You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Any adventure game "collectibles" in your collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #61
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Thank you. Isn't it fabulous? So fabulously ridiculous.

(this is all in good fun, of course.)

On the subject of receipts again... A receipt is of sentimental value the same way anything related to a classic collectible would be. If people are willing to pay more for an item because it includes proof or is accompanied by an item that represents a place of purchase, then the receipt is worth something. I am speaking for the huge number of people who purchased my lots - the proof is in the poop. Are they all hardcore collectors? I doubt it. But that's neither here nor there is it? Certificate of Authenticity, original "Egghead Software" or "Software, Etc." bag, old receipt.. they're all items unique to the purchase (many from places that no longer exist mind you) - items people are, obviously, willing to pay a little more for. Maybe not your friends Leonard Nimoy and Lily Tomlin but certainly many unique and repeat buyers which says COLLECTIBLE! (and sentimental) to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
One question though... Why did you collect so many copies of the same game? I've got a couple of duplicates but I use those to trade
I'm not sure. I look at the photos (and the crates) and have to wonder myself... what the hell was I thinking?! I imagine it's because I was looking for a perfect box, perfect disks, all the variants, who knows?? Many I bought and paid a LOT for because they had silly things like receipts included!

Last edited by eriq; 05-15-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #62
eXo

Many collectors collect more then just one type of thing, and in most fields of collecting a person want's to own everything that was part of the original package. So at that point your beyond even sentimental collecting - your just collecting everything related to the game for the sake of collecting.

Another reason is that there seems to be a market as of late of people who run around eBay buying up vintage games with the idea that in 10 years they can turn them back around for some major profit.

Like any investment, this may or may not be true - but having receipts definitely won't hurt.

What I think many of these re-sellers don't get is that the price of a game is directly proportional to the number of people looking for it.

Back in December I wanted a mint boxed copy of King's Quest 2. I was able to get every other KQ game/variant for under 10 bucks, but this one continually went to 30 or 40.

Then it out right disappeared off eBay for a few months.

Someone recently listed a copy and I nabbed it for 4 bucks, and it's a great copy.

It's the same with the games being supported by the ScummVM emulator. Before Feeble Files was supported it was all over eBay and Amazon, and fairly cheap too. Once it was supported, it seems several people ran out and started bidding up these copies. I got lucky and found my PC version mis-listed as a mac version at Amazon.

It seems to me, that the key to selling at the best time is waiting until something draws interest back in the original game. Maybe the recent remake of KQ2 led collectors to run back and try to get the original copy.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #63

Eriq, that is amazing!! Now I don't feel quite so bad about having three boxed versions of Quest for Glory 4, including the Anthology edition.

I have a lot of games (and I do mean a lot), but mainly I have restricted myself to one of each.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #64
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
Eriq, that is amazing!! Now I don't feel quite so bad about having three boxed versions of Quest for Glory 4, including the Anthology edition.
Thank you Marian!

I actually only have a few copies of QFG4 myself. I believe I have all of them though - the big purple box and the CD release box which, quite frankly, is ugly as sin. LOL.

Last edited by eriq; 05-15-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #65

I know that receipts (or orders, or letters, or any other paperwork connected with the sale) are always desirable when it comes to antiques. Never thought they would count for much in something as recent as computer games, at least beyond their novelty value. Live and learn.

I'm only interested in playing rather than collecting, and I pick up what I can where I can, mostly secondhand or in budget reissues. I recently bought Under A Killing Moon for £1-£2 at the local Cash Converters, but not in anything like collectable condition. I've got Space Quest 4 (I think) which my father sent me several years ago, and which I've never looked at, but it might be the original. Certainly is in a big box. There are some other boxed floppy-based DOS games around here, including Ultima Underworld and Lands of Lore, which again I bought very cheap from secondhand and charity shops. Also Doom, but it's missing one of the floppies.

There's also a huge pile of Amiga games (and other programs) in their original boxes, which I suppose have become collectible by now. And years and years of Amiga magazines, which I still read sometimes. When I cleared out my father's house I could have gathered up all my old Texas Instruments software, including a crapload of original Infocoms, but in the end I didn't because space was at far too much of a premium.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #66
Hardcore Adventurer

Well, I have the PC game "3 skulls of the Toltecs" with big box and cd case - all in good condition AND with receipt (purchased in 1996).

Anyone can suggest me if this is worth something?

Last edited by Tidus; 05-27-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #67
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I don't really have any rare games in original boxes, mainly cuz i bought the re-releases in the DVD cases which i prefer over cardboard boxes.

However i'm very proud to have the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis CD version with the original box in excellent condition. As well as the Monkey Island Bounty Pack but i don't have the large outer box, just the jewel case. I don't know if LBA 2 counts but i have the original cardboard box version of that too.
Forgot to mention that i own the original big box of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. I've also ordered the CD-ROM big box versions of Discworld 2 and Gabriel Knight 1 off ebay, which will soon be in my grasp!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #68
Hardcore Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
Well, I have the PC game "3 skulls of the Toltecs" with big box and cd case - all in good condition AND with receipt (purchased in 1996).

Anyone can suggest me if this is worth something?
Anyone?!?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #69
Senior *female* member

Sure it's worth something. Do you have the big poster as well? Always hard to say how much exactly, but not nearly as much as it used to be. Not enough collectors around. Anything from $125 to $225. Maybe a bit more at amazon.com.

PS: Just my opinion.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXo View Post
It's the same with the games being supported by the ScummVM emulator. Before Feeble Files was supported it was all over eBay and Amazon, and fairly cheap too. Once it was supported, it seems several people ran out and started bidding up these copies. I got lucky and found my PC version mis-listed as a mac version at Amazon.
Really? I just bought this copy of Feeble Files for 10p plus postage. Maybe it's an even better bargain than I thought!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #71
Senior *female* member

It's a bargain, but the Feeble Files has never been rare. Adventure Soft Publishing is still selling it.

http://www.adventuresoft.com/games.html
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #72

I have an original A0 Maniac Mansion poster of the first edition box art. : )
Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #73

I own a complete, mint set of every Sierra, Corktel, and LA game. I am currently building my Microprose collection but each of these game are a mint. I am working on some pics.

I am quite envious of Eriq's collection. I have to ask though, with the multiple copies, are you collecting each language Eriq?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #74
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftweed View Post
I have an original A0 Maniac Mansion poster of the first edition box art. : )
Oh my goodness. That's something I DON'T have. Everytime a rare LucasArts game poster goes up for bid, I miss out. That is so cool!

LeChuck, I was just collecting like crazy... not really looking for multiple languages although I did come across several amazing foreign copies. I own a hebrew and Japanese Loom and several foreign Sierra games like a Japanese Willy Beamish. The foreign games are always fun to see.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
Oh my goodness. That's something I DON'T have. Everytime a rare LucasArts game poster goes up for bid, I miss out. That is so cool!

LeChuck, I was just collecting like crazy... not really looking for multiple languages although I did come across several amazing foreign copies. I own a hebrew and Japanese Loom and several foreign Sierra games like a Japanese Willy Beamish. The foreign games are always fun to see.
Hebrew? Nice. I have never come across a Hebrew game. Good fun.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #76
Super Moderator

This is off topic (and a little belated) but welcome to the forums LeChuck!
Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 AM   #77
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
LeChuck, I was just collecting like crazy... not really looking for multiple languages although I did come across several amazing foreign copies.
But... WHY?! I can't help but responsibilize you for me never finding Loom, Maniac Mansion, Zak, Last Crusade, and hundreds of other titles at the store... despite the fact that I've never even been to San Francisco... or remotely close for that matter.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #78
Hardcore Adventurer

I am about to obtain some old PC games in their original big cardboard boxes, manuals, etc. - all in excellent condition.

Can anyone suggest to me if I shall (or not) get any of the following? :

* Gabriel Knight (floppy ver.)
* Phantom of the Opera (floppy ver.)
* Ultima (floppy ver.)
* Robin Hood (floppy ver.)
* Heart of China (floppy ver.)
* The Legend of Kyrandia (floppy ver.)
* The Hand of Fate - Kyrandia II (floppy ver.)
* 7th Guest (CD ver.)
* 11th Hour (CD ver.)
* Ecstatica (CD ver.)
* Myst (CD ver.)
* Pandora Directive (CD ver.)

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #79

I don't if I have any collectibles...

I used to have Zork Nemesis, though, in big bix. But then I have it away or something like that. Lasy year, I bought it again as it was in the bargain bin for maybe USD 20, I think.

I have a really, really old game called Angel Devoid that I can't even play, not even on Dosbox ---- but I am hesitans to get rid of it - simply because of the value it someday may hold...

I also have very nice copy of Shivers 2: Harvest of Souls in the big box from Sierra, and the Quest for Glory 5 big box as well.

Some years ago, I was hesitant to get Still Life and Post Mortem, but today I'm glad that I did, since now these games are fairly hard to get, irrc. I also have Syberia 1 and Syberia 2, and my guess is that these two games are
also on the rise - prince range wise ??

I once had the second Gabriel Knight game in the big box as well as the Dame was Loaded or was it I have no Mouth and I must Scream or possibly the Blackstone Chronicles, but I gave these away. Sad --- but true. The only thing I wish for to get back, though, is the second Gabriel Knight game. I still have the third Gabriel Knight game in its big box, though.

I aso have the first two 'simon the sorcerer's' games, but I have no idea if they are colletor's items?? I also have the first two 'broken sword' games, but have no idea whether these games are collectibles ??

I have a bunch of other games, not adventure games, though, but rpgs as well as some rts games (settlers mostly). But then again, my collections probably isn't the largest one or the smallest one....but I'm fairly happy with it.

If only I had time time to play the games....
Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #80
Chicken with a bite

Tidus, that depends on what you want to do with them (i.e. actually play or just store them as in a museum or do you plan to sell them at a higher price), and how much they would cost you. If you think the price it worth it, go for them. If not, don't. We can't judge from behind our collective computers if these games are worth the asking price (especially since you didn't mention it).
In my opinion it is almost always worth buying old games in the original boxes, because they're increasingly hard to get.