You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Adventure Shop Adventure Shop launches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #41
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
P.s Jackel.. I presume being an affiliate AG gets a share of sales generated from the site. How do we make sure that happens if I bookmark their site?
If you use this address as your bookmark, you should be all set:

http://adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/?affilie=AG

And yes, you're exactly right, as an affiliate AG will get a percentage of each sale, but only if the affiliate links are used. As Yankee noted, the key is looking for the "affilie=AG" at the end.

Thanks for everyone for the great feedback. And welcome to the newcomers that the shop has lured out of the woodwork.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #42

Finished downloading 'Still Life' from The Adventure Shop this morning...and installation was a breeze! There were no hiccups, or funny-business (even for a first time digital-downloader like myself)!! Everything works perfectly!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalewashingdolphin View Post
Finished downloading 'Still Life' from The Adventure Shop this morning...and installation was a breeze! There were no hiccups, or funny-business (even for a first time digital-downloader like myself)!! Everything works perfectly!
Yay! I'm glad it worked out well for youl. Out of curiosity, are you in N. America, Europe or elsewhere?

My download was slow (4.5 - 5 hrs. for a 1.2 GB file - this will be sped up soon so that shouldn't be an issue for long). When I went to activate my game, I ended up using a manuel activation code (which went pretty smoothly) as I could never get in contact with the activation servers with my serial number.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Yay! I'm glad it worked out well for youl. Out of curiosity, are you in N. America, Europe or elsewhere?
I'm in North America (Canada). Yeah, I left mine to download overnight...so that this morning it was ready...I think it must have taken about 4-5 hours (about 160Kbs) to download 'Still Life'. Super Exciting!! (^____^)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #45
fire breathing

So, I'm downloading Deleware St. John, and it's going at 21k per sec.

Is this what you call a "high-speed" download?

Still, great idea, and I'm sure the site will get plenty of use. Myself included.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:31 AM   #46
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Sorry to hear that BenjaminBunny. The download speed for US customers was unusually low over the weekend as it turned out some of the US servers didn't have all the games on it yet. It will be remedied this week, so hopefully if you download something again it will go much faster. Europe should be at optimal speed already.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #47
Caffein Queen

My experience was a breeze too - also the activation
I was on the european server and the speed for Secrets of Atlantis was around 460kB/sec.

Right now I'm downloading the english version of Jack Keane from Gamersgate and my speed says 584kB/sec. - that's actually quite high for me

Out of curiosity what's the normal speed for your EU servers, and where are they located?

Oh and since my question never got answered, why is it, that the EU server has Barrow Hill and Keepsake and not Undercover: Operation wintersun?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter

Last edited by misslilo; 11-19-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #48
Developer

Needed Games:

* Loom
* Fate of Atlantis
* Sam and Max: Hit the Road
* Day of the Tentacle
* Discworld Noir
* Gabriel Knight series

...give me some more time. I'm sure that I can come up with some more.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #49
Keep the faith :)

My experience was a breeze too - also the activation
I was on the european server and the speed for Secrets of Atlantis was around 460kB/sec..

Hi Misslilo, thanks for your download, could you send me an IM ?? I ve got a question for you...I will try to reach you too

Out of curiosity what's the normal speed for your EU servers, and where are they located?

Everywhere in Europe (Paris, Amsterdam....etc etc)

Oh and since my question never got answered, why is it, that the EU server has Barrow Hill and Keepsake and not Undercover: Operation wintersun?[/QUOTE]

Just a question of rights, from publishers..

