You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Any adventure game "collectibles" in your collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #41

I have that Simon US Infocom box and didn't know it was rare. Thank you for the heads up!

I have quite a few rare games; some boxed, some not. I'm playing Synnergist right now (and, after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, actually have it running on XP with DOSBox--it took an image mount and a special version of DOSBox JUST for this game that one of the creators of DOSBox figured out and posted as a download on VOGONS). Three of the other rarest I have would probably be Hamlet a Murder Mystery, Hariboy's Quest (never released in North America), and Blue Heat.

Tracking down those elusive games has been an obsession of mine for quite some time. A friend of mine once said that I manage to find adventure games that only God and I know were even created.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #42
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
I have that Simon US Infocom box and didn't know it was rare. Thank you for the heads up!
It is! And is yours in good condition? I'm jealous! I have seen it only twice in about 2 years on eBay. Aside from simply being collectible, isn't it just a fantastically produced box? You should take some photos and show everyone the details. It's truly a gem of a box.

Quote:

Tracking down those elusive games has been an obsession of mine for quite some time. A friend of mine once said that I manage to find adventure games that only God and I know were even created.
I agree! Adventure games hold a very special place our hearts don't they?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #43
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I have quite a few rare games; some boxed, some not. I'm playing Synnergist right now (and, after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth, actually have it running on XP with DOSBox--it took an image mount and a special version of DOSBox JUST for this game that one of the creators of DOSBox figured out and posted as a download on VOGONS). Three of the other rarest I have would probably be Hamlet a Murder Mystery, Hariboy's Quest (never released in North America), and Blue Heat.
Aahhhh... another Blue Heat owner! I got mine years ago on ebay, in mint condition. Does yours come in a box? Mine doesn't, but it's one of my most treasured rare games nonetheless. There's a pic of the box at Mobygames, but I have never seen it offered boxed.

I have Hamlet too, will finish it one day. Must be the most linear puzzle game ever. My buggy German version of Synnergist (fortunately with the original English voices) is a real joykiller. Maybe I should try the special DOSbox you mentioned.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #44

I have just the jewel case, CDs, and manual for Blue Heat; no box. I had to fight tooth and nail to get it and was up against a lot of other bidders on eBay for that auction. I think it's the most I ever spent on a rare game, but I sure am glad to have it.

If you ever decide to give Synnergist another go, here's a link that will point you to the Synnergist version of DOSBox:

http://www.jellofishi.com/gamewiki/i...tle=Synnergist

The game still crashed on me on startup, even with this special version of DOSBox for Synnergist, until I ran the game from an image mount. But finally, FINALLY, the game is now running well, and has been quite stable; I just started chapter two. I'm enjoying it so far. Good, cheesy fun, and the story is holding my interest. I'm certainly going to finish it.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #45

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

what happened to used pc game stores... i used to get steals in those places.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #46

Send a message via MSN to Cloud88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
what happened to used pc game stores... i used to get steals in those places.
Never known a used PC game store, jsut game stores with used sections.
I got Grim Fandango for 50p in town a few months ago, and I got the bounty pack of MI for £3 lol! sold that for a £10 later that day.
I love used games store.. but now i have to settle for Gamestation or GAME...
Old 05-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #47

The only rich collection I have is the collection of dust on top of my ill-treatened poor old adventure games with scratches, broken boxes and torn manuals. Lots of coffee-cricles from various cups on various stupid places to rest your cups at...
Old 05-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #48
eXo

there are no used pc game stores left in dallas, although half priced books ( a chain of - guess what - half priced books) carried a random assortment of used pc games. it's always a crapshoot.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #49

Send a message via MSN to Cloud88

Charity shops often hold a bargain.
I saw one charity shop selling brand new games for £5-10 because they didnt realise their market value
Old 05-14-2007, 02:39 AM   #50
Senior *female* member

Thanks for the link, Marian. I'm going to try Synnergist again when I've finished Legend's Gateway.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #51

I really liked Gateway!

I was browsing VOGONS last night and realized that link I gave you isn't right; they've removed the special Synnergist DOSBox and say to just run the new version of DOSBox, so apparently it's supported now on version 0.70. Sounds like good news to me. I hope you get better results when you try again.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #52

About the receipts:
I don't think that receipts are important to collectors or raise the value of a collectable item. Never heard if before from fellow collectors, and never noticed it as significant at eBay, at least in the past decade. But of course there may be individuals who are interested in the receipts for other reasons. A game collector is only interested if a game is mint and shrink-wrapped (and original of course).
The Radio Shack receipt of the KQ4 Agi version is of interest though, as here

http://eds.org/~david/agi/sierra/kq4.htm

it is asserted that it was never sold in retail outlets.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #53
eXo

well - quite frankly, your wrong on both accounts.

Whether you want to believe it or not, games with receipts sell for more money.

And as far as my KQ4 AGI w/ receipt, would you like to see a scan of my receipt? It looks like "The Dude, David Smith" is wrong. The receipt is from a Radio Shack, and has been in the box since the day it was bought.

Notice the 256K on the label, denoting that it is the AGI version. Also notice the 19.95 price sticker on the box, and the receipt.

"The Dude", and yourself are wrong.

If for any reason you need to see a 512K SCI version I have copies of that I can take pictures of as well

Last edited by eXo; 05-14-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #54
gaybrush threepwoody

EXO, you DO have a very rare item there! Keep it, AND the receipt in good condition! They belong in a museum!!

