• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

in favor of dying in games

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

It is of course not universal argument and falling off stairs and cliffs and dying for trying out every little thing is not excusable, but dying in game creates tension. So if person playing isn’t of the sort who is too much aggravated by it, dying can make game more exciting. If one looks at very average adventures that are not much fun, one could ask wouldn’t they be little more exciting games if they had reasonable amount of dying?
And now to related question, do early King’s Quest games belong to the survival horror genre? Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I made a similar thread years back and I’m not sure I still think the same way. I think the consensus was that dying really doesn’t create tension - it’s either annoying (having to save every 5 steps) or it instantly respawns you where you were before you died. Which, either way, isn’t tense.

But I still like death. It’s fun. Especially in text adventures. Smile

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Oscar - 09 June 2017 07:58 AM

I made a similar thread years back

Strangely enough search engine of forum lets me only browse one page of results, hiding rest away.

and I’m not sure I still think the same way. I think the consensus was that dying really doesn’t create tension - it’s either annoying (having to save every 5 steps) or it instantly respawns you where you were before you died. Which, either way, isn’t tense.

Difference being to other genres that player can avoid death with many different oucomes in other games? (In practise, if ouctome is not perfect one would restore in games belonging to other genres despite surviving.) For a moment i had silly idea about shooter where enemies don’t hurt you, just block exits until you kill them. Grin

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Another thought, maybe some of those people who play games in other genres would welcome death more enthusiastically and it would make adventure games more appealing to them?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

garbo - 09 June 2017 06:26 AM

And now to related question, do early King’s Quest games belong to the survival horror genre? Grin

Old Sierra games are the Dark Souls of adventure games Smile

Concerning the question, I’m in favor of dying in adventure games, I think it adds to the tension or at least adds some consequence for the actions of the player, as long as it’s not just annoying and makes sense. For example, Police Quest that I played recently, dying because I didn’t handcuff the suspect - ok ; dying because I ran a random red light or didn’t pick up a random item 5 chapters before- no.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

do early King’s Quest games belong to the survival horror genre? Grin

maybe but i d put LSL1 on top of that list Tongue

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

No survival horror genre was invented and term coined by Shinji mikami san Smile

“It’s a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it’s tough.- Mikami

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Surely both sides of the argument have been discussed already several times over in similar threads, but I’m strongly leaning in favour of deaths. And obviously it sounds like a truism, but it also depends on how well the deaths are implemented. Nobody wants unfair, unpredictable game-overs. Those are just annoying.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

nomadsoul - 09 June 2017 12:40 PM

No survival horror genre was invented and term coined by Shinji mikami san Smile

“It’s a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it’s tough.- Mikami

Two words for you: Alone in the dark

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Headycakesofdoom - 09 June 2017 01:13 PM

Two words for you: Alone in the dark

Oh no, here we go again… Smile

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I play adventure games to get rid of tension, not to cause more.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 09 June 2017 01:17 PM

Same here,too tired to go in details

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Ace Attorney really persuaded me of this. Instead of mindlessly throwing inventory items at a problem, AA required you to mull over what was needed to advance the story and I didn’t want to have to reload a save file for presenting the wrong evidence. The fear of a fail state added valuable stakes to the experience. 

Prior to that, I’d been told that you must never be able to die in an adventure game. That seems to be the MO for how adventure games had been evolving too - if there’s an issue with a feature or mechanic, throw it out. Text parser, nuanced verbs, fail states. AA was a bit more creative and integrated fail states in a really fair way.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think if dying in adventurers if done not excessively as how it was at Black Mirror series it would be a nice nudge to keep us, players, a bit more alert and yet relaxed with how adventure games must be, i mean it was done nicely balanced at BM.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

No offense to Shinki Mikami san, but this was the first survival horror game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_in_the_Dark_(1992_video_game)

Edit:

wilco - 09 June 2017 01:17 PM

Is there a history about this I don’t know about?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I personally hate dying in adventures, unless if you have done something stupid. Like if there is a bear sitting there, and I just walk to it, dying there makes sense. but if I misclicked and my character wandered of a cliff or if I died in a fairly safe environment, that just sounds silly.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top