• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GirlbrushThreepWoodrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Theme of the Week 13 - 5 games that made you say “What the hell were they thinking?”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Since I messed up this week, forgot and I’m late to this I’ll take the easy way out and try to mimic a cracked kind of “article” Shifty Eyed  for this week’s theme

1. King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity
Sierra decided it was a good idea to follow up on their beloved series with one of the ugliest clunkiest 3D game ever made. To make things even better, just ignore all the story of the family the series is known for and put the most generic character as the protagonist.  At least they never got to butcher Space Quest or Leisure Suit Lar… Nevermind

2. Broken Sword - Director’s Cut

Remember one of the most iconic intros in an adventure game? Let’s just take put somewhere else and star the game with a boring Nico part. In the meantime, let’s cut lines of dialogue, some animations and make the game uglier… What next, kickstart BS5 Director’s Cut next and take out Jasmine?

3. Indigo Prophecy final part

At some point during development things must have gone terribly wrong and David Cage probably just went “let’s put everything we can think of in there” - so Matrix, Zombie sex, Simon says, Kung Fu, oracles, etc. Makes the twist in Heavy Rain seem like Oscar worthy writing.

4. Telltale’s Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones is the hottest property out there so Telltale had to jump on that IP to pump one of their games. Problem is they wanted/had to use characters that didn’t show up in the show to not mess with events and apply their “(no)choice-based” system so they just created a House that should have been named House Sterk since the plot was all too familiar with the beloved TV characters.  Ugly engine, bad plot, derivative characters and full with terrible choices - worse than a Tarly in front of a dragon.

5. Grim Fandango

Couldn’t end without the obligatory classic game. Grim is here, could have been also because of the 3D graphics but they are somewhat justified in the game but mostly because of the terrible tank control scheme, fixed cameras and inventory. Made what an outstanding game feel like a chore to play. Great game, too bad it killed a big developer and almost killed a genre.*

*beware hyperbolic statement

More games to add?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ahem... no contest.

wilco - 15 August 2017 11:32 AM

In the meantime, let’s cut lines of dialogue, some animations and some puzzles

Fix’d. They dropped out entire puzzles out of the game! Indeed, the world has never seen a remake so bad!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 15 August 2017 12:27 PM

Ahem... no contest.

Winner! Activate youtube subtitles for full effect Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I actually like Game of Thrones Frown For me, it has to be Syberia 3. What happened there, to follow one of the most beloved series with this piece of crap.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Simon the Sorcerer 3!  I loved the first 2 games and so looked forward to the third and even though I finally got to enjoy the game and appreciate it, why did they do it with arrow keys and also why did they put in the action/manipulation sequences. It could have been such a good game if they would have taken out the carnival episode or having a skip key for that and also if it would have been point and click. I heard the Simon 3 was almost finished when it got scrapped and they changed it to the 3D but I sure wish they would post/sell the original Simon 3 that they scrapped.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

wilco - 15 August 2017 11:32 AM

2. Broken Sword - Director’s Cut

Remember one of the most iconic intros in an adventure game? Let’s just take put somewhere else and star the game with a boring Nico part. In the meantime, let’s cut lines of dialogue, some animations and make the game uglier… What next, kickstart BS5 Director’s Cut next and take out Jasmine?

Nice theme!  Thumbs Up
I definitely agree with the Director’s Cut of Broken Sword & apart from some of the other dumbed-down parts not for the better I actually feel resentment towards all those later players who got past that goat easily because it was made easier grrrr! Naughty  when it took me a week to work it out!  Laughing

I’m going to add Broken Sword 3 & 4 as although I enjoyed them they were just 2 examples of games that the developer changed the interface & style of in the hope of appealing to a wider market which at the same time were less appealing to the true fans .....so It was good to see BS5 getting back to roots!

Grim Fandango was probably one of the 1st AGs I needed to use the keyboard for & apart from the subtlety of Manny’s head turning I didn’t otherwise see any reason for it. 
Another game that was ruined by the interface was Dead Reefs - there was no advantage as it didn’t offer 3D movement without barriers & would have been more user friendly as a P & C adventure.

Ahem... no contest.

Never mind about that awful bit - the game is/was for the most part quite entertaining but let down by using plagiarised material which was a shame as it was a very competent production & gave the impression that the development team were skilled enough not to have done that? 

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 15 August 2017 12:42 PM

Ahem... no contest.

Ahem... the contest isn’t over until the fat lady sings.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 15 August 2017 12:42 PM

Ahem... no contest.

Brilliant! King Aleppo!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 15 August 2017 01:16 PM

I actually like Game of Thrones Frown For me, it has to be Syberia 3. What happened there, to follow one of the most beloved series with this piece of crap.

I’m not very rational concerning GoT so don’t listen to me, I’m that annoying guy that complains and the show each week (teleporting Euron? Dodging dragon fire?? why did they change dis from the book!!!) but is still anxious for each new episode… so I will play Season2 if it’s ever released Tongue
Syberia 3 almost made the list but I gave up on it early and never finished…

mbday630 - 15 August 2017 01:18 PM

Simon the Sorcerer 3!

chrissie - 15 August 2017 02:46 PM

I’m going to add Broken Sword 3 & 4  

I can see a pattern here, new list in the making - 10 franchises that were killed by 3D! Smile

Iznogood - 15 August 2017 05:41 PM

Ahem... the contest isn’t over until the fat lady sings.

Lol! - You were confused by the comedy ending - Indeed…

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

This is still the smelliest crap that has ever managed to be burned on to a disc. Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

For me it is clearly Goblins 3. I loved the first 2 games and this review below sums it up.

The last game in Coktel’s puzzle adventure series is a very disappointing title that’s not worthy of the name. As the title suggests, you control only one goblin this time around since there is only one “i” in the title. The absence of co-ordination puzzles is made up by the sheer amount of puzzles and increased difficulty—so much so that the game is near impossible to solve without hints or a lot of patience.

What makes the game very frustrating is a number of puzzles that you simply cannot solve without a lot of trial-and-error. For instance, in the second scene you must get through several bad guys. The only way to do that is to randomly try each item you have on each guy until one works—each guy needs one particular item, but there is no way to deduce which one. No clue whatsoever. If you’re a masochist, have a lot of free time on your hands, or want to burn your brain cells at a faster rate, then Goblins 3 might be for you. The rest of us are advised to stay away and play the first 2 games in the series instead.

Luckily Goblins 4 brought back the series to life with a return to the three protagonists of the original.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top