You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #141
Failed Birthday Elf

I think the St George's books theme was used that way afterwards (i.e. GK2 & 3) but originally the main theme was the "Gabriel's theme" as per this website.

Having said that the St George's books theme is really a variation on the main theme anyway so take your pick!

EDIT: Please feel free to correct this anyone if i'm mistaken!

In relation to the clock...

Spoiler:
I think the reason you could move it was so you could rummage through the chest, although from memory there wasn't anything of interest in there anyway?

I thought that you couldn't play with the clock if it was on the chest although I may well be wrong...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 AM   #142

Wow this is one of my favourite games. I read a lot of interesting stuff on this thread... i'll think i'll replay the game following the thread and joining you on the later days if i can XD.

p.s.
first post... nice to meet you!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:17 AM   #143
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorld View Post
p.s.
Hehe, nice to meet you and welcome to the AG community dude!

Where's Andrea?

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorld View Post
p.s.
Welcome to the party! I'm glad you enjoyed the thread so far. Please do join us eventually, if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Where's Andrea?
He said he was going to be busy as hell this week. I'm sure he'll show up this weekend though. After all, Day 4 is imminent.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #145
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
He said he was going to be busy as hell this week. I'm sure he'll show up this weekend though. After all, Day 4 is imminent.
Ohh, I understand. Let's wait for him then!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #146

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Yeah, here I am.

Yes, this has been a very busy week, but I promise: tomorrow, early in the afternoon (Italian time, of course), I will post the information for Day 4 and Day 5. Day 4 is really brief, so there's little use in dedicating a whole block only to this short chapter.

If there have been some questions that needed an answer on my part, and I didn't see them, point me at them and you'll have the answers tomorrow, with the block itself!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #147

Finished day 3!
I misclicked and used the take-icon on the door in the voodoo shop. What other game would give an appropriate response?
The cabrit sans cor thing
Spoiler:
is thought to never really happen, so when Willy saw that photo, I wasn't surprised his shield dropped for a second (with the hindsight of having played day 3).

And I still remembered that clockpuzzle from 14 years ago, so I got it over with on day 1 .That one is clued to vaguely for me.

Got stuck again though. I still don't really understand why
Spoiler:
Gabriel wants to buy that mask. I didn't see any reason for that. In effect he paid $100 for a bottle of oil. At least that was what I was trying to obtain.
Or did I miss something.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #148
Pixiehunter

Actually
Spoiler:
the reason why you want that mask becomes clear later on in the game, because you will need it. But I agree, the way it is now is that the game wants you to get the oil before day 3 can end, so you are right, in fact it seems at the at moment of day 3 that you need to pay 100 dollar for some oil...the timing is a bit off...

Funny that I never really noticd that until you brought it up...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #149

Yeah, I agree with both of you, HandsFree and Luna. I never noticed that until now either. Unless we're all missing something... somewhere. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything that would justify the need to actually buy that mask before Day 3 ends.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #150

Installed the game a couple of days ago because I wanted to play a game with a enjoyable story and heard Gabriel Knight had a dark and adult storyline. By chance I stumbled across this thread and it looks like my timing couldn't be better. I just finished day 3 today and I am loving this game. I usually have a hard time getting into older games, but this one captured me from the start. At first Gabriel's voice bothered me, but it has grown on me now. Also I remember thinking "Hey...doesn't Grace sound like Doug's wife on King of Queens? Nah...couldn't be" and then ran to IMDB to find out it was . And also Tim Curry and Mark Hamill, very impressive. Looks like I'll be playing alongside you all.

That clock in the attic annoyed me so bad. I thought it was the trunk underneath it I was supposed to look inside so it went like:

Open trunk - Truck lid is blocked by the clock.
Move clock - Gabriel doesn't want to rearrange the attic.
Move trunk - Trunk is too heavy.
GAHHHHHH!!! Help me Gran! Of course it didn't get any better once I examined the clock itself.

