You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #201

Graphic novel time! That's where I'm off to now

EDIT: I took out the first half of the post because I realised I was talking about a completely different character to what was mentioned

And man - what a graphic novel! That was even better than I had imagined. Such great background material. Tetelo is scary But an interesting take on the slavery of African's in relation to Tetelo's father. Is their actual myth that suggests this kind of thing anywhere in voodoo history?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance

Last edited by Sughly; 01-21-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #202
Failed Birthday Elf

Finished day 6 already!

Firstly, thank you so much for your posts introducing each day Andrea which are interesting and really get me in the mood to crack on! It's really interesting and useful to have the tie in information between game and novel, as whilst I have read the novel it was a fair while ago.

Day 6 is a great day, with some pretty tough puzzles
Spoiler:
In my opinion at least, the writing on the wall and tracker into the old Sekey Madoule and getting the right paraphanalia on to get into the St John's Eve Voodoo Party!
but still remaining mostly logical and clear and always driving the story on, not just incidental obstacles that distract attention away from the story.

Gabriel is getting deeper and deeper into this as every day goes by and, as Andrea had said, he is beginning to take responsibility for "the sins of the fathers". The way this comes together with his feelings for Malia and the previous Gunter/Tetelo relationship is really a masterstroke. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself here!

Something I noticed about getting into Moseley's Office

Spoiler:
I honestly couldn't count how many times I have played this game and every time I have had to wait until Frick is dozing off at the desk after getting his Beignets to get past him. However, this time I managed to get into the office while he was out getting the Beignets. I didn't even know you could do that as I have tried it before but never managed it, Frick always came back in and caught me! Anyone else managed this or is it something obvious that I've just never managed before?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #203

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Intense, this issue is a known one, probably related to a speed problem occurring on modern machines.

Spoiler:
You are supposed to get in while Frisk is outside with the beignet vendor - hence the convincing of said vendor to return to his previous spot - but the speed of modern machines can make this action impossible, so that a player has to wait for Frisk to fall asleep.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #204
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Something I noticed about getting into Moseley's Office
Spoiler:
I have a modern computer and I had no problem with sneaking in while Frick is buying a bunch of beignets (4!!). Perhaps you should make Gabe walk faster, in the options screen? In most games everything and everybody will be faster when you change the settings, not in this one. Very handy.

I have been very quiet till now, had a lot of catching-up to do. RL and all that. But I have finished Day 6 and will post later.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #205
Failed Birthday Elf

Hmmm, that's strange as I am playing on a modern machine, didn't change the speed and was able to get past while he was outside! I suppose when I have played it before I had changed the speed all the way up which meant I couldn't?

I'm just confusing myself now!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #206
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Hmmm, that's strange as I am playing on a modern machine, didn't change the speed and was able to get past while he was outside! I suppose when I have played it before I had changed the speed all the way up which meant I couldn't?
Eh... I think what we have here is a classic misunderstanding. I meant that Gabe will walk faster but Frick will be outside just as long as before, which means you have more time to enter the office.

Quote:
I'm just confusing myself now!
If it's any consolation, I'm confused too now.

Last edited by Fien; 01-21-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #207
Random

Finally, I've finished the day 6 with 214 points. I don't remember now if there's optional points, or we are going to finish it with all 342?

About the mosely office:

Spoiler:
I have had to wait frick fall asleep, too. I got stuck on this part for so long that I needed to check the spoil. I was pretty sure we had to lock the door when frick leaves the room, lol.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #208
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Eh... I think what we have here is a classic misunderstanding. I meant that Gabe will walk faster but Frick will be outside just as long as before, which means you have more time to enter the office.
No, I completely understand what you're saying but I don't understand why I've never been able to get past before, even though I had the speed up full, whereas this time I didn't put the speed up full but I did get past!

To be honest I call "operator error" on myself on this one!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #209
The Quiet One

Huh. I never knew that you could wait for Frick to fall asleep. How long does it take usually?

Either way, I've never had any problems with that part, both using the Windows Installer and DOSBox.

I find it strange how officer Franks doesn't see Gabriel through the window.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #210
Stalker of Britain

Ugh!! I'm a little behind, still on Day 5, but hopefully I can catch up tonight.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #211
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post

I find it strange how officer Franks doesn't see Gabriel through the window.
For some reason I always assumed that it was a one way window, with on the outside a mirror, and on the inside a window, so Franks can't see into the office but only look in the mrirror, whereas Gabe can look to the foyer through the window from inside the office (you are talking about the window in Moseley's officie, right?).

Starting day 6 right now. And it starts off good I know it scared the hell out of me the first time I played it, so much that I did what I usually do when all of a sudden something creepy happens: I look away. So in my first playthrough I never actually saw what was lying on the floor because the inset had already gone by the time I got over the shock and looked properly again
Old 01-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #212
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Huh. I never knew that you could wait for Frick to fall asleep. How long does it take usually?
Spoiler:
Not much, 10 or 15 seconds maybe. Actually, he don't really fall asleep, just a quick nap, but it's enough time to enter in mosely office, hehe. I think it's just an alternative if you were slow, and didn't make it to the office while Frick was out.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-21-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #213
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
For some reason I always assumed that it was a one way window, with on the outside a mirror, and on the inside a window, so Franks can't see into the office but only look in the mrirror, whereas Gabe can look to the foyer through the window from inside the office (you are talking about the window in Moseley's officie, right?).
Uh-uh. I was referring to the window where you can see Officer Franks buying beignets from the vendor guy.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #214
Pixiehunter

Maybe they are just too busy buying beignets?

Anyway, just finished day 6, and still love it. All the puzzles in this day make sense and are perfectly integrated. I just love
Spoiler:
the writing on the tomb puzzle. Not only do you need to know exactly what you want, you also have to deduce the missing letters in the voodoo code. One odd thing is that I believe that in my previous playthrough I had to wait until the caretaker had moved to another screen (else either the narrator would tell me to wait for that or the caretaker himself would complain, can't remember which, but now I could do it with him being in the same screen...

Then the second part....
Spoiler:
the bayou. Usually I am a fervent opponent of mazes in which the orientation seems to change in every new scene, but for this one I make an exception because you have a perfect other way to orient. I actually like using the tracker. (I do thing it a bit odd that you have to use the tracker on the bayou, took me a while to find that out, although I knew exactly what to do, but that's a minor flaw.

I also remember in my first playthrough that I had forgotten to paint the snake on Gabe's chest, which is a bit annoying, because then I thought it was something that you only find out after having died first, but now I do think that it makes sense that you should get it on you before going to the bayou, because of what Crash told you about it.

Also love how this day reveals even more of the mystery, and yet keeps on creating more questions.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #215

Just finished day 6.
Here are my thoughts about it:
Spoiler:

I like some things about this day. The atmosphere is incredible, both the beginning and the ending of the day are masterpieces. I really enjoyed the rada drums puzzle, but i don't like the tomb code message. I always found it a bit hard... you have enough clues to get it right but i always get stuck when i get to that point XD.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #216

The Day 6 timer issue is fixed with both Endroz's Windows installer as well as my DOSBox installer. In fact the DOSBox solution doubly fixes it with a patch by NewRisingSun and by the use of DOSBox itself.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #217

Yeah I definately screwed something up here with the way I installed it. I was playing Dosbox with no other installers or patches, and that bloody Frick went out and in before I had a chance to even move the mouse

Even the other option, waiting for him to
Spoiler:
fall asleep (I suppose it's a spoiler?)
lasted but a second, and took me many many MANY attempts before I found the half-second window of opportunity.

All the comic-style video clips seem slightly sped up too - I don't think I've ever had a playthrough of the game without it being this way, unfortunately. Next time I'll look into this patch...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #218

I actually get slowdown while playing the game with Dosbox. Not my computers fault, that's for sure.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
I actually get slowdown while playing the game with Dosbox.
Bad idea and totally not needed. You can set the speed of DOSBox through the config file. You can even get speeds as slow as that of an 8086. Besides, the DOSBox installer applies a patch for the speed issues for GK1.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Bad idea and totally not needed. You can set the speed of DOSBox through the config file. You can even get speeds as slow as that of an 8086. Besides, the DOSBox installer applies a patch for the speed issues for GK1.
I installed with dosbox AND tried to bring the speed waaaay down (ctrl-f11, slow down emulation) but it still seemed to go fast. I'm sure there's something I've done wrong or overlooked