You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #161
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Spoiler:
Wow, the Hartridge death was so unpredictable, I remember the first time I've seen that scene my jaw dropped , creepy!
Yeah I know!
Spoiler:
In my first playthrough, when I walked into his office, I all of a sudden got that eerie feeling that said 'something is not quite right', and that Hartridge might have met the same fate as Crash, but before that, I could not have expected it.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #162
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Yeah I know!
Spoiler:
In my first playthrough, when I walked into his office, I all of a sudden got that eerie feeling that said 'something is not quite right', and that Hartridge might have met the same fate as Crash, but before that, I could not have expected it.
Spoiler:
Yeah, all these deaths were very intriguing for me during my first playthrough. If my memory doesn't fail, our friend mosely, unfortunately, will join them soon.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 01-17-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #163

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Hi all! I haven't posted much lately, last week has been very busy.

The Voodoo-lecture on Day 3 is one of my favorite scenes of the game. During my first playthrough, the first thing I remember doing was checking out Gabriel's recorder to see if the part of the lecture Gabriel slept through was on it... To only hear his snoring was disappointing, but at least I got to talk to Hartridge after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
Least favourite is of course Grandma
She is like the most dull person ever. Nothing she says has any bearing on the plot and with things like "Be careful of the dust" she is at her most sophisticated....
Lol, I love Grandma Knight; she kinda reminds me of my own Grandma. I love her stories, and what she shares of the Knight family history really adds depth to Gabriel's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorld View Post
Wow this is one of my favourite games. I read a lot of interesting stuff on this thread... i'll think i'll replay the game following the thread and joining you on the later days if i can XD.

p.s.
first post... nice to meet you!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Day 4 in the novel

"Gabriel sank back on his heels into the aisle and leaned against the side of the pew. His gaze found the stained-glass windows. The Good Shepard gazed back at him, crook in hand, sheep grazing peacefully in the paradise of green hills beyond. Gabriel closed his eyes. Take care of him, he prayed awkwardly. To whom the plea was offered, he didn't know. To whatever it was that was out there - hopefully something with an aspect of tenderness like one in the window beyond."
Nice! That's a rather unfamiliar side of Gabriel... I like it.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #164
Pixiehunter

Finished day 4 and 5, and now the game is starting to get really interesting.

Not only do so many things happen, the athmosphere also clearly thickens. I totally agree with Andrea, who words it pefectly:
Quote:
As a very personal note, Day 4 is one of my favorite days of the whole adventure - because it is sad, and harsh. Because it is the first time me and Gabriel together touched with our bare hands the real horror of the Voodoo sect, a cold, blood-less horror that has more to do with panic and terror, than with dolls and liquids and snakes. It goes without saying that Crash is a character I'm really attached to: he's wounded, and damaged, almost broken. He's an unwilling scapegoat, a victim washed ashore by an impetuous river, and his tragic end is perhaps one of the highest moment of the entire adventure.
All of a sudden things are getting more creepy. It feels like things are getting really serious now.
Spoiler:
The feeling that they are constantly watching you, with the number of rada drummers increasing, the feeling that they are always just one step ahead, with Hartridge being killed just before he could tell you the origin of the vévé, the constant feelings of threat, with the fortune teller, of course the sudden attempt on your life with the snake...

For those people who know my preferences in games, it comes to no surprise that day 5 is a favorite day
Spoiler:
because this is the day when I found out you can actually die, and well, I'm a sucker for that, especially when you are under a threat. I like that the first time you can die is postponed until day 5. It also signifies that turning point, from something relatively harmless with Gabe under no personal threat, to the scary atmosphere, the feeling that Gabe is now also no longer safe. The feeling that everything can happen now, that now things can take a turn for the worse.

I did notice something odd, something bug-ish, which is in fact a spoiler for a later part in the game:
Spoiler:
When you, on day 5, look at the drummer outside the police station, the written text says something along the lines of "It is one of the cartel drummers", but the narrator (in voice) tells you that "It is one of the Gedde drummers. With Malia only becoming explicitely linked to the voodoo cult later in the game, and with her up to now having no relation to the rada drummers (unless you have of course already guessed it), or rather, with Gabriel having no idea about Malia being linked to the voodoo cult and hence the rada drummers, this is...well...spoiler-ish.

Other than that, great part to play with lights turned off and one candle burning.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #165

Thanks for the welcome XD
I had a lot of free time this week-end so i managed to catch up with you and finish day 5 XD.
Here's my thought about this two days.

Day 4:
Short but sweet! The atmosphere turns really creepy from here. I love the creepy guy who watches the shop.
Spoiler:

The death of crash is an incredible moment which shows, again, that this game has aged really well.

