You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #241
Pixiehunter

Don't worry Andrea, shouldn't forget real life out there

(And it means I have some time left to play day 7 because my own real life wanted some attention from me this weekend )

But I am looking forward to all the info you will provide, it makes the game so much richer!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #242

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

DAY 7

My last ally laid to waste, I ran toward the light.
I prayed for one to change my path, to give me strength to fight...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #243

In Detail: Schloss Ritter

As many of you, all of you perhaps, already know, The Beast Within is my favorite game of the entire series. As such, Schloss Ritter couldn't be anything else than my favorite location of the entire adventure. The place literally oozes atmosphere and history, and Robert Holmes' orchestration beautifully highlight this gothic ambiance with a powerful, emotional score full of medieval reminiscences.

Even if in Sins of the Fathers we can only visit four locations within the castle, there are many things to do, many nooks and crannies to explore and plenty of little details to discover. In the main hall, for example, you can try showing Gerde Wolfgang's letter, Gunter's diary and the old, battered photo of Gabriel's grandfather. You can examine the rich tapestries, the lion head (you can even try and talk to it) and the dagger. In the chapel, aside from the pews, the red carpet, the altar and the panels, you can even talk to the stained glass up above. In the bedroom, on the other hand, you can look in the mirror (before and after the cut), examine the fire crackling in the hearth, examine the Ritter's poem above the door to the library, the china cabinet, the water basin, the view of the Alps outside the window, the bed.

Real-Life Locations: or the lack thereof...

I must admit that I was really tempted to talk about Bavary, his chivalric history and the real counterpart of Rittersberg, but, since I really want to do a community playthrough of The Beast Within, I figured that it was best to withhold these in-depth examinations until the proper time. Instead, I'll use this column to point out that, originally, the same overview of the castle that you can see in my previous post was to be used even in the second game (as testified by this promotional still): the art was later discarded, perhaps due to the similarities between this hand-drawing and the real Neuschwanstein, which is obviously featured in the game itself, or perhaps because it didn't blend well with the photorealistic look of Gabriel's second adventure.

Day 7 in the novel

"From the road the castle was impressive, even intimidating - gray rock forming a large square citadel, and towers with narrow windows that looked down protectively on the village below [...] The masonry of the castle was in deplorable condition: wide seams gaped between rocks in places, probably due to some catastrophic settling of the foundation that had never been repaired. The stones were mossy with age and worn with weathering so severe it hinged on ruinous. Perhaps it was this decay or perhaps it was something less tangible, but it was apparent that the family curse lie as heavily upon this place as the moss that coated the stones."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 305

In the novel, when Gabriel is visiting for the first time the chapel, he has a sort of extracorporeal experience. He's sitting in a pew, gazing in awe at the stained glass, until his mind looses itself and lulls him into a deep dream-like meditation. While in this trance, Gabriel has the impression of being in a car with his grandfather, Heinz Ritter. The exchange between the two is both meaningful and heartfelt, and I hope that you'll enjoy it.

"Hello, boy."
"Hello, Granddad."
Gabriel felt tears well up in his eyes. A large drop slid down his cheek and he fought to keep from blubbering like a baby.
"No need for that, son. Not at all, not at all."
But the voice was reasurring, loving, and not without a trace of tears of its own.
"Sorry I left you, son. I feel real bad about that."
"It's all right, Granddad."
"And your papa, too. He would have come himself, but he didn't know much about what you need now. That's my fault as well."
There was genuine regret in the old man's voice and Gabriel felt badly for him.
"I don't blame you for wantin' out, Granddad."
"You should. I was wrong, Gabriel. I never did escape it, and I missed this place terribly the rest of my life
[...] Do what I didn't do. Follow the path. I love you, Gabriel."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 317
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #244
Random

Wohoo, love day 7!

Thanks Andrea, I'm starting it right now!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #245
Stalker of Britain

So, I finished the game, since it's hard for me to find time everyday to play a little bit. I'll wait to post my comments until we're to that day, cause I had a few things to say about it.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #246

This is honestly the greatest adv game of all time. Some might argue for other titles, but this is what it's all about. Gripping storytelling, brooding atmosphere, and well-integrated puzzles. Every single aspect of design and gameplay clicks at all times.

Truly an interactive experience. I wish I could play along, but watching youtube playthroughs will suffice. I haven't played this game entirely in probably 7-8 years, but have played through at least 5 times.

I hope the newbies are enjoying it!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #247

Finished day 7 with 253 points.

When you think about it, it's actually day 7 and 8. I believe it's close to ten hour flight from New Orleans to Munich. Well, I suppose technically it's possible.

I always wondered how Gabriel is able to get on the plane with that ticket. Was airport security so lacks in the early 90's?