Went and ordered a copy of the book too. Also it seems I registered for this forum awhile back and completely forgot about it, weird.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM   #151

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with both of you, HandsFree and Luna. I never noticed that until now either. Unless we're all missing something... somewhere. I'll look into it and see if I can find anything that would justify the need to actually buy that mask before Day 3 ends.
Thankfully for us, the book comes to our help. Chapter Three, in fact, explains this sudden turn of events with a carefully planned sequence that was cut from the game (I don't know why). After Gabriel takes the bracelet mold from Madame Cazanoux, a strange mist starts clouding New Orleans, and he ponders:

What did he want it [the bracelet] for anyway? Did he imagine that if he wore it into the Voodoo shop, it might be some secret sign to loosen M'sieu Walker's lips? Or was it going to enlighten Mosely? A snake bracelet claimed by a paranoid schizophrenic to have belonged to her Voodoo-inner-circle grandmother? [...] But despite this mulling, Gabriel still felt the bracelet was important.

Gabriel then goes to the bookstore to search the yellow pages for some jeweler "who sounded desperate, gullible, or both". And when Bruno appears, Gabriel sells his father's painting because he needs the money to hire said jeweler and convince him to create a replica of Cazanoux's bracelet. As he drives through the city the thought represents itself: what was he going to do with a silver bracelet? Why did he feel it was important? And then, almost if as his bike had a mind of its own, he finds himself plunging into the mist toward Dixieland Drugstore. Hartridge's words resound in his mind:

The use of totems, or animal masks and markings was not uncommon in the original African ceremonies. Now, though, all but the older sects have abandoned this practice.

Older sects, eh? When he had talked to Hartridge and shown him the vévé, Hartridge told him:

It's not from any sect I recognize. Some of these symbols are old, very old. [...] Certain sects are dedicated to the darkest Loa, such as the Cult des Morts.

Hartridge also confirmed to him that St. John's Eve was approaching (June 23rd), and that St. John's Eve was a catholic feast day modelled on an old ancient rite from the Sun Worshippers, whose symbol (a wheel within a wheel) recurred on the vévé Gabriel had copied.

So, basically, after putting all these information together, Gabriel conceived the idea of sneaking into the secret sect's meeting on St. John's Eve (given that such a meeting existed, though: he can't be sure of it just yet). And this is why he wanted the crocodile mask and the bracelet done.

Stay tuned for the next block later today!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #152

Awesome post Andrea. Man with all these little book tidbits I really have to pull mine out of the boxset I bought and give it a read. Also still waiting on the queue for when the graphic novel is relevant, though I'm sure Andrea you're still aware of this

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #153

DAY 4

I spoke to one who smelled of Death, he gave to me his ears,
And crosses that were marked were made into a veil of tears

DAY 5

The road was blocked, the truth was shunned, the white flag has been raised.
Reversal cost me all I had, and everything I'd braved.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #154
Random

Wohooo, day 4 is available now!

Starting it. Creepy guy over the window! (Scared smile)

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #155

In Detail: The Overlook and the Cathedral

If you're searching for some really interesting historical information about New Orlean's most famous landmark, the St. Louis Cathedral, the best place to visit is not the church itself, but the park's Overlook. Here, with the aid of the Eye Icon, you will learn the history of the plaza - which was a parade ground in the days of the French, and favorite spot for public executions during the Spanish time -, the strange (for a round forum) origin of the name Jackson Square, the geographical relevance of the Mississippi southern lay, the history of the mounted statue at the center of the square, the name of the buildings sorrouding the cathedral and, obviously, the history of the church itself.

Inside the cathedral, have you received all the available blessings Gabriel can elicit with his confessions? Have you tried to steal the money from the statues? Have you looked inside the mirror in the back room? Finally,

Spoiler:
You can actually talk with Crash about everything two times. Just save the Hounfour topic for last

In Detail - Part Two: Voodoo Museum

The French Quarter's Voodoo Museum is another favorite location of mine. I already gave you a description of the place from the novel, but in-game the place is just as rich. You can look at almost everything and elicit different responses for every item on display, while some of them also reward you for a certain creativity. Let's see!

Have you used the fan's switch (even before Day 5)? Have you rubbed the wishing stump? How many times? Three's a charm! Have you tried to steal the donations? Have you tried to touch the snake under Dr. John's eyes? Have you showed Dr. John the message you copied from Marie Laveau's tomb? And what about the victim's photo Mosely gave you?

Spoiler:
Oh, and just for the fun of it, try dying in Day 5, when the snake is trying to strangle you!

