You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Excitement Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #701
capsized.

Trep, screw it. I'm gonna climb under a rock (literally) and stick to my Commodore 64 emulator. Gee, has "Boulder Dash" always been that hard a game? :eek:
Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #702
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Trep, screw it. I'm gonna climb under a rock (literally) and stick to my Commodore 64 emulator. Gee, has "Boulder Dash" always been that hard a game? :eek:
The problem is that I've played on those systems from 1981 already and I'm sick of that shit and need to move on! LOL!! I mean, why should I keep playing text based Zork when I got The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on my Xbox360, which is far finer and more deep an 'adventure game' than many of the 'true' adventure games I've seen come out in the past few years? I'm still in the middle of Dreamfall and I love it. Looking forward to finding out more about Heavy Rain and Omikron 2.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #703
I've come for the fork!

Well I didn't say ancient systems! I also didn't say Dreamfall's requirements are/were too steep. I said if you want them maxed out, they require a beefy system - which is why I say it's an engine that could and should be used for the sequel. It can be run on today's average PC, and for those with a bigger budget it can be scaled to look nicer.
Oh yeah - there should definately be more adventures released on consoles. The larger the audience the better.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #704
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I seriously think that's an inaccurate generalization. (...) Thing is, why do we all have to suffer just because a small niche market thinks adventure games should run on ancient systems?
I am confused.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #705
merely human

Well, I'll put it this way. The adventure gaming community at large seems to always complain when a new game requires beefier hardware. But many non-gamers seem to have reasonably hefty PC systems as it is. I'm not necessarily talking about systems that can run HL2 or the very latest FPS with all the settings maxed out, but they can can run them at low to medium settings.

Besides, why should they complain? There are TONS of adventure games being made for the PC all the time, both commercial, indie, and underground, and they're mostly playable on 'ancient' computers. Why complain?

This community seems extremely verbal about wanting less tech advancements, but the irony is that often tech advancements can help inspire new kinds of gameplay (when the designers/publishers aren't whoring on them just to sell the game, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdriller
Well I didn't say ancient systems! I also didn't say Dreamfall's requirements are/were too steep. I said if you want them maxed out, they require a beefy system - which is why I say it's an engine that could and should be used for the sequel. It can be run on today's average PC, and for those with a bigger budget it can be scaled to look nicer.
Oh yeah - there should definately be more adventures released on consoles. The larger the audience the better.
If Tornquist and his team decide to upgrade the engine then yeah, it makes sense that in, say, 2-3 years the next game in the TLJ series will look and feel even better and those PCs will be able to run it well. Also, remember that it's possible to make the game for PS3 and Xbox360 as well, so it can reach an even wider market.

I'm all for multiplatform and diversity in adventure games. And I'm definitely for exploring new emergent technology to expand and enrich the experience in new ways.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-23-2006, 04:43 AM   #706

Since I am in a bad mood I would add that Dreamfall's graphics are 2-3 years old back of the industry standards, which is considered something of a leap forward as usually adventures are 3-5 years back. The art direction saves the day in Dreamfall that’s true but I was expecting more. Unfortunately Funcom baring in mind that the core adventure gamer couldn't play the game with his ancient system decided to use a more modest engine. Pity for the rest of us.

Inmo this thing has to stop. You like to play 2.5D or just 2D games, you can and have every right to do it but stop moaning every time some developer tries to align himself with the rest of the gaming community. Some people like myself are keen of technological advancements and want the latest graphics tricks because they have some pretty decent systems. Is this so bad? Let's hope Heavy Rain demo is worth the buzz... I would happily change my whole setup if this game delivers.

Anyway in various adventure forums I have read things like my GForce MX 400 this or my Pentium II that or can I play this with 128 MB of Ram? etc. Some people react like they are from planet TimeStop. Are you really so poor that you can’t afford a $100 dollar 6600GT card? Don't think so... A 6600GT used in a 2.5D adventure with typical 1-3 characters on screen could render some pretty outstanding models but… why upgrade its all about the story… I wonder if Lucas or Sierra games back hadn’t those cutting edge graphics could they have been the classics they are today?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 AM   #707
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

You're oversimplifying things, phankiejankie.

Upgrading an old PC is not just changing your graphics card. I would like to see you stick PCI-Express card in a Pentium3 class computer, you automatically need... a new mother board, oh wait, there are no pci-e motherboards for pentium3, let's get a new processor... you have SDRAM? Tough luck, new motherboard supports only DDR... etc, etc... you see, you get a chain reaction, just for wanting to upgrade graphics card, worth those 100$ you mentioned.

And just because you can afford it, that doesn't mean most of average population can as well; same people have other priorities in life, families to provide for...
Old 05-23-2006, 06:21 AM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
You're oversimplifying things, phankiejankie
Going into so much detail didn’t seemed as a good idea to me but your point is valid. It depends on the computer though, usually the upgrade is more like a platform shift than anything else as you suggest but there are still some beefy AGP cards out there and pretty cheap too. I must admit that PCI Express screw things up a bit as most people have AGP mainboards.

To sum it up the more recent is your computer the less painful is the upgrade path. That is why you need to constantly upgrade
Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #709
Bad command or file name

I'm with phankie on this one. People cannot expect a computer to be game-worthy if it is 8 years old. Slight upgrades here and there will get the most out of a computer but if you are running a Pentium 2 or 3... there is no way around it... get a new damn system already. You can build a spiffy gaming rig for $600 but when on a budget, I can do an adequate one for about $300. The key is to be smart when building and design out an upgrade path. Things like putting in a cheap vid card right away then upgrading to a beefier one in a year or so really help stretch those pennies. Technology and graphics are going to keep advancing weather your computer does or not. There is just no excuse for someone to be complaining that games aren't designed for their 5-year-old computer. I'm happy to offer advice on computer buying or upgrading if anyone needs help. Just send me a PM or start a thread in chit chat.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #710
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Did you guys read this review? LOL. Look at what the reviewer says about adventure gamers at the bottom next to the score!

http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/dreamfallthelongestjourney.phtml
Old 05-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #711
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Did you guys read this review? LOL. Look at what the reviewer says about adventure gamers at the bottom next to the score!

Dang that is harsh... and way out of touch.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #712
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq

Quote:
Combat is lacking, might be a bit too easy for hardcore adventure gamers (if they are still alive and able to walk around without adult diapers).
LMAO! Too funny, too funny.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #713
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

I haven't read the whole review, but I don't think it's a very good one. I mean, why did he put those comments below the pictures? And "Dreamfall takes place some 20 years from now"? I didn't know we lived in the year 2199.
That's why I was surprised he gave it a 83/100. But then again, I didn't read the whole review, so my opinion about this guys could be totally off .
Old 05-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #714
Dungeon Master

No, you're right. It's a pathetic review.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #715
Explorer

Hmm, I wanted to ask a question but didn't want to start a new thread - so decided to drag out this really old one instead!

Anyway, I wondered, do you think "Dreamfall: TLJ" should have been just called "Dreamfall" instead? I kind of think... maybe yes.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #716
Explorer

Hmm, AG removed this file, does anyone have it? It's the first image of Dreamfall released I think as a Christmas card - this is the larger wallpaper version of it.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/downl...-xmas-card.zip
Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #717
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Yes, I have it.