used to all the hokeyness the game throws at you. It's kind of fun seeing just how far they can go with the outrageous puzzles. It's getting to the point where I'll try and think of the most illogical ways of accomplishing something.

I actually figured out to
Spoiler:
put the stethoscope on the rain pipe to talk to Nina. And then using the fan to send items up to her.

That is funny stuff. Illogical but funny nonetheless. So I guess I'm kind of like the schizophrenic guy I mentioned above. "I love it!" No!, I hate it."
Yeah....this is weird stuff. There is also:

Spoiler:
that guy who bends the iron bar to Nina
Which i foun very weird and funny.

The main thing is, the game has cool characters and is very pretty and i think because of that i´m more lenient with the weirdness.

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #10

Just finished the game. Of course had to consult the walkthrough very often. Way more than I would have liked. This game is filled with the most inane convoluted puzzles I've seen since TLJ, which I also didn't like and never finished.

Which is really to bad, because although the story was pretty standard fare, it did throw you a couple of curves here and there, and ended in a pretty satisfactory way. (although for some reason I was never able to watch the ending cinematic, maybe a bug?) There were some loose ends here and there, but better than some other games I've played. And as goofy as the main characters acted, they did grow on me for some inexplicable reason. So it did have a certain charm about it. Plus it actually had me laughing at the absurdity of the puzzles themselves, which is more than I can say for some other games as well.

I may try to take on Nibiru next which I also started and never finished. I've got to rest my hands first though. I think I'm getting carpal tunnel from all that alt-tabbing out of the game to get to the walkthrough!!
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Schattenger

Quote:
Just finished the game. Of course had to consult the walkthrough very often. Way more than I would have liked. This game is filled with the most inane convoluted puzzles I've seen since TLJ, which I also didn't like and never finished.

Which is really to bad, because although the story was pretty standard fare, it did throw you a couple of curves here and there, and ended in a pretty satisfactory way. (although for some reason I was never able to watch the ending cinematic, maybe a bug?) There were some loose ends here and there, but better than some other games I've played. And as goofy as the main characters acted, they did grow on me for some inexplicable reason. So it did have a certain charm about it. Plus it actually had me laughing at the absurdity of the puzzles themselves, which is more than I can say for some other games as well.

I may try to take on Nibiru next which I also started and never finished. I've got to rest my hands first though. I think I'm getting carpal tunnel from all that alt-tabbing out of the game to get to the walkthrough!!
I must be weird then since i never had to use a walk-trough to finish it

Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #12

Haha, no Bruno, I don't think you're weird. As I've admitted I'm not very good a puzzling, especially puzzles that don't make a lot of sense to me. I play AG's mainly for the story, and this one did have an interesting premise. And even though I thought the puzzles were horrendous, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

And to show just what a glutton for punishment I have. I just downloaded the demo for Secret Files 2!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
This game is filled with the most inane convoluted puzzles I've seen since TLJ, which I also didn't like and never finished.
*faints*

*comes round*

Okay, I got one thing to say: go back behind your computer and restart TLJ!!! Honestly Secret Files I like but that's just 'cause it's my sort of game but TLJ is just simply one of the best games ever made. You go for story? Than you have to play TLJ!

Quote:
NOOOOOO!!!! Honestly don't do it! NiBiRu is crap! It's a huge load of junk! You go for story right? Than don't play NiBiRu, it's got a really crappy story without any good characters or a suitable ending! Honestly it's the game I regret most ever buying.

Bottom line: don't waste your time on NiBiRu and go play TLJ!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #14

Quote:
This game is filled with the most inane convoluted puzzles I've seen since TLJ, which I also didn't like and never finished.
Woah! I have absolutely no tolerance for ridiculous and illogical puzzles, but I loved The Longest Journey. There's only one puzzle in TLJ that approaches a Secret Files level of ridiculousness in my opinion and that is near the beginning of the game when retrieving the key from the train track.

I admit, I did use a walkthrough for about 3 other puzzles, but I didn't find them as illogical, and it certainly didn't ruin the game for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #15

I know TLJ is revered around here, (and pretty much everywhere), but I just couldn't get into it. The story didn't grab me initially, nor the puzzles. Of course that was my first venture into AG's, (and I'm not very good at puzzles anyway) so it could be that I wasn't used to the genre and how things work. I didn't play any AG's until 3 or 4 years ago, and I played it because of it's reputation.

I did play Dreamfall and and didn't enjoy that very much either. The combat and stealth in the game was awful, and I didn't really "get" the story until later portions of the game. Either because I didn't play TLJ first, or I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Either way I found controlling April a real pain in the derriere and surprised I got through to the end. And when I did, found the ending way to vague.

One of these days I'll try and replay the original.

As to Tunguska, I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did, but personally found it guilty of doing a lot of things I despise about the traditional AG.

And to Gray, I think I will pass on Nibiru. If you say the story is crap, I want nothing to do with it. I didn't think Tunguska was a great game, but it at least had an interesting story with a cohesive ending.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #16

Quote:
As to Tunguska, I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did, but personally found it guilty of doing a lot of things I despise about the traditional AG.
Same here. I hardly used a walk-through, but I had to resort to try everything with everything on everything and everyone. Figuring out what would seem logical didn't get me very far. Most of the time that is also the point where I stop playing, but with Tunguska I didn't. Maybe it was because I had fallen in love with Nina a little or I was to much intrigued with the story. And by that I mean the real story about the Tunguska incident. I've even read a book about it - The Tunguska Fireball by S. Verma - which I can recommend. It sums up every theory and research being done on the matter.
In the end I was a little disappointed that the game is only loosely based on the original story. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the game and get caught up in the story.