Last edited by Yankee; 11-19-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #50
Adventure Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvllrgrs View Post
Needed Games:

* Loom
* Fate of Atlantis
* Sam and Max: Hit the Road
* Day of the Tentacle
* Discworld Noir
* Gabriel Knight series

...give me some more time. I'm sure that I can come up with some more.
A very good list. Marek already suggested Discworld Noir, Gabriel Knight and Day of the Tentacle. Not easy ones to get, but I promise that we'l do our best to bring those games up ;-)
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #51

Since we're going to do wishlists, there are some games from the late 90s that were extremely good and that many people seem to have missed (and that can be hard to find now): Obsidian, Sanitarium, The Last Express, the Tex Murphy games, Faust... I consider these to be better games than most of the so-called 'classics' of the early 90s. I already own the games on that list, but I'm sure others could be interested (and I know there's a re-release of Sanitarium that's supposed not to crash every 5 minutes on XP; I'd definitely buy that).

(of course, one of the reasons why these games are hard to find is that the developers have long been out of business; still, if The Last Express is on Gametap and Sanitarium got a re-release a few years ago, there must still be publishers somewhere)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #52
fire breathing

If the Tex Murphy games were posted for legal download that would be fabulous.

Oh, and my connection is much faster now. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #53

Default Thoughts on the new Adventure Shop

Since their forums link links to here, thought I'd see what people thought.

My initial impressions after visiting the site are that it's a pretty cool idea and probably great for people who live in places where getting adventure games can be difficult. I also very much like the fact that you can burn the game to a CD-DVD and that you can install it three times before getting locked out.

I don't like the prices at all, unfortunately. When will downloading services learn that (at least some people, including me) will not pay full retail price for a downloaded game that they can get much cheaper off of other Internet sites and retail stores! I would have downloaded Syberia if it hadn't been for $20 as I can get it locally for $10 or less. Just a thought - drop the price by five bucks under full retail and see if it makes a difference.

Of course, I realize that they may be hampered in what they can charge, but ya know?

Layout and game selection seems fine, especially as the place is just getting started.

Haven't tried downloading anything as the prices are too high for me.

Anyone else?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #54

I've been very vocal on how much I LOVE the Adventure Shop website already...so I'll just comment on the pricing...

I think it's fairly reasonable...true, the prices might be a bit more than retail...but if I was going to purchase one of these games from Amazon or such...I'd have to pay a bit more for shipping and such, and through The Adventure Shop I don't have to. While I may not be keen on paying $39.99 for a game like 'Cleopatra', I'd be MORE than happy to do so for games like 'Culpa Innata', 'Next Life', or 'Gray Matter' *wink wink, nudge nudge* (^____^)
Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #55
Adventure Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Since we're going to do wishlists, there are some games from the late 90s that were extremely good and that many people seem to have missed (and that can be hard to find now): Obsidian, Sanitarium, The Last Express, the Tex Murphy games, Faust... I consider these to be better games than most of the so-called 'classics' of the early 90s. I already own the games on that list, but I'm sure others could be interested (and I know there's a re-release of Sanitarium that's supposed not to crash every 5 minutes on XP; I'd definitely buy that).
Games from the late 90's may suffer from not running on XP and Vista. We can manage to have the games to running on XP, but Vista is pain in the...
This platform is really different from XP, and it usually requires additionnal development in order to maximize compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
(of course, one of the reasons why these games are hard to find is that the developers have long been out of business; still, if The Last Express is on Gametap and Sanitarium got a re-release a few years ago, there must still be publishers somewhere)
If they are available on gametap, we will try to get in contact with them if games are running on Vista ;-).
Old 11-21-2007, 04:41 AM   #56

I was a little annoyed to see my post from the main forum page moved into this thread. Since the Adventure Shop forum link links directly to the adventure games section of this site, maybe there should be a sticky thread about the shop on the page where you go to if you follow the link? Kinda weird to be linked to a page from the shop's page where you're not allowed to post about the adventure shop.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #57
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by courderoy guy View Post
Since the Adventure Shop forum link links directly to the adventure games section of this site
The forum link I see at the shop links to the forum index, not the adventure forum. We already had a thread for feedback on the shop, so that is why yours was merged into it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #58

Wow this is a good good thing. In my opinion this type of arrangment between Adventure Shop and Adventure Gamers illustrates the best of what the internet can do. It allows the Adventure Gaming community the rank and file users of a product to infulence which titles are offered thats briliant. The coolist feature of the site for me is the ability to get games that arnt avalable in retail stores yet. The Sherlock Holmes games are a great example. The Awakening is only just now reaching store shelfs hear in the lone star state and I see that Adventure Shop alraidy has the next game in the serious avalable for download.