Day 5:
This is not one of my favourite days. I think the pacing could have been better.
Spoiler:

The atmosphere keeps being good. Hartridge death is done very well and i like the increase number of drummers in the locations.
I still haven't decided if I like the attack in the museum. Sure, it's a scary moment, but i think it could have been done better.

Quote:

I did notice something odd, something bug-ish, which is in fact a spoiler for a later part in the game:
Spoiler:
When you, on day 5, look at the drummer outside the police station, the written text says something along the lines of "It is one of the cartel drummers", but the narrator (in voice) tells you that "It is one of the Gedde drummers. With Malia only becoming explicitely linked to the voodoo cult later in the game, and with her up to now having no relation to the rada drummers (unless you have of course already guessed it), or rather, with Gabriel having no idea about Malia being linked to the voodoo cult and hence the rada drummers, this is...well...spoiler-ish.

Other than that, great part to play with lights turned off and one candle burning.
Spoiler:

well that's a pretty bad bug XD. Wolfgang's diary, and other clues, made me suspect Malia's involvement with the cult but they should have noticed that error.

I saved my game at the beginning of day 6. How cool is the start of that day?
Spoiler:

The dying animal is a great idea. It shows that the game is becoming very dangerous and that the cult can get Gabriel whenever they want.

Looking forward to day 6
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #166
The Quiet One

So much for Day 4 being the shortest - I can't get the day to end for some reason. I've constantly gone back and forth, checking to see if I've missed anything/done everything, but the day just won't end. I've done all the required tasks for this day, I have a score of 163 points, and I asked Grace to do research

Spoiler:
on the veve pattern and the Rada Drums.
But... nothing.

Very odd.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #167

Too many comments to make quotes on! Gah! But probably because Day 4 is so great.

I completely agree with Andrea on Crash - such a great moment of the game. I remember the first time I played the game, despite enjoying it to this stage, was just completely drawn into it after this scene. Probably one of the greatest adventure game scenes, period.

And the beginning of Day 6? I know we're not there yet but, in response to TheWorld's post, it truly scared the crap out of me (particularly in light of Crash in Day 4). I didn't understand why Gabriel still seemed so casual...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #168

Ended day 5 with 185 points. I think days 4 & 5 took me less than an hour to complete.

I noticed that narrator spoiler about the drummers as well, and thought I'd missed something. Faulty link, probably.

I've always wondered about Crash.
Spoiler:
He talks the same way in the cathedral as in the police station, which makes me believe he was already dying back then.
Good voice actor, though. I think he had fun with the role.

About the fortune teller, I don't quite remember where I read it, but there's a theory that
Spoiler:
when she returns and goes freaky on Gabe, it's not Madame Lorelei at all but Malia Gedde dressed up like her. Because it's Tetelo's voice we hear, and Tetelo would only be able to "ride" a descendant.
Perhaps this was mentioned in the book?

Then Gabe's visit to the museum. I've always had a problem with that scene. I just can't believe that
Spoiler:
turning on the fan gets rid of the snake. Sure, we read in the bookstore that constrictor snakes sense their prey by vibration, but it just doesn't sit well. Do they mean the snake is drawn to the fan, or scared of it? I've always assumed the latter since it slithers away from it.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #169
Failed Birthday Elf

Finished days 4/5.

I have to say I agree with what's been said above about day 4. On the first 3 days the "voodoo murders" seem a bit unreal in the game and it almost feels like a hobby for Gabriel, or at least an interesting and impersonal case for this new book. However, on day 4, suddenly it becomes personal and very much in the present. As mentioned above this has a big effect on Gabriel and the whole tone of the game changes beautifully with this, drawing us ever in and on...

The thing I must add is that I LOVE the very start of day 4, when Gabriel comes into the shop and Grace isn't talking to him, this is so well written and I enjoyed it greatly!

Personally I like day 5 a lot. After Crash's death on day 4 it looks like we're back to normal on day 5 with "new leads in the morning" from Grace and Hartridge. However, when Gabriel discovers Hartridge dead and is attacked by the museum snake we see that these murders are not just something which Gabriel is investigating, but are impinging on his life. Previously it was him interested in them, but now they are interested in him and they are powerful and do not take kindly to people meddling with them! Mosely is taken off the case and Gabriel now has some clear warnings to stay away!

I also really enjoyed convincing Mosely to re-open the case, this was a great part of the game. So often puzzles like this in adventure games are illogical and you have to make great mental leaps (basically guess!) to make it work at all. However, here the reasoning is clear and logical and based largely on stuff you have uncovered in the investigation and understand, rather than a random "clue" that you don't (I'm looking at you Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games!).

Another one of the things I love about this game is how much more I get drawn into it as each day progresses and the story deepens.

Bring on day 6!

