You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Coining terms inspired by Adventuregames

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default Coining terms inspired by Adventuregames

I don't know if this thread should be here or in ChitChat, so mods - do your stuff.

Ok, I thought of this one day when I was hanging out with some friends. One of them was wearing the same pair of jeans and t-shirt for over a week, and I couldn't help burst out, "Man, you're doing a Gabriel!"

"What's a Gabriel?" he asked.

So I explained to him that in GK3, Gabriel Knight wore the same white t-shirt and blue jeans the entire three days while all the other characters had a change of clothes every day. So this gave me a bright idea - can you guys coin up other terms relating to adenturegames?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 06-17-2006, 01:26 AM   #2

Maybe 'doing a Threepwood' could be substituted for holding your breath for a long time hehe.

Apart from that, I really can't think of any, only saying quotes from adventure games in real life like 'What you expected has not happened" (Shadowgate) "That doesn't work" (Discworld) "Papapichu!", "I want to be a fireman!" "i'm a mighty pirate" "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" and "Look behind you, a three headed monkey" (you know) etc etc

A person who looks at women and talks about women all the time but are pretty un-lady-killer-like (I know a few of those) could be termed Larrys, from Leisure Suit Larry hehe. I keep remembering that SNL sketch with Jim carrey and two others running around in leisure suits chasing women #What is love?#

Last edited by beatchef; 06-17-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:17 AM   #3

“Want some rye? Course ya do!”
Old 06-17-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchef
Maybe 'doing a Threepwood' could be substituted for holding your breath for a long time hehe.
"Threepwooding" would be the act of making stupid jokes incessantly in the face of mortal danger.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:45 AM   #5

He can only make stupid jokes in the face of mortal danger cause he's in a Lucasarts game, and everyone knows you can't die in those!

Threepwooding could also be the act of anything you say coming out as "mppghgphghpghppypypptlytltylrpblblbplr" when trying to speak to someone you find really attractive
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Green
“Want some rye? Course ya do!”
I actually say that once in a while.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
Staff Member

In our house, the quote "wait till you're a grown-up, and can buy candy and eat it whenever you want" from CMI gets aired frequently. (That was probably misquoted, what the hell)
Old 06-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
"But... It's Pink."

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow!" is DEFINITELY a phrase which comes out of my mouth once too often.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Lurking Myst Missionary

Wohba! As in "Wohbanobongu". Variously translated as 'Yikes!', 'WOO!' and 'Cool!' depending on the situation. Very much like "dude" in that respect. Currently in residence at www.wohba.com, which is full of more cool stuff than you can shake a stick at.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
I don't know if this thread should be here or in ChitChat, so mods - do your stuff.

Ok, I thought of this one day when I was hanging out with some friends. One of them was wearing the same pair of jeans and t-shirt for over a week, and I couldn't help burst out, "Man, you're doing a Gabriel!"
But... what's wrong with wearing the same clothes for over a week?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #11

Sometimes, when someone says "hello" to me, I respond with "hello to you too," as per The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I can't think of any others that I've actually used in conversation, but I do have distinct recollections of pixel-hunting for my keys or my wallet a few times.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Lazy Bee

I don't use any phrases from Adventure games, but a couple of weeks ago, when I was playing B.S The sleeping Dragon I passed a scaffolding at one of the buildings in town. I felt this urge to climb it (since that's what you do whenever there's a scaffolding around right!) and almost started laughing as I walked by it all by myself.