Real-Life Locations: St. Louis Cathedral

St. Louis Cathedral is one of the oldest cathedral in the United States. Built in 1718 and dedicated to the King of France, the church was subsequently destroyed two times (one by the Great New Orleans Fire of 1788) and the final building was founded in 1789, the year of the French Revolution. However, the cathedral was heavily restructured around the half of the XIX century, and little of the original building remains today to be seen, save from the bell tower. Continuing the troubling history of the building, in 1909 the church was quite severely damaged by a dynamite bomb, and in 1915 the cathedral once again suffered damage from a hurricane.

A detailed history of New Orleans' churches can be found at this url, although I recommend the reading only if you are really interested in architecture and modern history (Grace would certainly like the thorough and detailed article). Here, on the other hand, you'll find a nice picture gallery that shows how amazingly detailed (for the time, of course) the in-game depiction of the cathedral is. The official French Quarter site has also a little history of the building and an interesting and often atmopsheric gallery dedicated to the church (if you visit the site, the article about the Dark Side of the French Quarter is really fascinating too).

As a curiosity, St. Louis Cathedral also features in the New Orleans' Vampire Tour, thanks to a marvelous scene in Interview with the Vampire. Furthermore, given the dark and often struggling history of the building, St. Louis Cathedral is often rumored to be haunted, and here you can read about the ghosts of Pére Antoine and Pére Dagobert, about the strange sightings atop the Bell Tower, the ghost in the organ loft, the ghost of Madame LaLaurie and - surprise! - the ghost of Marie Laveau! Here's an excerpt to whet your appetite:

One local woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that she observed the ghost of Marie Laveau praying in the first row to the left of the altar. She watched as the ghost made the sign of the cross, rose to her feet, and disappeared into the shadows of the vestibule – lost from sight in a flare of sunlight as the main door opened. The woman immediately went to the pew where, she said, she felt a chill where the ghost had been. To her astonishment and never-ending pleasure, the woman discovered a worn rosary in the crux of the pew. Looking every bit like it came from another century – nothing modern about it – the woman immediately grabbed it...

Day 4 in the novel

"Gabriel sank back on his heels into the aisle and leaned against the side of the pew. His gaze found the stained-glass windows. The Good Shepard gazed back at him, crook in hand, sheep grazing peacefully in the paradise of green hills beyond. Gabriel closed his eyes. Take care of him, he prayed awkwardly. To whom the plea was offered, he didn't know. To whatever it was that was out there - hopefully something with an aspect of tenderness like one in the window beyond."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 171

Day 5 in the novel

"Things were going slow now. Despite the darkness of the room, he could feel his vision going darker still, a darkness that bloomed from his mind like ink from an octopus, and spread through his nervous system. Every action seemed weighted, every second infinite. And he had only seconds now, he knew."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 198

Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #156

As a very personal note, Day 4 is one of my favorite days of the whole adventure - because it is sad, and harsh. Because it is the first time me and Gabriel together touched with our bare hands the real horror of the Voodoo sect, a cold, blood-less horror that has more to do with panic and terror, than with dolls and liquids and snakes. It goes without saying that Crash is a character I'm really attached to: he's wounded, and damaged, almost broken. He's an unwilling scapegoat, a victim washed ashore by an impetuous river, and his tragic end is perhaps one of the highest moment of the entire adventure.

On the contrary, I'm not really fond of Day 5, which I found better paced in the novel than the game

Anyway, I'll leave this block up for the entire week-end and Monday too. So, share your thoughts and we'll move on first thing Tuesday!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #157

Wow!! Awesome links and background information, Andrea. It makes the game so much more fun than if I were playing it on my own.

And thank you so much for that book excerpt and explanation on the crocodile mask. It was driving me nuts!
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #158

You're welcome!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #159
Random

Quote:
Wow!! Awesome links and background information, Andrea. It makes the game so much more fun than if I were playing it on my own.
I second that!

Man, the day 4 is really short.

Day 5:

Spoiler:
Wow, the Hartridge death was so unpredictable, I remember the first time I've seen that scene my jaw dropped , creepy!

Last edited by Denaron; 01-16-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 AM   #160
Life and times of...

Gah, I wish I would've been able to join in, this was just like the last time with GK1 and just like GK3 too Oh well, maybe I'll do a postponed playthrough just to enjoy Andrea's wonderful insights...

(It'll be like a multiplayer game, when everyone's left. So you're there in an empty map running around for a while, thinking what fun the others had)