You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Excitement Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
oh please. If people are going to bitch and moan and bring the game down, I'm going to do just the opposite. For once there's something really cool coming out. And as usual, there are people complaining about playing times and a bunch of other fluff for a title that hasn't even been released yet.

tired.... boring.... jaded gamersssssss..... (snore)
oh..come on..just because I don't experience extasy everytime I see title"dreamfall" written anywhere like you do doesn't mean I'm moaning. Not everyone has to be so biased towards it like you do.
I expect Dreamfall to be excelent adventure game, but just because I don't think it will be second coming of Christ(and that's how big the hype for it is) doesn't man I'm jaded. Realisticaly no game hyped as much as Dreamfall has ever lived up the the hype, people are just setting themselves up for dissapoitment. I've seen this with Half-life2, Warcraft3, Oblivion, NeverWinterNights and many many other cases
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #82
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
Realisticaly no game hyped as much as Dreamfall has ever lived up the the hype, people are just setting themselves up for dissapoitment. I've seen this with Half-life2, Warcraft3, Oblivion, NeverWinterNights and many many other cases
I'm certainly glad you're not jaded, then.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:28 AM   #83
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

lol.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:04 AM   #84
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
Not everyone has to be so biased towards it like you do. I expect Dreamfall to be excelent adventure game, but just because I don't think it will be second coming of Christ(and that's how big the hype for it is) doesn't man I'm jaded.
Personally, I expect it to be a really good, gorgeous game. Of course Ragner has still yet to prove that he's not only a pretty decent storyteller, but also an equally good game designer. He knows what was wrong with TLJ, and that's one of the many reasons why I'm excited.

Second Coming? That's the kind of thing I used to expect from Lookin Glass (RIP). And usually, they delivered just that.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #85
Adventure Game Researcher

Ragnar was in New York not too long ago working on the voicing, and he said they were going well, (on his blog)....they took a lot of time finding just the right voices. I heard there will be two sound tracks released, but who knows at this point?

I am quite sure this will be a masterpiece, I thought LJ was one and this will be for other reasons, we know the content and story will be first rate and the same sense of humour and vision will prevail I am very sure. I am glad that they are doing this game, and the question of graphics is one of visuality, and that is achieved both through content, meaning and the technical things. We are in another revolution of graphics innovations as CryTek has achieved with Far Cry and other similarly, but that does not gurantee the quality of the story, depth of the back story and the playability of the game.

So I remain unqualifiedly excited and hopeful and very much looking forward to this latest release from one of the best development companies in the world today, FunCom!

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 04-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Although not a traditional point & click adventure by any means, Dreamfall is trying to keep all that was good about those games while updating things that needed improving to catch up with the times and to make gamelay better.
Well, I hope they can somehow pull that off.

Quote:
The question of traditional vs. modern has been beaten to death on these forums. If you'd like to read more about it, I suggest you start here.
Well thanks, but to be honest I wasn't looking for a debate between traditional or modern. I have played enough games of all genres over the years to have my own opinion I think. I don't think a forum debate is gonna influence me as much as my 23 years of prior experience
Old 04-02-2006, 03:32 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Besides, there ARE many other adventure games out there that are more 'traditional', far more than 'different' adventure games like Dreamfall or Indigo Prophecy. If you don't like Dreamfall just play those other games.

*shrugs*
The problem with that is that most of those "other" games are low-effort, low budget, third rate crap. The cool thing with TLJ was that it was original, detailed and done really well. AND it was successfull. I don't think it's wrong to hope a sequel to be a sequel and not a totally different game altogether. Just like I would be disappointed to see the next Zelda game come out as a FPS or something
Old 04-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #88
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll
The problem with that is that most of those "other" games are low-effort, low budget, third rate crap. The cool thing with TLJ was that it was original, detailed and done really well. AND it was successfull. I don't think it's wrong to hope a sequel to be a sequel and not a totally different game altogether. Just like I would be disappointed to see the next Zelda game come out as a FPS or something
Well, isn't that the reality. No, it's certainly not wrong to hope for a sequel to be a particular way, primarily because it's what you're used to. But the developer and publisher make those decisions if they see it in their favour. It just so happens that the particular way Dreamfall will be is in my favour in terms of what I want.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #89
Grah! Grah!

