You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #181

Woo comic, comic, comic! I'm waiting ever so patiently. I've had this for a few months now and it still remains to be read. But I've waited this long, I can wait until Day 6

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #182

My day 5 was almost as short as day 4. Maybe I have not done everything yet...
The game let me
Spoiler:
write a voodoo message, but I had no idea what to write so I just went home and the day ended.
And now I see that my manual has an insert that spells out what to do there. Do all versions have that (I have the Sierra Originals, that didn't come with a comic BTW)?

Was I supposed to do the above on day 5, or is that for later?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #183

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Spoiler:
As far as I know, the only message you have to write on Marie Laveau's tomb has to be written on it on Day 6

About the completion of Day 5, there are only two over-arching actions that must be completed to trigger the end of the day:

Spoiler:
1. Convice Mosely to re-open the Voodoo Murders Case
2. Ask Grace to research Rada Drums only if you haven't already done so on Day 4
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #184

About the drums ...

Spoiler:
is it possible to ask Grace for rada research on day 4? You can only do that after you receive the topic from Crash, and the day always ends after that. I guess you could ask him about the drums, then leave, ask Grace for research, then go back to Crash.

Some valid comments here about Gabriel's motivations. I guess I've played this game so many times, I'm doing it on automatic without really thinking about how to solve the puzzles, or about the clues that make you solve them in a particular fashion.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #185

Hey everyone!

Is tomorrow a good day for everyone to proceed?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #186
Pixiehunter

Fine by me. I can't wait to see the story unfold again
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #187
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Fine by me. I can't wait to see the story unfold again
I'm with Luna!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-19-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #188

Ready to go.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #189

ready
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 AM   #190

Me too.

I spend the days 4 and 5 talking to everybody about everything It is sort of funny, how you can show Dr John the veve, the mask, murder's photo etc. Beats me why he doesn't

Spoiler:
just kill Gabriel next time he sees him in the Bayou. He wanted to kill him in the Museum, so why not try later?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #191

Well I guess I've missed the boat on this one. I would have liked to participate, but I couldn't be bothered at this stage. Fortunately, I've had a GK1 rerun about a month ago, so everything is still pretty fresh in my mind.

I'll wait for everyone to reach the end before I'll add my two cents. I'm looking forward to discussions on the plot and reading the first-time players' assessments.

In the mean time, I hope all the newbies here will thoroughly enjoy their sessions with GK1. It is my favorite of the series, and, as with each time I play through it once a year, is like returning to an old friend.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 AM   #192
Failed Birthday Elf

Ready and waiting for Day 6!

Also I agree with the Manly One that it is like returning to an old friend, still not lost any of its charm/interest years later!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #193

DAY 6

And then the night became as day, I glimpsed nature's reddest claw!
The face of fear looked back at me, as I gazed into the maw.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #194

In Detail: The Journal of Gunter Ritter

In the novel, Gabriel reads Gunter's journal on Day 6. After finding the dismembered chicken in the shop, he tranquillizes Grace that he'll leave town soon for his own sake and then retires in the back of St. George's to read the diary in anticipation of the evening. As you will recall, he was in half a mind to infiltrate a Voodoo celebration on St. John's Eve, but it is the realization that he has to find the long-lost Ritter Talisman, that eventually convince him beyond the point of reasoning that he must sneak in one of the sect's most secretive ritual. Before this point, Gabriel was in for his novel, for the sake of his own curiosity and for Malia, sure, but it is by reading Gunter's journal that Gabriel realizes that being in is his responsibility.

Gabriel was the only one who had the big picture now. Perhaps it was a second chance, or perhaps it was only the final crushing blow. He didn't know how many Ritters there had been when Gunter killed himself, but he knew he himself was close to the last one now. Just him and one very old man. The buck stops here. Yes. [...] Rooster or no rooster, there was no way he ould back off now. They'd never let him. He had to beat it, die, or carry it with him forever. If the journal said anything, it said that much.

In the novel, Gabriel calls Wolfgang on Day 5. When Wolfgang fills him in on his role as a Schattenjager, Gabriel's reaction is that of mild disbelief. Moreover, he isn't really that interested in history: is the case at hand that drives his attention, in a manner very similar to The Beast Within's dynamic. After the conversation with his uncle, Gabriel thought:

[The discovery of his heritage] simply left an empty space in his mind, a space waiting for some reaction, some emotion to fill it up, but the reaction didn't come.

Now, the reaction, after reading Gunter's diary, finally comes: responsibility. It is the first time in the novel, and in the game, that Gabriel stands up from his rocking chair and stops looking at the life passing by. Now, he consciously decides that he must act. And quick.

One can certainly argue about this point, I know, but I always found the novel's pacing more appropriate to Gabriel's psychology, and that's why I told you to wait till Day 6 to read the graphic novel, which basically recounts what Gabriel's reading in the journal while he waits, with bated breath, for St. John's Eve.

Real-Life Locations: Bayou St. John

Bayou St. John is one of Marie Laveau's allegedly favorite spot for her Voodoo rituals. In this awesome gallery, you can find many images of the Bayou today and, first and foremost, and incredible collection of vintage postcards from the area that I found absolutely gorgeous. Edgar Degas lived in the Bayou, and depicted it in one of his painting, dating to 1835: The Suffering of the City of New Orleans. The painting captures pretty well, in my opinion, the general feeling of Day 6, which is, without a doubt, one of the most emotionally intense days of the entire adventure.

Day 6 in the novel

"He could feel the energy like a blast of hot air on his face, the hypnotic compulsion of the drums, the coiling heat and sensual release of the dance. To be young and muscled and beautiful and strong, to move, to move, for the gods and alongside the gods, even as a vessel to the gods. He wanted to, needed to move, wanted to fall into that energy and feed off it and be fodder for it. Power"

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 278

Personal note: the one above is undoubtedly my favorite quote from the book. Wonderful.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #195
Random

Noooooooo!

Man, what happned to my save files?!

All of a sudden, they vanished!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #196

I had that happen once, don't remember which game, but it was because I'd started it as administrator, so I hope you might still retrieve them.

Finished day 6 with 222 points. I just love the ending cinematics. Gabriel looks like Rutger Hauer in one screen.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #197

Have you tried changing the directory? Chances are that the game is searching them in the wrong directory.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #198
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Have you tried changing the directory? Chances are that the game is searching them in the wrong directory.
Yes, I have tried that but didn't worked. Actually, I think I know how it happened. I've changed the OS compatibility and color settings in order to play the game in full screen (without bugged colors), with no success. When I changed back those settings, all my save files disappeared.

Now what?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #199
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I had that happen once, don't remember which game, but it was because I'd started it as administrator, so I hope you might still retrieve them.
Yeahh, same thing here. I've changed the administrator option and it worked. Thank you very much dude!

I've just started day 6!

Last edited by Denaron; 01-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #200

No problem, glad it worked!

Spoiler:
Can I vent some steam about the bayou? It's only game mechanics, so I don't think it's spoilerish but just in case ...

Navigating the bayou isn't really a pain, but having the narrator make a comment every other screen is. The screen would load, I'd see which direction Gabriel has to go, I click the side of the screen, and then Gabriel just stops in the middle. Why? Well, because with my click I only interrupted the narrator dialogue line, so I have to click again.

It's a nice puzzle, though not that realistic navigating unless you believe that Gabe skipped some scenes and even turns corners here and there, or that the camera angle is suddenly reversed or something