You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I installed with dosbox AND tried to bring the speed waaaay down (ctrl-f11, slow down emulation) but it still seemed to go fast. I'm sure there's something I've done wrong or overlooked
That is why I started writing these installers. They automatically setup the games with optimal settings for both DOSBox and the games themselves. They apply all relevant patches and known fixes. They make the use of DOSBox transparent and seamless -- the games start from a normal Windows shortcut, just like any native Windows program or game does. I include a small utility to easily change a few of the DOSBox settings to suit the user's tastes, like whether to start the game full screen or windowed. And for Vista/Win7 they use high rez icons for the shortcuts.

But mostly their advantage is that there is nothing to manually configure, takes no knowledge of DOS or DOSBox, with no need to manually select the hardware to be used nor any need to apply any patches.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #222

What is this, a game playthrough or a configure-your-system club?

Reading through the comments, I think we can say that GK is a very serious and intelligent game. Often the clues you need to solve a puzzle are pretty obscure and you really have to think about it to figure out the correct move. In retrospect it's all very logical, but I can't help but think how hard it must be for first timers.

I think I've been kinda spoiled by games where the solution is more often obviously delivered on a silver platter. I've come to dislike games with a high difficulty level, simply because I no longer have the time to spend ages trying to figure something out.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #223

Whereas GK is perfect and so on, the comic book kind of dissapointed me. What I really liked about that are the colours, but other than that, it's nothing special... Nice to know how all this talisman business came about of course, but I would prefer that to be somehow included into the game, like more elaborate journal, for example.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #224
Dreamfall Soon!

I got the game and have been playing like mad all week to catch up with you all. This play through is so awesome.

I just finished Day 6. I went a little into Day 7 too but I stopped myself (hard to do!) so I could play it through with all of you.

I last played this game probably about 15 years ago but when it first came out I played it many times. I had never played with voices before. Most are great but there are, of course, some that surprised me when they spoke because they sound nothing like I had imagined.

It's amazing how much this game stuck with me after 15 years. I didn't remember every detail about the game but I still remembered the solution to the hardest puzzles -
Spoiler:
the clock, the writing on the wall, the sekey madoule, using the mime to get rid of the cop
-- after all this time. I pretty much forget most games within 2 years of playing it (which is good because I can replay them) but this game is so good that I just never forgot.

Day 6 has a great ending but I can't wait to get into Day 7 --
Spoiler:
I stopped playing at Schloss Ritter so I wouldn't get too far ahead of you guys but I'm so stoked to have this new place to explore.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:03 AM   #225

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

If everyone is OK with it, I will post Day 7 either this late afternoon or tomorrow morning. Let me know!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #226

Ready.
This game is really unsurpassed in building up the tension and slowly pulling you in. I like day 6 also because it has two real puzzles.
Spoiler:
Enjoyed the drum puzzle very much, but the writing on the tomb was too much asked again. I knew want I wanted (more or less), but couldn't find the exact wording. Appearently I'm not the only one, cause my manual has an insert that spells it out. But it didn't work! I had to resort to UHS, where this task was done on day 5 btw, to find out the actual phrasing was a bit different.

But apart from that no problems (not even at the police station).
Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #227
Random

Ready!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #228

ready XD
Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #229
Stalker of Britain

I've just started Day 6, (I know-I'm behind) and what the heck was in the store at the beginning?!

And I'm having a hard time understanding why I do certain actions, like what to write on the tomb...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 AM   #230

Then maybe I'll wait until this evening to update the thread with the next block, so that everyone can safely finish.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #231

I'm ready for Day 7 but I'm in no hurry, so anytime is good for me.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #232
The Quiet One

.ydaeR
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #233
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding why I do certain actions, like what to write on the tomb...
Have you figured out already, or need help?

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #234
Stalker of Britain

I've got a free day ahead of me-no homework, no work, no Louie, so I'm hoping to get caught up. Thanks for the offer Denaron, but I think I can handle it. I'm horrible at looking up the solutions.

EDIT:Okay, so I'm caught up now, and since I don't know when I'll have more time, I'm going to play ahead. Could someone tell me what it was that was left for Gabriel at the beginning of Day 6 taht freaked Grace out so much? I didn't see it properly, it being so pixulated. Please, can someone tell me?
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 01-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #235

Quote:
I've got a free day ahead of me-no homework, no work, no Louie, so I'm hoping to get caught up. Thanks for the offer Denaron, but I think I can handle it. I'm horrible at looking up the solutions.
If you manage to write that message without help you're much smarter than I am. Not that I doubt that.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #236
Random

Quote:
Could someone tell me what it was that was left for Gabriel at the beginning of Day 6 taht freaked Grace out so much? I didn't see it properly, it being so pixulated. Please, can someone tell me?
Spoiler:
It was a gutted chicken, some kind of voodoo "curse". We call it around here as "macumba", hehehe.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #237
Stalker of Britain

Oh belive me, I'm not. I had no idea what to do to finish Day 6, and looked at a walkthrough, and it said what to write. I only knew which letters on the notes to use.

In Day 7, when
Spoiler:
talking to Wolfgang, he says that the Shattenjagers have been around since, and then he stops. I was very interested in what event started the Ritter Shattenjagers. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #238

Quote:
In Day 7, when
Spoiler:
talking to Wolfgang, he says that the Shattenjagers have been around since, and then he stops. I was very interested in what event started the Ritter Shattenjagers. Any ideas?
I'm afraid you will have to play GK3 for that answer

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #239
Dreamfall Soon!

Just finished Day 7. Am I too far ahead? I love this chapter because there is this whole new place to explore.

Spoiler:
The dream at the end is so awesome. I was riveted through the whole thing. It's a very poignant moment that Gabriel says he is ready to let go of part of himself to become a Schattenjager.

The only thing that I was stuck on was:

Spoiler:
I thought that Panel 3 meant that there was supposed to be salt water in the bowl (not just salt) and I was running all over the place trying to find something to put the snow in. I had to finally look at the walkthrough only to learn that I didn't need the water! Oh but I loved how Gabriel thinks whatever he did worked and it's just Gerta vacuuming!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #240

Sorry folks, but yesterday I really hadn't the time to put on the info for Day 7. I will make amend today

Argh! Hectic time!