You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I'm getting a DS. What should I get Adventurewise?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #1

Default I'm getting a DS. What should I get Adventurewise?

I'm getting a DS. What should I get (or look forward too) Adventurewise?

I saw the adventure game Time Hollow. It looks awsome. Now that I'm jumping on the DS wagon, I want more adventure. Mwahaha! ... um... yes any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PEACE
Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

In my opinion these are must-have adventures for a DS owner (like me )
Another Code (aka Trace Memory in US)
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright series

These have been made exclusively for DS (yeah ok Phoenix Wright was a GBA port but in DS it shines brighter this piece of diamond) and i found them a unique experience.
There are also games like Tunguska DS etc which are cheap ports from the original. Just play them on the pc and not on the tiny screen without voice overs and crappy "super puzzles that take advantage of the touch screen"
Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by equallyAvant View Post
and crappy "super puzzles that take advantage of the touch screen"
while recommending Another Code?

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #4

I loved Touch Dectective 1 & 1 and half, also the Zelda game was alot of fun [I dont think I would call it and adventure game but I really liked it].
Old 09-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #5

They're not point and click but I've enjoyed the Final Fantasy series very much, and as Trader said, Zelda is really wonderful as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
recovering AG addict

Professor Layton and the curious village.
It's a puzzlegame with a nice story, I enjoyed it very much!
The sequel should come out any day now

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
while recommending Another Code?
Hmm...well i played Another Code the moment it came out. At that time it was the only adventure on DS, so i found its puzzles quite good (except for the slider puzzle). Especially the one where you had the close the ds to solve it, brilliant!
But although being an easy adventure game, you just can't compare the production values, story and presentation of Another Code with the other ports out there. E.x try to play Undercover DS, so cheaply made that looks like a homebrew, very shallow atmosphere.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #8

Time Hollow is great; though there's almost no gameplay to speak of (and certainly no difficulty whatsoever), the story is really, really intriguing and makes the game definitely worth playing.

And, as others have mentioned, the Phoenix Wright games, Hotel Dusk and Layton are must-plays.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by equallyAvant View Post
There are also games like Tunguska DS etc which are cheap ports from the original. Just play them on the pc and not on the tiny screen without voice overs and crappy "super puzzles that take advantage of the touch screen"
Perhaps it's a good opportunity to document all the non-DS-exclusive adventure game for completists, games like Tunguska, Undercover prequel, and the forthcoming Paradise and So Blonde pseudo-ports. The reason for this is that DS ports MUST be different, they can't be almost 1:1 like PS or XBox ports.

Anyone can list them all? Can't be too much of them.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #10

Prof. Layton and the curious village is really awesome. It's mostly a puzzle game, but it feels like an adventure and has the best graphics of any game ever.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #11

One ds-port that comes to mind that is worth playing is Myst DS. Hey myst is a classic so no complaints there
There is also a GBA-crappy-port of Broken Sword 1 (i mention this 'cause ds can also play gba games)
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Time Hollow is great; though there's almost no gameplay to speak of (and certainly no difficulty whatsoever), the story is really, really intriguing and makes the game definitely worth playing.
Woo! This is in the mail on its way to me right now. Can't wait.

Another Code / Trace Memory is possibly my favorite DS adventure. I just loved the premise and atmosphere. I also really like the Phoenix Wright games and think it's worth at least checking out one of them to see what you think.

Professor Layton was fun, but it's definitely more of a puzzle game and doesn't have much of a story to go with it. Depends what you're looking for, I guess.

Hotel Dusk had neat graphics and an intriguing story but it gets a little convoluted, and the gameplay isn't all that original. I think it was just rereleased for $19.99 so it should be easy(ish) to find.

The Touch Detective games are okay but the gameplay isn't anything special. Worth playing if you can get them for a discount.

One other game I think is worth looking for (especially since it's very cheap these days) is Sprung. It's not really a traditional adventure, and the story and scenarios are very silly, but I found it to be a fun diversion on my DS.

Oh, I'm also a big Final Fantasy fan. Loved FF3 and will be getting FF4 when I can afford it.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh View Post
Perhaps it's a good opportunity to document all the non-DS-exclusive adventure game for completists, games like Tunguska, Undercover prequel, and the forthcoming Paradise and So Blonde pseudo-ports. The reason for this is that DS ports MUST be different, they can't be almost 1:1 like PS or XBox ports.

Anyone can list them all? Can't be too much of them.
The Undercover prequel IS 100% exclusive. It's a prequel, different story, mostly different characters, different game.
So Blonde IS a 100% different game. Sunny lands on the other side of the island and befriends One-Eye. Sure, some of the locations and characters are the same, but the story and the circumstances are totally different. That one isn't 100% exclusive though as the game will also be available on Wii (both 100% different from the PC-game though so no "pseudo-port").
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #14

Ok, so how many PC-to-DS ports and "tie-ins" are there for adventure games? So far I counted three existing (Undercover, Tunguska and Runaway2) and two forthcoming (So Blonde and Paradise)...

Last edited by Aurebesh; 09-30-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Additional ports: Ankh, CSI: Dark Motives, Myst
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
fire breathing

Someone should port Grim Fandango to DS.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh View Post
Ok, so how many PC-to-DS ports and "tie-ins" are there for adventure games? So far I counted three existing (Undercover, Tunguska and Runaway2) and two forthcoming (So Blonde and Paradise)...
Earth A New Beginning is in development for both PC and DS.
Sherlock Holmes Mystery of the Mummy is being ported for DS.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Another Code / Trace Memory is possibly my favorite DS adventure. I just loved the premise and atmosphere.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #19

Also, if you have some of the older games and an R4DS or something similar, you can get ScummVM for DS. It works very well.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Additional ports: Ankh
Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, Ankh DS went out with German speech only (English subtitled though), so a true English version of Ankh DS is not available. Pity, since it's rare that a 128MB game will have speech (Tunguska, Runaway 2 and Undercover don't have speech at all), so it would've been nice to have an English version.
Can anyone confirm that? Or was there an English version I'm not aware of?