Snow in late June? Germany is in the same hemisphere as the US, and even if Rittersberg is supposedly very near the Alps, I think it's a big stretch.

It always looks like there's a flash photographer hiding in the bottom house outside the castle, but they're only snowflakes passing in front of the dark window.

The castle looks so different from "The Beast Within". GK2 has a more Renaissance style house, while GK1 is pure medieval. I do like how they kept the entrance and the stairs in the same place. I understand Gabriel and Gerda must have renovated it some, but still ... Gerda is quite a different character as well; more timid, naive perhaps, too gentle compared with the obstinacy she displays toward Grace in GK2.

A bit obsessive as well. Who's going to eat all those potatoes?

You know what I think set off the ending sequence? Not Gabriels actions; he just walked outside, slipped on a stone tile all greasy from those potato peels and banged his head against that lion bust. They should've built a kitchen instead of a chapel.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #248

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Schloss Ritter is great, I always wanted to explore it, as well as Rittersberg, more and longer in GK1.

Speaking of Gabriel's granddad, was it ever clarified why he moved from Germany to New Orleans, of all places? He wanted out of the Schattenjäger-business, so it's unlikely he went there to go after the Voodoo cult. I guess it was destiny or guidance from Above that brought him there?

Quote:
A bit obsessive as well. Who's going to eat all those potatoes?
Lol. I somehow thought Gerde was an elderly woman when I first played GK1, by the way.

Quote:
Snow in late June? Germany is in the same hemisphere as the US, and even if Rittersberg is supposedly very near the Alps, I think it's a big stretch.
I recall it was mentioned in a newspaper in one of the earlier days, something about this phenomenon puzzling scientists?

(By the way, I've been falling behind on this playthrough, since january turns about to be a lot busier for me than I had expected. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish the playthrough, but I've played GK1 often enough to be able continue participating in this thread. )
Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #249
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor View Post
Lol. I somehow thought Gerde was an elderly woman when I first played GK1, by the way.
Hehehe, me too!

Just finished day 7 with 246 points.

Man, I love music played in Schloss Ritter great hall!

Spoiler:
I laughed so hard after the schattenjager ritual, when the narrator says "something is happening!" and it's was just gerde, vacuuming. haha!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-27-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #250
Failed Birthday Elf

Finished day 7!

I always have somewhat mixed feelings about this day. I really like the atmosphere in New Orleans, all the doors appear to be shutting (and quite literally too as nothing is open!) and the memory of last night and the danger is still very real. Time to get out of New Orleans!

Arriving at Scloss Ritter is cool, but for some reason I really don't like the whole initiation ritual puzzle. For some reason it just doesn't seem to mean anything to me (the ceremony itself). Don't get me wrong, Gerda's hoover is funny and it is also a good plot device as it shows that Gabriel is committing to the idea of becoming a schattenjegar, taking a conscious decision to set his life going down a new (and more "worthy"?) path, facing up to the sins of the fathers. However...

Spoiler:
The ceremony itself doesn't make sense to me. Why cut yourself, your hair and then put a chamber pot full of salt on an altar etc?

These things just seem arbitrary to me, really the only point in the game where it feels like something added in just to fill it out a bit. I accept that what Gabriel does may not actually be what the ritual is, just his interpretations of the panels, but it just seems like quite a stupid thing to do and out of character for him. Perhaps it is just the weird circumstances of a big change in his life and a long and tiring flight...!

Maybe there is more on this in the novel which I haven't read for ages and will now re-read!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #251

The ritual is more a symbol of committment than a genuine beliefe in sympathetic magic on part of Gabriel. He's not the kind of guy so prone to believe in ceremonies and things-by-the-book, that's for sure. However, by going through the panels and trying hard to figure out what the ritual is supposed to be, he shows his new determination in following this path. We must not forget that he thinks that Mosely is dead - as well as Crash and Hartridge -, that Grace (and possibly Gran) is in grave danger and he has just discovered that Malia is the head of the voodoo cartel. He's certainly vulnerable at this point. Extremely vulnerable.

As for the steps of the ritual themselves, they actually make sense from a symbolic perspective: washing the hands, for example, is a common practice before religious rituals, and even the basins of holy water one can find in churches serve the purpose of metaphorically clean oneself's soul, like it happens during baptisms. Cutting a lock of hair - or completely shave the head - is often a symbol of love and/or submission to one another and, in religious matters, often symbolizes the submission to a greater power. Salt is another common item in religion: it is used for the consecration of churches, for example, and is generally tied with the concept of purity and wholeness, to the point that Wiccans and other Neo-Pagas often employ it for protection against evil influences, and as a tool against spirits and demons.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #252
M-E

I'm a bit behind, but I did pick the game up again since yesterday. Right now I'm, I guess, halfway of Day 6, so just a little bit of catching up to do.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #253
Failed Birthday Elf

@Andrea.

