You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I need some recommendations, probably vintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #1

Default I need some recommendations, probably vintage

Hi, I wonder if I could get some sage advice on some adventure games to try I'd be very grateful. I'm looking for more adventure games to play but I want to make an informed choice rather than randomly picking up games. It doesn't matter the age of the game, only the story and gameplay matter to me

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of all the adventure games i've played/completed (same thing):

Another Code
Beneath a Steel Sky
Blade Runner
Broken Sword 1 & 2
Day of the Tentacle
Discworld 1 -3
Dreamfall
Duckman
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones LC & FOA
Leisure Suit Larry 1
Longest Journey
Loom
Maniac Mansion
Monkey Island 1 - 4
Nightlong
Operation Stealth
Phoenix Wright
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Sam & Max
Shadowgate
Simon the Sorceror 1 & 2
Snatcher
Star Trek 'A Final Unity'
The Addams Family
The Fish Files
Toonstruck

My favourites out of all of these have been Monkey Island 1 & 2, Longest Journey, the Indiana Jones games, Flight of the Amazon Queen and the Broken Sword games. The only ones i've really disliked was Mystery of the Druids and Operation Stealth.
I'm not really into first person games like Myst, and i'm not really into stressing whether or not my character is going to die in a scary way all the time between puzzles, I like my adventure games to be at least somewhat relaxing hehe. I was thinking about playing a few classics, like police quest, kings quest or space quest, quest for glory but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks for any recommendations people can give

Last edited by beatchef; 06-19-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

I am a huge fan of the Quest games but most of them do have a lot of ways to die, so if that's a big deal to you, you might not want to play those.

I suggest trying AGDI's remakes of King's Quest 1 and 2 to get a feel for what these games are like. Their KQ1 remake is exactly like the original (deaths included!), but they expanded KQ2 quite a bit to give it a more in-depth story. You can download both of these remakes for free from their website.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #3

As long as they're stupid deaths rather than scary ones it's no problem hehe
It's only a problem in adventure games for me for some reason, anything else is no problem
Just no games like Darkseed, I have no mouth and I must scream etc.. I'm guessing that Barrow Hill and Still Life are like those?

Last edited by beatchef; 06-18-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #4

Since The Feeble Files came up in another thread, and is now playable under XP, you might want to give it a shot. It's really good, and extremely funny. But, it's also one of the hardest games ever. I mean, the Discworld and Simon the Sorcerer games are all a walk in the park by comparison.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 06-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #5

Thanks, maybe I'll give it a try as you suggested when SCUMMVM works with it, I'm not sure I like the idea of it being harder than Discworld though, I may snap it in half hehehe

Fov, thanks for the link! I'll be sure to give those a look. Free is good!

What is that game that starts in a carriage with a princess? I'll have to go look, I saw it a long time ago and was tempted to play. Last Express is another one i'm tempted by, but I'm not sure about the type of gameplay, Star Trek A Final Unity drove me mad sometimes. If only there were more games like Snatcher
Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchef
Thanks, maybe I'll give it a try as you suggested when SCUMMVM works with it, I'm not sure I like the idea of it being harder than Discworld though, I may snap it in half hehehe
I disagree with Kurufinwe. Feeble Files is very hard in *some* places. But it's a totally different kind of hard than Discworld.

Quote:
What is that game that starts in a carriage with a princess?
Eric the Unready? That's a text adventure with pics though.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:35 AM   #7

Yeah, I found it and started playing it after I wrote that message, I think it's great I've got the pitchfork already!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:22 AM   #8

How about Beneath a steel sky, a genuine case of abandonware.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:31 AM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Yeah, I found it and started playing it after I wrote that message, I think it's great I've got the pitchfork already!
All adventures by Legend are great. Well, at least the ones that I have played...
Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly3
How about Beneath a steel sky, a genuine case of abandonware.
I knew that I missed a game or two out! Let me add it to the list of games i've completed.

Is it really abandonware now? On my version at least, it came on a cd and was a full talkie.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #11
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I knew that I missed a game or two out! Let me add it to the list of games i've completed.

Is it really abandonware now? On my version at least, it came on a cd and was a full talkie.
Have you played Touche: The adventures of the fifth musketeer? The Gene Machine?

PS: And I'd recommend Stupid Invaders as well. You either think it's hilarious or you feel disgusted. I loved it.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #12

Try to add these games to your list

- touché
- runaway
- ankh
- gobliins (1-3)

If you want to start with sierra games you have a lot of good choices
but since you don't like dying I would suggest to start with gabriel knight.
You still can die in it but not as much as in the king/space quest games.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
BASS is freeware and both the CD and disk versions are available for download through the ScummVM website.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #14

I'll take a look at all these suggestions

re: the dying, I don't mind if it's like the character gets sliced i half or falls down a trapdoor or is disintegrated or something, it's if it's well acted.

Gobliiins is considered an adventure game? Hmmm, yeah, I suppose it is.. I thought of it more of a puzzle game, I had it on the Amiga and it really annoyed me, but i'll always remember 'niddle-I-wob niddle-I-wob elzbllellezeleelzele OOOOOWAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!' etc the stupid noises that they made
Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Definitely try Gabriel Knight 1-3. Some of the finest adventure games ever made.

Also try Legend of Kyrandia 1-3.

Firefox rules