• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

mystery games and inventory puzzles

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

To not seem like an dinosaur yearning for parser (and i only yearn for graphical adventures with parser more, knowing how good parsers interactive fiction engines have theese days) and being ok with deaths in games, i put forward question that is hopefully more progressive. Do mystery games with lot of dialog and locations that open up to player along the game, really need many inventory puzzles? (Especially games that are long.)

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Depends on the synergy between the kind of inventory puzzle and the mystery tale, I’d think. I mean, Ace Attorney is mostly a series of the exact same inventory puzzle (use specific item on the right spot), but highly contextual and one that makes absolutely sense for the genre. Games like Broken Sword, where the ‘detective’ needs to improvise on the spot to allow them to continue the investigation work for that type of story too.

Trick DS (on the DS, obviously) had an interesting ‘inventory’ puzzle system too, where you needed to combine different types of clues (‘inventory item’) together to generate hypotheses, which you would try to defend in verbal confrontations. So you’d make a combination of items, circumstances, location and persons (all which were available as “items” in your records/“inventory). Sometimes, you’d get the right solution, sometimes you’d get a bogus solution, and sometimes you’d get the “it won’t budge”-type of message. But it was basically an inventory puzzle.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Tantei KID - 10 June 2017 03:09 AM

Trick DS (on the DS, obviously) had an interesting ‘inventory’ puzzle system too, where you needed to combine different types of clues (‘inventory item’) together to generate hypotheses, which you would try to defend in verbal confrontations. So you’d make a combination of items, circumstances, location and persons (all which were available as “items” in your records/“inventory). Sometimes, you’d get the right solution, sometimes you’d get a bogus solution, and sometimes you’d get the “it won’t budge”-type of message. But it was basically an inventory puzzle.

Never heard of this game. Got a link? Sounds like the deduction boards in the recent Sherlock Holmes games.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

http://www.konami.jp/trick/about/index.html

It’s a game based on the hit Japanese TV drama mystery series Trick, so there’s no overseas release. It was released back in 2010 I think. It’s pretty decent as a mystery game capturing the atmosphere of the series perfectly, but it’s incredibly short. Like probably shorter than Another Code short.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

That sounds great!

Tantei KID - 12 June 2017 02:48 AM

http://www.konami.jp/trick/about/index.html
It’s a game based on the hit Japanese TV drama mystery series Trick, so there’s no overseas release.

so there’s no overseas release.

no overseas release.

Frown

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

To bad. I keep wondering why the games based on Kindaichi isn’t released over here and was hoping this could be a good substitute.  Shifty Eyed

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Henke - 12 June 2017 11:33 AM

To bad. I keep wondering why the games based on Kindaichi isn’t released over here and was hoping this could be a good substitute.  Shifty Eyed

Well, the only (young) Kindaichi games that ever had any chance of localization were the two on the DS (as the manga hadn’t been translated yet during the GBC/PSX/Saturn days) , and the standalone one, developed by Tomcat, was awful, so you’re not missing out on anything. The Detective Conan & The Young Kindaichi Case Files game on the other hand was pretty good, and features a story written by Danganronpa’s Kodaka (he started his career in gaming as a scenario writer for hire). There’s a fan translation of the crossover, I think.

The PSX/Saturn one where you play as the murderer is absolutely brilliant though; it’s a novel game where you need to pull of the perfect crime, as Hajime will expose your crimes if you carelessly leave clues around.

And then there are the two From Software (Dark Souls) games of the original Kosuke Kindaichi novels on the DS, but they probably never had any chance of a localization (partly because they’re rather faithful adaptations of the original books which are super famous in Japan, but hardly known here).

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-06-15

PM

I’ve never heard about this game in France too. It’s looking fun.

It’s in our A.D.N.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top