You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Whispered World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #141

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Has there been a demo or press version released?

Reviewers can't judge the story, acting and dialogue until there is one. If there's a free demo for the whole public to enjoy then please point me to it
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #142
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
The thing that preoccupies me is that in the plus/cons section they didn't say anything about the story... What does the reviews says about it?
Nothing. Well... hardly anything. It's not a very good review, IMO. Chaotic, rambling, too long, goes on and on about the lovely graphics...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #143

Quote:
Nothing. Well... hardly anything. It's not a very good review, IMO. Chaotic, rambling, too long, goes on and on about the lovely graphics..
Well, there's more to the review than that, although it requires A LOT of reading to discover it

Like the official site we only get to know that Sadwick is a sad clown that has to rescue the world, and in doing so meets interesting characters and travels an enchanted world.
From the review we also learn that Sadwick starts of as a sad little clown with little self-esteem. During the adventure his/her/it's(?) character grows and gets more secure and brave. This is all supported with excellent animation (according to the reviewer), showing lots of different moods and expressions in both the characters face as body language.
Sadwick is also a loveable character that you on occasion - and I quote - would want to hold in your arms and comfort
A compelling story the review concludes...

Sadwick also has a sidekick - Spot; a green caterpillar. Spot is Sadwicks best friend (and pet) and there friendship is more than ones confirmed by an intense hug (and I quote again ). More interesting is that Spot has several talents of it's own which can be used to solve several puzzles in the game.

The puzzles themselves are varied, reaching from inventory-based to logical. The game also has for the first time since long real dialog puzzles, meaning you have to find out the right things to say. The difficulty of the puzzles grow during the adventure and should also be interesting for the experienced gamer in the reviewers opinion.

Gameplay should be straight forward with an action menu under the left button and the inventory under the right button. The spacebar reveals all hot spots. There are around 60 different scenes to explore which should take 15 hours to complete.

The reviewer - Benjamin Braun - concludes with (free translation ahem): "I have fully enjoyed my time in the whispered world. Graphically TWW has convinced me, gameplaywise in variation and balance, with it's humoristic and well written dialogs, have drawn me deeper in to the adventure than I expected in the beginning."

So the game has at least one big fan. Now I'm convinced too, might not even wait for the English version
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
That, sir, is a slap in the face of adventure game fans everywhere!
Tell that the Adventure-Treff.de staff!
Krawall.de also posted a review, giving it 87%, 3% more than Tunguska. So, there is hope.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
That, sir, is a slap in the face of adventure game fans everywhere!
Tell that the Adventure-Treff.de staff!
Krawall.de also posted a review, giving it 87%, 3% more than Tunguska. So, there is hope.
Don’t worry, mate, that comment was actually a joke and not meant to be taken seriously. I certainly didn't want to offend you (unless you actually worked on 'Tunguska' )

I seriously didn’t think you were saying it was literally just like it because it scored just as well.

Personally I think there's only so much a review can tell you. The score is the opinion of just 1 person (or a very small group of people at best). They can try to be as detailed on the games features and other pertinent information but after that you're better off with screen shots and trailers. Preferably shots and videos of the game play as opposed to stills and trailers of cut scenes. And even then it’s not going to give you as much of an impression of the game as actually playing will.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #146

No worries, I know you weren't serious.
That begs the question how many more smilies I should post...maybe one for every line?
Yeah, why not.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #147
J.H
Frak.

I'm really glad that one of the pro's is long play time I was hoping this game would be a long one. Is there still no demo?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #148

Well, technically, there is one, but don't search for it, you would regret it. It's several years old and shows the game in a very early state.

Afaik Daedalic wants to get out a new demo before release.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #149

I'm a little worried about the nature of the puzzles in the game after seeing this. So far I'd heard that the game was going to be more like monkey island or broken sword, except with more fantasy. Now I'm worried that a lot of them might be more like Prof. Layton's.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #150

Dammit, I killed another one
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #151

Die, thread!
Ooops, wrong topic.

(BTW, I know the frustration of seemingly killing a thread all too well.)
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #152

TWW got 84% from 4Players.de and 85% from PcGames.de

4Players criticized the often too tricky puzzles for casual players, no help-system and simple animations.

Review video with spoiler:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...t.html?refresh
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #153
Adventure Dude =]

Tricky puzzles? No help system? simple animation? This just sealed it for me. I can't wait for this game! =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #154

Wow... this is the first adventure where i'm seriously considering buying the german version. Kind of amazing since i never learnt the german language in the first place.

Don't know if it's the case, but it has a certain melancholic sadness in there somewhere. Love the music. Gives me a Kaczmarek vibe (Finding Neverland movie) or even Yann tiersen. Graphics are awesome.

Sorry if asked before, but has there been any news/word on a english version yet?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #155
Chicken with a bite

Steve Ince was involved with editing the English version (source: his Twitter microblog thingy and his blog).
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
Steve Ince was involved with editing the English version (source: his Twitter microblog thingy and his blog).
Hmm... in that case, we should definately see an english version, it seems. Hopefully "soon-ish" or at least some kind of estimated time frame. Difficult decisions... wait for the english version or buy the german version.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #157

The UK release was already mentioned on page 5 of this thread. Haven't seen any contradicting news yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Damn yes 23 oct for uk release

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...f-october-2009

Now give me details on system requirements and i am all set.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
... and simple animations.
Having seen the newer trailer this is something that's worried me. Frames of the characters often seem minimal or missing. That being said, I'm sure if the story and voice acting are engrossing enough, I'll forget all about it in 2 minutes.

Glad to here Steve Ince has involvement with the english version, although I'm thinking of getting the German version too seeing as it seems to have the soundtrack included (as shown on Whispered World's facebook page), something which I doubt the UK version will have.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #159

Default Astronomical Reviews

I can't wait for the 28th August in Germany. I pre-ordered the game some weeks ago. Now i am looking forward very much, because the game receives very high ratings. Nearly in every test the game is the new reference in the Adventure genre.

Spieletipps.de gave 89%

http://www.spieletipps.de/artikel/2270/1/

and

Gamona.de also gave 89%

http://www.gamona.de/games/the-whisp...age-fazit.html

They say, that Daedalic is in the olymp of adventure games with Lucas Arts and Sierra.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #160
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Tricky puzzles?
OK, then I'm getting more interested all of a sudden: