• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I’m breaking up with Daedalic! (not really)

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

diego - 01 September 2017 08:43 AM

Which is exactly the reason why companies that are regarded as the best in the history of adventures (and gaming, in general) are those that made games because of the love for the genre first, love for the green paper second. You can smell commercial from the miles away.

I’m not sure about that. Pretty sure if you take companies such as LucasArts, Cyan, Sierra, etc as a whole, they were just as interested in making money as they were making for their love of adventures.

Also, on the contrary, many of the worst adventure games are by those extremely passionate about the genre. Because too much creative freedom to producers with an intense love for their material can result in self-indulgent work that doesn’t align right with the needs and wants of us, the consumers.

Great artforms in just about any medium are usually developed in equal measure through passion and financial gain, carefully balanced to coincide with each other.

And if you want to talk about the greatest video games of all time, period, I’m pretty sure a large majority of those games will come from major companies formed of shareholders who have little to no interest in the games they’re developing.

This is not to be confused as me saying programmers, designers, etc, have no interest or passion in what they’re making. But some of the best forms of entertainment and art are as such just as much due to restraint, where the demand to make something more mainstream and financially viable resulted in a product more palatable or relatable hence enjoyable to the audience than if the creators were given the freedom to do whatever the heck they want.

Ultimately, everything needs to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Some great work has been made with an intense love by their creators, whilst others were nothing more than products made for a quick buck yet, for whatever reason, captured the hearts of many a consumer.

What were we talking about, again?  CrazyPan

Back on point: if a company’s latter work is seen as more commercial yet of worse quality than earlier efforts, does that always mean it was made with less care and love? Could it not have been the latter work was closer to what the creators always wanted, but have discarded previous elements that they didn’t want, yet we consumers did enjoy?

If an adventure dev decides to remove all item based puzzles in their next game because they found it a chore, or felt it affected other elements of the game (the flow, story, etc), at the expense of watering down the experience to a visual novel / interactive story, is that really them selling out?

It’s just a thought. I’ve not played Silence or any other of Daedalic’s recent games to give a personal opinion.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2015-01-11

PM

I think the deal is not so much in whether they like the money or are passionate about the game more, I think the main problem is change. If you start out with hardcore item-based puzzle design and then later on water it down to a visual novel style, the players will complain; if you introduce complex elements into your visual novel, the players will complain. It’s hard to change the direction of the company, perhaps the best thing would be to have two labels, or to pursue things on two tracks… But maybe they simply don’t want to.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top