This traditional vs modern bullshit doesn't make any sense to me; Dreamfall looks as traditional as they come, certainly more traditional than anything that hack Benoit Sokal's touched, and that's why I'm looking forward to it. Everything I've read and seen leads me to believe Dreamfall's only something astonishingly new and different if your knowledge of adventure games begins with the year 2001. The notion that direct control is incompatible with the adventure genre is laughable (ever played any Sierra game prior to 1990, and some after?) All Tornquist is doing is getting away from this newfangled point and click gimmickry and back to the real essence of the genre. (Last sentence at least partially toungue in cheek, if anyone doesn't realise.)
Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #90
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll
I agree, if they have to change the game so much because "traditional adventures" are boring and crap, isnt that like saying the first game is crap?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #91
merely human

Not necessarily. If may just mean Tornquist and Funcom wanted to do things differently this time. Who knows? Maybe they themselves decided they're sick and tired of those traditional interfaces and wanted to do it a new way.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #92
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Not necessarily. If may just mean Tornquist and Funcom wanted to do things differently this time. Who knows? Maybe they themselves decided they're sick and tired of those traditional interfaces and wanted to do it a new way.
Yeah fair enough for wanting to make something new/innovative too...

But i do think it is a pity developers have decided games like grim fandango, TLJ, monkey island etc etc, are to boring/limited and we may never again see games like that again (with high production values that is). Because it is not true, otherwise most of us wouldnt be here visiting this site...
Old 04-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #93
merely human

Yes, it's a pity, I guess. Still, with due respect to nostalgia, I personally am looking forward to more threads where it's not ten year old games that are being discussed.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #94
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick
But i do think it is a pity developers have decided games like grim fandango, TLJ, monkey island etc etc, are to boring/limited and we may never again see games like that again (with high production values that is). Because it is not true, otherwise most of us wouldnt be here visiting this site...
Well there ARE some surprises coming from new developers that fall into the more "traditional" point/click genre. The classic model is certainly not dead.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #95
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Is Sarah Hamilton coming back as April?

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 04-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #96
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
No, Sarah Jessica Parker will fill her shoes.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #97
merely human

Only if they're Manolo Blahniks, dawwwwling.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #98

According to IMDB and some posts at the Dreamfall forum, she will. And I'm glad she does, I loved her as April (and Raines as Crow, who's also returning).

Now, I haven't read the whole thread, but anyway: I think the traditional adventure-issue is fair to bring up, there are not many adventures trying to be like their predecessors, which is sad. Not necessarily bad, though. And not even necessarily the developers' fault, because these games don't seem to bring in the money that's needed, as far as I've heard. But this issue doesn't concern Dreamfall, I think, because Ragnar Tornquist* knows what he's doing, and if Dreamfall now becomes a dynamic game with action in it, (as the site states it's officially an action-adventure) maybe it just makes the game better. It sounds like there aren't as many situations now that actually stop the flow of the story, you are given a choice whether you want to solve some puzzles, stalk or fight, apparently; changing the gameplay may have been an important decision for the realization of Dreamfall, and as far as this goes, I would trust the designers. Maybe the game will scare people off, or be hated, because it's not 'traditional', but I - obviously just can - guess it was the right thing to do for Funcom, creating a game they wanted to create, and maybe even develop a story as Tornquist wouldn't have been able to do in a traditional point and click-adventure.

What I worry about now is first of all the thing with three characters; I know I just said Ragnar Tornquist knows what he's doing in terms of story and development, but what I liked about TLJ was April's journey, her character, her development and how she reacted to the world. Sure, now it depends on how well they manage to do this three times, but isn't Dreamfall to be supposed to be shorter than the prequel? With thrice as much characters?
And secondly, I didn't like the voice acting of Zoe** at all. The dialog between her and her dad was okay - if I remember correctly somebody complaint about the lack of facial expressions, but I can accept that, it was more how Zoe's voice didn't seem to fit so well, after all. But this is an early judgement, maybe it's an issue of habit.

*someday I find out how I do this slashthingy through the o.
**And someday, too, I will know how I get the points over the e.

...wow, took me too long to post.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #99
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
Yep, it's her
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #100
merely human

Hey tabs, considering how dark, cynical, and jaded April had become in the past ten years after TLJ, does than mean that Miss Hamilton's voice active will reflect that?