You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Excitement Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #41
hello

Its pretty hard to tell if this game will live up to expectations from what we have seen so far. What we can tell is they are trying to distance themselves from the first game, so they dont scare off people who think adventure games are old and boring. For example choosing to call the game "dreamfall" and nowhere in the title indicating it is a sequel, to someone who is not aware of the first game. Including fighting in the game, to try and attract the more action oriented crowd. I wouldnt be getting my hopes up too much if you are a huge fan of classic adventures such as grim fandango or the first Longest Journey.

as for the graphics, they look reasonable, but defineatly not anything special, and certainly no way near as good as games like F.E.A.R, oblivion, Doom 3, quake 4, Far Cry, Black and white 2, call of duty 2 etc etc... so lets hope they can actually program, and this game runs smoothly. There is nothing worse than a game with bad graphics which runs worse than a game with amazing graphics that is programmed well and runs smooth. From the look of the screenshots this game should run smooth on a reasonable GFX card, e.g 6600gt or an x700 if programmed well.

Anyway, i am hoping as much as you all that this game will be awesome
Old 03-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #42
merely human

In other words, Tornquist and his minions want to keep the essence of the adventure game without resorting to the old and predictable trappings like 2D graphics and the put-the-2-dozen-otherwise-stupidly-incompatible-items-together puzzles.

To be honest I damn well respect and admire the man for trying to get away from that stuff in order to explore new and challenging ways to experience a game. Too bad he may end up alienating some fans and others who don't want change, but HEY! that's the way the world works. Different strokes for different folks.

Besides, there ARE many other adventure games out there that are more 'traditional', far more than 'different' adventure games like Dreamfall or Indigo Prophecy. If you don't like Dreamfall just play those other games.

*shrugs*
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #43
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
as for the graphics, they look reasonable, but defineatly not anything special, and certainly no way near as good as games like F.E.A.R, oblivion, Doom 3, quake 4, Far Cry, Black and white 2, call of duty 2 etc etc...
Why does everything need to be compared? They're completely different games in completely different worlds. As for the graphics looking "reasonable"... what are you smoking babe? They look pretty damn good from where I'm sitting. Pretty "special" in my opinion. To each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
To be honest I damn well respect and admire the man for trying to get away from that stuff in order to explore new and challenging ways to experience a game.
HELLZ YEA MO FO! Innovate!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM   #44
Super Moderator

There's games out there for every taste - you have to play what you like and if people are worried about Dreamfall, they can wait for the demo to come out and give it a try. I like all kinds of adventure games (even those that others go UGH at). I played BS3 and loved it (I even got used to the crates) but I was ready for a differently (and slower) paced game after that. What I play often depends on my mood but I'm definitely trying Dreamfall.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #45
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Why does everything need to be compared? They're completely different games in completely different worlds. As for the graphics looking "reasonable"... what are you smoking babe? They look pretty damn good from where I'm sitting. Pretty "special" in my opinion. To each his own!

The reason i compared, is an earlier poster stated they hope the game has graphics that push the boundaries. Clearly, they do not. And if you ask any PC graphics enthusiast, they would say the screenshots look reasonable at best... lacking per pixel lighting, HDR, low polygon modeling with flat textures etc. this game will be carried by its story and gameplay, not its graphics...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #46
merely human

Right. Seriously, I'm not planning to get Dreamfall because it's 't3h g0d' in the graphics department, I want it because it looks to be an awesome experience in terms of story, character, challenges, and general atmosphere.

But frankly I do love that it's in real time 3D because I love being able jump 'INTO' the gameworld as it dynamically shifts and moves 'around' me, instead of just pushing a little cursor over a 'lifeless' flat painting trying to find the 1 or 2 tiny hotspots. There are other games like that (Still Life comes to mind) and I can appreciate that, but NOT EVERY adventure game should be 2D only. C'mon, give me some damn variety here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
o/\o

< remembers that eriq has imaginary tits >

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-31-2006, 11:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
Its pretty hard to tell if this game will live up to expectations from what we have seen so far.
It won't. i don't know if it will be great adventure game or not, but the hype for is so insane, that no game would be able to live up to it
Old 03-31-2006, 11:24 PM   #48
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll
But again, I still think there's a place for the traditional point & click adventure and would be really disappointed to see Dreamfall abandon that.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Although not a traditional point & click adventure by any means, Dreamfall is trying to keep all that was good about those games while updating things that needed improving to catch up with the times and to make gamelay better.

The question of traditional vs. modern has been beaten to death on these forums. If you'd like to read more about it, I suggest you start here.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #49
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I'm excited!!!

And you can already pre-order the german version at Amazon.de! For some reason it's listed as "Petri Heil 2", though...Somebody messed up here.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to Marius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Right. Seriously, I'm not planning to get Dreamfall because it's 't3h g0d' in the graphics department, I want it because it looks to be an awesome experience in terms of story, character, challenges, and general atmosphere.
I wholly agree with you. I don't care a bit if the graphics is not top notch, what I really want is strong and credible characters, a coherent world and, what I think counts very much for me, great sound and music. I actually feel that the music is more important than the graphics, although that might be just my personal taste. Very recently I finished Anachronox and I have to say that I was stunned by how a game which such awful graphics could have characters so incredibly full of life. Don't forget the voice-overs, they are also more important than graphics, much more important.
So now I think it's best that I get back to hibernation - I don't want to know anything more of the game, I want the experience to be fresh. I don't want to read previews, I don't want spoilers, I don't want to hear theories and speculations, I just want this game
And hopefully this will be almost what we expect it to be, what we want it to be.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
It won't. i don't know if it will be great adventure game or not, but the hype for is so insane, that no game would be able to live up to it
Don't even think about that. I'm afraid , I am so afraid you might be right, and I don't want to be disappointed.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #52
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius
Don't even think about that. I'm afraid , I am so afraid you might be right, and I don't want to be disappointed.
Nah, it's pretty awesome. Fear not
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Nah, it's pretty awesome. Fear not
Thanks for supporting me.
I hope it'll be so, I hope so with all my heart.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 PM   #54
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Thanks for supporting me.
I hope it'll be so, I hope so with all my heart.
Trust me

(and RaMa)
Old 04-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #55
merely human

Incidentally, for those who care, the movie Silent Hill will debut 4 days after Dreamfall launches.

Anyway...

Yay Dreamfall!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #56
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

People aren't complaing about the graphics are they? With the state of adventure gaming you'd think as long as its in colour its good enough.... Kidding, but graphics are hardly the biggest worry of adventure gamers.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #57

Quote:
I'm afraid also. Even assuming the game will be amazing..you will still be horribly dissapoited when after mere 15hrs or less you will see the ending credits
Old 04-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #58
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Everyone should stop moaning and go pre order the game.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #59
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Everyone should stop moaning and go pre order the game.

My words exactly! Stop worrying your teeth out already! You'll still need them, you know.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:39 AM   #60
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
I'm afraid also. Even assuming the game will be amazing..you will still be horribly dissapoited when after mere 15hrs or less you will see the ending credits
Well, there're 13 chapters plus a prologue and an epilogue, so 15 hours might be a little on the pessimistic side there.