You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Any adventure game "collectibles" in your collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #21

Hmmm, I remember a thread which implied that Orion Burger was rare. I'm not sure though, but at least I have it, in mint condition. Only been used once, to see how it was. The lack of subtitles annoyed me, since I'm never alone in the house when I play.

Other than that I have a fair share of big-box adventure games, both Amiga and PC, and not counting re-releases:

Under a Killing Moon (PC)
Broken Sword II (PC)
Gabriel Knight 2 (PC)
Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge (Amiga)
The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga)
Heart of China (Amiga)
The Adventures of Willy Beamish (Amiga)
Rise of the Dragon (Amiga)
Police Quest III (Amiga)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The Adventure Game (Amiga)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - The Adventure Game (Amiga)
Discworld Noir (PC)
Sam and Max Hit the Road (PC)
Full Throttle (PC)
Grim Fandango (PC)
The Dig (PC)
Den Lengste Reisen (The Longest Journey on norwegian) (PC)
Simon the Sorcerer (Amiga, both A1200 and A500 version)
King's Quest VI (Amiga)
Dreamweb (Amiga 1200)
Innocent Until Caught (Amiga)
Space Quest IV (Amiga)
Beneath a Steel Sky (Amiga)
Curse of Enchantia (Amiga)
Universe (Amiga)

Well, that's some of them. I also have most of the original Sierra collection series, King's Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest. The list only includes original retail big-box editions.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #22
Under pressure.

I consider my boxed Leisure Suit larry Ultimate Pleasure Pack, The Neverhood, The Last Express, Duckman, Rex Nebular, and Discworld as collectables. I also have a tin figure of Rincewind that came with the Discworld box. I also have every LucasArts adventure boxed, except for Zak McKracken. Those are like my babies

--Erwin
Old 05-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #23
Lurking Myst Missionary

All my collectibles are Myst nerd stuff. Poster, books, some autographs, that sort of thing. My baby is a covered in autographs copy of Uru: Complete Chronicles, that I won following a poll on the old Ubisoft MystWorlds site.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #24

I'm a proud owner of Zak FM towns.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #25

ah yes i got the neverhood as well, perfect condition. Afew years back at a computer fair, a guy had about 20 copies of it, 4 quid each i think. I wish i'd bought the lot now!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #26
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
I've also kept every receipt of every game I bought. I own about 80 Sierra games, couple of LA games, +/- 20 other adventure games and about 30 non-adventure games.
Seriously! I'm not joking! If you have a sealed or pristine copy of a rare game WITH the original receipt, you can make quite a bit. I sold my Conquests of the Longbow with receipt for $275!!! And an original EcoQuest : original big box with a Sierra InterAction magazine for $180.

Yes, valuable and very very rare!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 AM   #27
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
Seriously! I'm not joking! If you have a sealed or pristine copy of a rare game WITH the original receipt, you can make quite a bit. I sold my Conquests of the Longbow with receipt for $275!!! And an original EcoQuest : original big box with a Sierra InterAction magazine for $180.

Yes, valuable and very very rare!
Don't worry, you've convinced me

I just can't believe you sold those games for those prices! I still need EcoQuest 1 but will never buy it for that kind of money. They may be worth the money, but I can't afford it

All my boxed games are in pristine condition, so they might be worth a few bucks. Not that I will ever sell them...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #28

...I've got the original recepit for my boxed Freddy Pharkas (Disk, not CD version)...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 PM   #29
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Nothing particularly rare or special, or very valuable either, I don't think. You can see (the bulk of) my collection at MobyGames and GameTZ, I use the same username there.

I'd say the most notable are; Dracula Unleashed (not the recent re-release), Gabriel Knight Mysteries: Limited Edition, King's Quest Collection, Leisure Suit Larry's Greatest Hits and Misses, Police Quest 4 Most Wanted, Quest for Glory Anthology, Rise of the Dragon (16 color version), Stupid Invaders, The Dark Half, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, The LucasArts Archives Vol. I & III and Veil of Darkness.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

"Rare" is a pretty subjective term and imo there are too many EBay sellers who are all too loose with their usage of the word.....

But,
I do have original copies of -

Freddy Pharkas
Phantasmagoria
7th Guest
11th Guest
Feeble Files
Black Dahlia
GK box with the novel
Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga)

I'd never sell any of them unless I get desperate though
Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #31
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
"Rare" is a pretty subjective term and imo there are too many EBay sellers who are all too loose with their usage of the word.....
Sealed copies of Sierra/LucasArts original boxes are rare and valuable. Pristine copies with original receipts are rare and valuable. InterAction magazines and original adventure game reviews/cover stories are RARE and valuable. That said, we're talking about OFFICIAL copies and not resealed boxes of which there are a LOT of on eBay.

Last edited by eriq; 05-11-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #32

Why does keeping the receipt count for so much? I don't get it other than proving to the buyer that the game is legit and not a copy?

Anyhoo, I don't know which game I still have would be the most rare. At one point I had Alice Interactive, Treasure Hunter, and Synnergist in my possession, but I sold them. Heh, my proudest moment actually was ripping off the shrinkwrap of Alice so I could play the darn thing. I'm sure that did the resale value no favors, but I am a player first.

I do still have a boxed Hamlet, U.F.O.s, Celtica...I think those are still considered rare. I also have all of the classic Sega Saturn RPG's which are somewhat rare.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #33
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I once kept my receipts from all the games I bought, then I realized that the ink in the receipts or the paper itself was so bad in quality that it just faded away as time went by.

So I threw the receipts away.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #34
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerz View Post
Why does keeping the receipt count for so much? I don't get it other than proving to the buyer that the game is legit and not a copy?
The closer a hardcore collector can feel to the actual "purchase" day of a particular game, the better. For me, it's been important to collect as pristine a box as possible - and a receipt only adds to that nostalgic value. I've certainly paid more, myself, for copies of graphic adventures complete with receipts. To you, it may simply "prove the game is legit" but to many seasoned collector's, a receipt represents a purchase almost "frozen in time" if you will. I know it sounds silly but it's true. In addition, Sierra games were shrunkwrap in a very specific way in-house unlike many other games that arrived at stores like Software, Etc... adventure game collector's look for things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
I once kept my receipts from all the games I bought, then I realized that the ink in the receipts or the paper itself was so bad in quality that it just faded away as time went by.

So I threw the receipts away.
LOL.

Last edited by eriq; 05-12-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #35

Send a message via MSN to Cloud88

Got the original Amiga big boxes for:

Maniac Mansion
Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
King's Quest
Simon Sorceror
Simon Sorceror 2

(I also have the PC big boxes for Simon 1 & 2)

I also have the bounty pack, but i dont think thats exactly rare..
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #36
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud88 View Post
Simon Sorceror
Simon Sorceror 2

(I also have the PC big boxes for Simon 1 & 2)
Do you have the original Infocom Simon the Sorcerer storybook box? That's very rare for sure.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #37

I have the official feeble files hint and walkthrough book? Don't know how rare that is.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #38

Send a message via MSN to Cloud88

Quote:
Do you have the original Infocom Simon the Sorcerer storybook box? That's very rare for sure.
No, but i do have the original Activision "what other products of ours do you have?" form thing that came with it! lol
Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #39
gaybrush threepwoody

LOL. I'm sure that's worth something! LOL. maybe?

Well here's the super rare original Simon US Infocom box:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/si...eCoverId,2499/

which is very very cool! It actually follows the format of early Infocom text adventure boxes with the fold open flap and the instructions in a booklet attached to the inside cover. I own one copy and it's all beat up, unfortunately.

So keep you eyes peeled for this one on eBay!

Notice, as Manhunter71 pointed out, that many eBay sellers list items as "rare" when they're not at all:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMON-THE-SORCER...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SIMON-THE-S...QQcmdZViewItem

And strangely, is Simon 4 already on sale?? Because here's an auction for it!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
And strangely, is Simon 4 already on sale?? Because here's an auction for it!
Apparently so, but not in English yet.