The points you make are excellent as always!

As I say, I do understand the symbolism of the ceremony in general, and I can see the points you make with respect to washing, cutting hair, salt etc. However it doesn't seem to me to add up to anything! Most of this game is very detailed and well researched, one of the great parts about it is that, while obviously not based on a true story, New Orleans and Voodoo items etc. seem very well represented and based on fact (he asserted blindly! )

At the voodoo "party in the park" at the end of day 6 they are clearly doing some weird things but I can see the overall purpose to it. Namely, they summon and worship Tetelo, their Loa "god". Here in the Schattenjegar initiation ceremony it is suddenly all becomes a bit airy-fairy with seemingly random actions, apparently directed at no-one and nothing which is rather out of character for good old Gabe! It seems to me to go against the grain of the solid base of most of the game.

Anyway, I'm really making a mountain out of a molehill here as I don't hate this part, it just seems incongruous with the rest of the game!

I'll shut up now!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #254

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Here in the Schattenjegar initiation ceremony it is suddenly all becomes a bit airy-fairy with seemingly random actions, apparently directed at no-one and nothing which is rather out of character for good old Gabe! It seems to me to go against the grain of the solid base of most of the game.
I agree the ritual seems somewhat random and unexplained in the game, especially considering the detail and historical background behind voodoo in GK1. As a religious (or specifically in this case: Roman Catholic) initiation ceremony however, the acts Gabriel needs to perform do actually make sense. The idea is, basically, that Gabriel is called upon to purify himself before God and his patron saint before making his vows as Schattenjäger, "...purify me, for I avow, to set my feet upon thy road...", as it reads in the poem.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Here in the Schattenjegar initiation ceremony it is suddenly all becomes a bit airy-fairy with seemingly random actions, apparently directed at no-one and nothing which is rather out of character for good old Gabe! It seems to me to go against the grain of the solid base of most of the game.
Yeah I think I also have to agree. I remember the first time I played the game I actually meandered around trying to look for clues on how to get the talisman and whatnot. Eventually I accidentally did one of the steps and he started talking about how it matched the stained glass

I would say that I think all those things you mentioned Andrea in relation to Gabe's vulnerability are great, though I wish it reflected in his character a little more. I know the actions of the ceremony say something towards this, but the way he still carries himself and jokes with himself and Gerde still suggest an extremely easy going nature which seems out of line with the events around him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his character, but at least in this day it would've been better to see his mood become more invested in the situation. It's because of this that, at the end of the day when
Spoiler:
he has the dream I was a bit surprised by his sudden commitment in the tone of his voice and seriousness he had towards the event. I've never really been able to appreciate this scene because of this drastic change

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #256

Well, I, for one, don't find the change of tone so appalling or disturbing, but this may be because I'm familiar with the novel, where Gabriel's inner turmoil is very well highlighted by his thoughts.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #257
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Well, I, for one, don't find the change of tone so appalling or disturbing, but this may be because I'm familiar with the novel, where Gabriel's inner turmoil is very well highlighted by his thoughts.
Wasn't the novel written AFTER the game had been released?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #258

...and just as you all get to the end of the playthrough, the game is released on GoG.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...CmoreStories.0
Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #259
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I would say that I think all those things you mentioned Andrea in relation to Gabe's vulnerability are great, though I wish it reflected in his character a little more. I know the actions of the ceremony say something towards this, but the way he still carries himself and jokes with himself and Gerde still suggest an extremely easy going nature which seems out of line with the events around him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his character, but at least in this day it would've been better to see his mood become more invested in the situation. It's because of this that, at the end of the day when
Spoiler:
he has the dream I was a bit surprised by his sudden commitment in the tone of his voice and seriousness he had towards the event. I've never really been able to appreciate this scene because of this drastic change
Personally I think the easy going nature & joking around is spot on even though he is committing to something big. To my eyes it is something inside Gabriel that is changing, a resolve is set to take up the mantle of his forefathers and commit to doing something "good" against "evil", which is a big change. However, the personality traits of the easy going exterior and wry sense of humour would not fall away immediately, if at all. Many people have this sort of exterior to help them deal with the harder internal things and this was already part of Gabe's nature.

We see later, in the dream, when Gabriel is "alone" so to speak, the bare bones of how he is really feeling and see the serious side, but I for one am glad that the charming rogueish (sp?) part of Gabriel goes absolutely nowhere!

In that regard, for me, this isn't so much of a sudden change as something that has been building for a while, which we have seen glimpses of as the game progresses day by day. This is the first time, however, Gabe is really confronted with a black and white "this is the situation, what are you going to do about it?", a serious and immediate test, and he reacts in kind as this "inner change" is laid bare before us!

Man I love this game!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Wasn't the novel written AFTER the game had been released?
Of course.