I adsolutly love the idea of putting old classics up on the site for download. I did have one question however. Now keep in mind Im not the most tech savy person so I apologize if this seems stupid. I know that with alot of really old games (think Tex Murphey or Indiana Jones) you run into compatabilty problems with newer machines. Would downlaoding elevate this problem? For instance if Adventure Shop offered the original Monkey Island would you be able to run it in Vista or XP or would you still have to use an emulator? If downloading elimenates that kind of problem then I would be really really excited about that.

Finally hear is a list of older games I would love to see in the shop.

1. The Gabriel Knight Series
2. The Tex Murphey Series
3. The Last Express
4. Broken Sword Series.

I know this may be a pipe dream but just chew on this thought for a moment everyone. Imagine all those great games you played but wished they had made another sequal for. Maybe just maybe if the original game gets lots of downloads from a sight like Adventure Shop it would demonstrate to the developer that a market is their for a sequal. How cool would that be.

Last edited by Texas; 11-21-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #59
Adventure Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Wow this is a good good thing. In my opinion this type of arrangment between Adventure Shop and Adventure Gamers illustrates the best of what the internet can do. It allows the Adventure Gaming community the rank and file users of a product to infulence which titles are offered thats briliant. The coolist feature of the site for me is the ability to get games that arnt avalable in retail stores yet. The Sherlock Holmes games are a great example. The Awakening is only just now reaching store shelfs hear in the lone star state and I see that Adventure Shop alraidy has the next game in the serious avalable for download.
This is very first idea behind the adventure shop. Adventure genre suffers in certain territory of a very limited access to retail while adventurers are armies.

Quote:
I adsolutly love the idea of putting old classics up on the site for download. I did have one question however. Now keep in mind Im not the most tech savy person so I apologize if this seems stupid. I know that with alot of really old games (think Tex Murphey or Indiana Jones) you run into compatabilty problems with newer machines. Would downlaoding elevate this problem? For instance if Adventure Shop offered the original Monkey Island would you be able to run it in Vista or XP or would you still have to use an emulator? If downloading elimenates that kind of problem then I would be really really excited about that.
If a game has compatibility issue with XP or vista, putting it online will not make a huge difference. However, it may influence developers to remaster the game. This is what is happening with older games such as The Riddle Of The Sphinx, Dracula, Road to India, etc...

Quote:
Finally hear is a list of older games I would love to see in the shop.

1. The Gabriel Knight Series
2. The Tex Murphey Series
3. The Last Express
4. Broken Sword Series.
Jackal and Marek are currently working on a new list of games to be added.
Post your request to them, we'll do our best to convince developers and publishers to be part of the Adventure Shop...

Quote:
I know this may be a pipe dream but just chew on this thought for a moment everyone. Imagine all those great games you played but wished they had made another sequal for. Maybe just maybe if the original game gets lots of downloads from a sight like Adventure Shop it would demonstrate to the developer that a market is their for a sequal. How cool would that be.
We also created this section for indies developers, which is supposed to help them to get recognition from the community, and also et revenues from their work.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #60

Naturally I'd like to see lower prices also from Adventure Shop but in reality what they're charging is fair. Some other sites - HerInteractive (Nancy Drew Series) for example - actually charge more to download than they do if you simply order the game and have them ship it to you. $5.00 more to be exact. (since you can buy their games cheaper just about anywhere else, I NEVER buy from them anyway!)

Lowering prices - even a few dollars - would probably encourage a lot more business though...........or the 'bundling' that someone else mentioned - buy 1 for a certain amount and get a little discount on the 2nd one. Just something to think about!

Last edited by Devona; 11-22-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: corrections