I believe I have only one copy of King's Quest 4 AGI. I must have about 20 copies of the regular SCI version. Isn't that ridiculous?! LOL!

I think Guybrush would agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
About the receipts:
I don't think that receipts are important to collectors or raise the value of a collectable item. A game collector is only interested if a game is mint and shrink-wrapped (and original of course).
They do not raise the value for YOU, perhaps, but you do not speak for the whole community. Many of us have been around long enough to know what sells for more and when. Nearly every auction I have put up including a pristine copy with original receipt sold for nearly double my other auctions. And I have the screenshots of the results for each to prove it. Let's not get into a bitch tiff - my collection is MUCH bigger than yours is.

And this is only 25% of it. (LOL. Yes, I have been waiting to show these shots off. Now's a better time than ever!)

Last edited by eriq; 05-14-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 PM   #55
Strategy Guide Author

holy.

shit.

Did you just buy a crapload of copies every time the game come out (though you don't look old enough) or just started collecting and accumulating multiples? Or had CONNECTIONS.

Last edited by Phod; 05-14-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #56
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Did you just buy a crapload of copies every time the game come out (though you don't look old enough) or just started collecting and accumulating multiples? Or had CONNECTIONS.
I was, fortunately, around when all of these grand adventures ruled the earth. I'm 29. I bought about 2 -3 copies of most games but over the years I've collected many many more. I've accumulated so many items that only recently did I decide it was time to slow it down. Now I like to browse and let the community know when the fun and interesting gems pop up. There's still so much collectible stuff out there waiting to be discovered! Collecting and chatting about graphic adventure games is very fulfilling to me. It reminds me of a very magical time - I would imagine it does most people here.

There is a method to my collecting madness, however! I promise!

Quote:
Or had CONNECTIONS.
Yes. I captured Roberta Williams in 1988, hid her in my closet, and fed her cheese.

Last edited by eriq; 05-14-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #57
Strategy Guide Author

As a big fan, I'm impressed (and jealous).

Sadly I'm older and had a chance to do the same but for some reason I always end up enjoying stuff a lot more when it's like 15 years later.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #58
gaybrush threepwoody

I noticed you are a strategy guide writer. Did you ever collect or read the Sierra hint books or guides? Many of them contain some of the coolest game extras and tidbits from back in the day. I'll scan and post some.

Quote:
Sadly I'm older and had a chance to do the same but for some reason I always end up enjoying stuff a lot more when it's like 15 years later.
I DIDN'T know that Sierra and LucasArts would still rule my life 20 years later otherwise I would have stocked up on merchandise like tshirts, mugs, and towels (which sell for hundreds.. go figure) but I did recognize that the games we were playing were beautiful and unique. If it wasn't for those games, I would probably not be an artist... maybe ending up being an archaeologist or some shit like that.

Last edited by eriq; 05-14-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #59
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Wow, I'm really impressed Eriq! I've also got a nice collection, but this is amazing!

One question though... Why did you collect so many copies of the same game? I've got a couple of duplicates but I use those to trade

Are they different in some way or did you just have to have 'em?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #60

Exo:

About being wrong on both accounts.. I just pointed out that the other guy was apparently wrong, as you had a receipt. So no need to upload a scan to prove it, but it is always nice to see of course. In fact I can send you a scan of the same item, shrink wrapped, ALSO with a Radio Shack sticker on it on the back of the box. So I was glad to read you confirmed that these items were indeed sold at Radio Shack.

It isn't just a matter of not believing that games with receipt sell for more. It is a just a fact that can be easily verified, if one is prepared to check eBay for some time. As said, it isn't noticeable at eBay. I check almost daily, and 3 times a week with a special auction search program, for over ten years now. NEVER noticed it, so it certainly isn't a trend. But there may some exceptions of course that I have overlooked. Some start bidding wars for some reason, e.g. when a seller asserts that the item is "very special" for reason "X" (that it has a receipt for instance).
And as said, more important, I never read or heard that collectors mention the special value of receipts, from the collectors of old text adventures like Leonard, Formann, Tomlinson or from any of the collectors that focus on graphic adventure games.

Eric:

"You do not speak for the whole community" ... Do you? .... I didn't asserted that I spoke for the community. I said that I never heard about it from the collectors that I know. And that isn't the whole community of course, but after a long time one knows more or less "the competition" - who the vivid collectors are, and what they are bidding on. And they aren't bidding on games with receipts. But that doesn't exclude the possibility that you are getting higher prices for selling games with receipts. BTW, the "whole community" of serious collectors - who collect all games of the various genres, or one or more genres, or of some companies - is very, very small.

Very nice those pics, but I must say that doesn't look like a "game collection," but like the "store" of someone who sells Sierra and LucasArts games (without the collector's Ziplocs). And about "who has the biggest one" (I understand you were joking); I feel no need to point out that my collection is bigger or smaller. Most of us will loose that competition as there has been a buyer on eBay who has been buying various thousands of games during the past decade, who was even willing to pay over $3000 for an item with serious wear etc. (Escape from Mt. Drash - I think it was also pointed out once in this forum, but my memory may not serve me here). And Tomlinson of course, the former retailer (and collector) with his warehouse that is still loaded with hundred of thousands of games. See for instance here:
http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Eli/Eli.shtm

Last edited by mart; 05-15-2007 at 02:29 AM.