Last edited by Intense Degree; 01-18-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: (Edited because I am unable to count!)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #170

Something else that bothers me about the museum visit. Why would Gabriel go there in the first place? He's already visited it, examined everything, talked to Dr. John. I guess it's only to discuss the new topics Crash has given? I remember from my very first playthrough I was completely stuck on Day 5 because I had no idea what to do next, until I randomly clicked the museum icon and the scene occurred, much to my surprise.

Spoiler:
I noticed the beignet guy is already in Jackson Square on day 4, but even though you can talk to him, the dialogue option where you tell him to go back to the police station is missing. So if you already talk to him there before day 6, why would you ever talk to him again when it's really necessary?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I also really enjoyed convincing Mosely to re-open the case, this was a great part of the game. So often puzzles like this in adventure games are illogical and you have to make great mental leaps (basically guess!) to make it work at all. However, here the reasoning is clear and logical and based largely on stuff you have uncovered in the investigation and understand, rather than a random "clue" that you don't (I'm looking at you Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games!).

Yeah that's a great puzzle and i've really enjoyed it. This is one of the things i love the most of the gabriel knight games. The puzzles are (almost ) always logical and part of the story while in some other games puzzles are just there to provide a challenge for the player.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #172
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Something else that bothers me about the museum visit. Why would Gabriel go there in the first place? He's already visited it, examined everything, talked to Dr. John. I guess it's only to discuss the new topics Crash has given? I remember from my very first playthrough I was completely stuck on Day 5 because I had no idea what to do next, until I randomly clicked the museum icon and the scene occurred, much to my surprise.
That's one of the things I like about it, you're not really expecting anything and then it's a shock when it happens (hope everyone remembered to save!)
Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #173
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Spoiler:
I too thought this was weird, and very spoiler-y. And I remember going to the museum to ask Dr. John about the new information we learned about the sects.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #174

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
So much for Day 4 being the shortest - I can't get the day to end for some reason. I've constantly gone back and forth, checking to see if I've missed anything/done everything, but the day just won't end. I've done all the required tasks for this day, I have a score of 163 points, and I asked Grace to do research

Spoiler:
on the veve pattern and the Rada Drums.
But... nothing.

Very odd.
Have you...

Spoiler:
1. Picked up the bracelet from Sam?
2. Called Wolfgang?
3. Used the sketchbook on Crash's chest?
4. Showed the complete vévé to Hartridge? (Can be done on Day 3)
5. Translated the voodoo code with the aid of Magentia?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #175
The Quiet One

Quote:
Have you...

Spoiler:
5. Translated the voodoo code with the aid of Magentia?
Aha! It could be that. I'll give it a whirl later today. Thanks, Andrea.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #176
Random

Quote:

Then Gabe's visit to the museum. I've always had a problem with that scene. I just can't believe that
Spoiler:
turning on the fan gets rid of the snake. Sure, we read in the bookstore that constrictor snakes sense their prey by vibration, but it just doesn't sit well. Do they mean the snake is drawn to the fan, or scared of it? I've always assumed the latter since it slithers away from it.
Have you tried to turn on the fan before day 4? Check it out!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #177
Pixiehunter

Quote:

Spoiler:
I noticed the beignet guy is already in Jackson Square on day 4, but even though you can talk to him, the dialogue option where you tell him to go back to the police station is missing. So if you already talk to him there before day 6, why would you ever talk to him again when it's really necessary?
I went to the museum, because of the new voodoo-related topics that had come up. My strategy was that, as soon as a new topic would come up, I'd visit everyone who would possibly know something about that topic and ask them about it. So taht's why I had a reason to go to the museum (that, and when I was stuck I used to start visiting every possible location and see what news would be there.

As for the spoiler:
Spoiler:
On day 6 you have a reason to talk to the beignet guy again, and to ask him specifically to distract the cops. It is in fact a way of puzzle design I like. You have to understand you have to distract the cops, know the beignet guy would help you. Only then woul;d it make sense to talk to him about being a distraction. But you have to know you have to use the beignet guy as a distraction, else, indeed, you have no reason to talk to him again.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #178
The Quiet One

Okay, it looks like that action was what I had forgetten to do. So now I'm on Day 5 at last. I think the beginning of Day 5 is the ideal time to read the comic if anyone has it.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #179

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

While it's true that Gabriel in the game reads the diary on Day 5, and Gazzoid is certainly right about it being a good moment to read it, I usually prefer post-poning the reading until Day 6, just like in the novel.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #180
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Okay, it looks like that action was what I had forgetten to do. So now I'm on Day 5 at last. I think the beginning of Day 5 is the ideal time to read the comic if anyone has it.
And if not, day 5 is also the ideal day to start understanding the nightmares based on what you know from inside the game...